PDA

View Full Version : turn off SSS preprocess

alenskas
04-30-2013, 04:15 PM
i have a scene with some objects using SSS in their texture nodes.
i want to render a pass however where those objects are turned off and just render some instance geo with no SSS.
BUT lightwave still has to calculate the preprocesssing of the objects with SSS before it starts rendering the rest.

i have deleted the objects with SSS from the scene and then it no longer requires preprocess and just gets on with the render GREAT.
except i want those objects to cast shadows. so how can i say
SSS objects - unseen by camera , and just turn off the SSS preprocess cause i dont see those objects anyway.

no.... i dont want to have to save those objects as new objects and strip the SSS from the nodal texture
beacause that is a pain in the butt :D

Afalk
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Why not just create a preset for your SSS surface - save it and dump a basic color only one on for the prepass . When you want to do your full SSS render pass -- just pop that saved off preset onto your object -- should take only seconds to do the swap.

erikals
05-01-2013, 01:30 PM
what about ticking off the node button?

alenskas
05-03-2013, 03:53 AM
thanks guys

afalk ... that would be a very clunky solution ( about the same as saving new versions of the objects for replacement )
and when you have lots and lots of objects in a scene ?

erikals ... i tried that. still tries to preprocess the SSS. maybe i missed one. will try again .

Tobian
05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Stupid question, but why not just use one of the skin shaders which don't call a preprocess, such as 'skin' or 'Simple skin' then you won't get the issue at all? 'Skin' is a very nice shader too.

alenskas
05-08-2013, 09:59 AM
thanks tobian. new on lightwave and didnt know about thaty...that some dont need this process. i setup a project using SSS and kinda stuck with it now as the look is approved by client. but will investigate this next time :D

Tobian
05-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Well which sss did you use? Fast and simple skin are pretty similar in terms of appearance, just one uses the preprocess. As a note, with the exception of 'skin', the default skin shaders aren't energy conserving, so you may run into issues, if you're trying to do physically plausible shading.