PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge to the client?

blackvx
04-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi,
I have been asked to model a robot similar to this one attached. The company would like a robot character to be their exclusive mascot. Once the model built they would like to have different kind of still shots of the character (So no animation for now).
I feel comfortable to design the initial model but I know I will spend tons of hours learning about the skeletons and rigs. This is something I would like to learn though.

So what would be a fair price to design this with let's say 2-3 different poses.

I need to get back with a price tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Michael

nickdigital
04-30-2013, 05:10 PM
This thread started with the same topic.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135116-Labor-and-pricing-estimate

blackvx
04-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks Nick!
So after reading it, Does $1500 fair for the initial work with 2 poses? And how about $150/render for subsequent action poses?

Michael

nickdigital
04-30-2013, 06:44 PM
What does that equate to for an hourly rate?

Just be sure to make sure everything you do is in writing between you and the client. Especially when it comes to how payment is expected and delivered. I often ask for a portion up front as a good faith payment. And never post final material until full payment is delivered. Feel free to watermark stuff.

Also make sure to be clear on the note process and what constitutes "approved" by the licent.

blackvx
04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Hourly? I am not sure since I never did skeletons and rigs. I'm sure I'll spend too many hours for the job and that's why I ask input for giving the client a fixed price for the initial work. My goal is to charge them a fair price for the task.
Thanks!

nickdigital
04-30-2013, 07:06 PM
If you have 11.5, Genoma will cut the rigging time down to a couple/few hours at worse.

How long do you think it'll take to do the other stuff (design, modeling, texture, lighting, posing)?

blackvx
04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Yes I do have 11.5. I haven't work with it much lately though. I'm more of a photographer and web site designer.
I didn't realize that Genoma was for any kind of rigs (I saw the spider example and I thought that was it :-) ). I think could model and textured in 1.5 day. The rendering will be on a white backdrop so I'll reuse a scene that I already have. I guess I'll check out the Genoma tutorials and see how easy it is.

Does it sound fair for the subsequent poses at $150? It's an internal mascot for the company employees and not a branding tool to attract client. I would charge more if that was the case.

l will make this all clear on the contract too.

Thanks!

nickdigital
04-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Look into Genoma. It will make quick work of your rigging work.

$150 is probably fine. At $50 an hour that's 3 hours, should be more than enough time for a single pose imho.

blackvx
04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Look into Genoma. It will make quick work of your rigging work.

$150 is probably fine. At $50 an hour that's 3 hours, should be more than enough time for a single pose imho.

Thanks for your help!

Otterman
05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Just to chip in. If you are only intending on doing a couple of renders and no animation, why bother rigging at all. Just fudge the geometry. Why make it harder than it should be. This will save you time and ultimately the client money! Should you need to animate in the future then sure, the biped pre rigged templates will save you time. Cant say I have used Genoma yet as I still rig from scratch. However I should imagine it would save you the steep learning curve!

Simon-S
05-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I usually charge about 650 for a character design/model and then about $60 per pose after that.

This one cost the client a little more as I had fur to deal with.

https://www.facebook.com/Gadgetpanda?v=app_2373072738

shrox
05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Just to chip in. If you are only intending on doing a couple of renders and no animation, why bother rigging at all. Just fudge the geometry. Why make it harder than it should be. This will save you time and ultimately the client money! Should you need to animate in the future then sure, the biped pre rigged templates will save you time. Cant say I have used Genoma yet as I still rig from scratch. However I should imagine it would save you the steep learning curve!

Yes, for simple robot, bone rigging isn't necessary.

nickdigital
05-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't you want to at least IK the legs? I wouldn't wanna FK pose those.

LW_Will
05-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Wouldn't you want to at least IK the legs? I wouldn't wanna FK pose those.

Well, you would be, sort of...

The leg of a robot can be made of objects. If you link the leg parts in a hierarchy, you can move them without bones, but with IK! Quite simple, really... ;-)

nickdigital
05-01-2013, 01:24 PM

The leg of a robot can be made of objects. If you link the leg parts in a hierarchy, you can move them without bones, but with IK! Quite simple, really... ;-)

Yes, to me that's still a rig. Just because you're not using bones doesn't mean there's no rig. So rigging the individual parts w/o bones but as a IK rig would be recommended imho. I'm just saying I wouldn't wanna FK a pose...what if the client says "That's great! Now make him squat!". Easy if there's IK on the legs, just pull his COG/hips down. If I FK'ed him like an action figure then it's not as easy-peasy.

----edit----
Upon re-reading Shrox's post, I think I jumped to a conclusion...so my bad for derailing this thread. Move along people, nothing to see here.

shrox
05-01-2013, 03:05 PM

Exactly. Bones not necessary, but certainly an option.

blackvx
05-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Nick and all, Thanks for all your input! I'll just focus on the modeling for now and see if I'll need to add rigs. I think they will ask for lots of different poses though (maybe more than 5). With LW 11.5, it might be worth it for me to learn Genoma.
It seems that the client gave us the green light to go (i.e.: initial deposit its way)!