PDA

View Full Version : Fundamental workflow problem in LW or just me ?

Emmanuel
05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi folks,

I have a big problem with a workflow issue in LW: when I want to animate a multimesh character object with several layers, or an object in a scene not parented to another object, I use "Use bones from object" (bone properties).
I think this option belongs to object/properties/deform, not bone/properties, as I want the OBJECT to use bones from ANOTHER object, I dont want BONES to use BONES from another object.
Am I right or is it just me ?

Greenlaw
05-01-2013, 11:48 AM
IMO, this option correctly exists in the Bones Property panel because what you're actually doing is piping in the bones settings for the current object from another object's bones settings. It's basically an override for the current object's bones, whether they exist or not.

G.

robpowers3d
05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Emmanuel,
Greenlaw is correct. The way that this is currently implemented the Bones Property panel is the place for this to be located. However, we are deep into week two of our development meeting here in our new offices in Burbank, CA and are certainly discussing optimizations for the character animation / rigging workflows as well as many other systems.

Emmanuel
05-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Ok, thanks, I just thought I would share that with You guys, I spent several hours with a buddy because we could for the lives of us NOT remember how "use bones from" worked in relation to multimesh files. If You know it its pretty obvious, but we couldnt understand why this feature sits
under bones while in reality it deals with how the currently selected object(layer) is deformed. Just a matter of experience, I guess.

nickdigital
05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Just a matter of experience, I guess.

Yeah, just log it into your brain how this works. Considering it's been like that for forever, don't expect a sudden change. Because then the rest of us would be confused. :D

Greenlaw
05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Or, in my case, more confused. :)

G.

Emmanuel
05-01-2013, 01:45 PM
or, in my case, more confused. :)

g.

rofl.