PDA

View Full Version : Aaton is out "build your own" is in... Very interesting article.

Surrealist.
04-30-2013, 08:31 AM
I get these emails all the time. But every now and again an article just stands out to me. Check this one out:

Electronics is so completely integrated now that building new equipment is just a matter of gluing together a few parts you can buy from the Internet. Is this true? And is this the biggest threat to traditional camera manufacturers? In this article, we investigate this, and the background to it, in detail

http://www.redsharknews.com/business/item/672-is-the-camera-industry-in-meltdown-or-is-the-a-new-age-for-cinematographers-and-can-you-build-a-camera-in-your-shed?utm_source=www.lwks.com+subscribers&utm_campaign=dc353e00d0-RSN_April_30_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_079aaa3026-dc353e00d0-75441961

Dexter2999
04-30-2013, 11:05 AM
I read the article as well. I don't know. Is it possible? Probably. Is it cheap or practical? That is the question. Much like building your own PC can cost as much or more than some off the shelf units. The economics of companies that buy in bulk and benefit from discounts because of this comes into play.

Another example. The company I work for has a deal set up with Apple to get computers direct for something like 15% to 20% discount. Yet, when I spec'ed out a system on their site I found I was paying more than buying the same system from B&H directly, 5-7% more. Then added to that was that B&H was throwing in two years of Apple Care free.

So, there is a company that makes 4K sensors. Do they even make individual sales? Is there a market for people who make bulk purchase of these sensors resell them? What is they savings to the consumer after the markup?

I found the article overall kinda "meh". But that is a step up from my feeling about the article that 4K has reached a tipping point. I strongly feel that consumers could care less about 4K and that it is marketing trying to push sales of TV's in a struggling economy that has also nearly reached saturation with current HD TV's.

Surrealist.
04-30-2013, 02:12 PM
I kinda got the point that it was not - build your own - so much, as it was the concept that if you are a camera maker today, that is a good analogy. Meaning more or less that the days of the big RED hype are long gone. But I mean even back then, there was a lot of talk about how you could build your own camera from components. But now it is more so.

So I think the point is making a digital camera is not that big of a deal anymore. It probably could get to the point where it is like building your own PC at some point in the future. Who knows?

dsol
04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Very interesting article - I thought it was pretty balanced and smart

JonW
04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Every time I look for a new computer I price the parts to get an idea at what I have to fork out, & every time my small supplier is about the same price for a finished box with 2 year warranty & great service over the many years. Even if they were a reasonable amount more I would still buy it from them. It's not worth my time considering the price difference. & I still get the parts from box to CPU I want with expert advise.

I think the key is to find the right supplier who will work with you to save time & money, unless maybe one has plenty of time!

BigHache
04-30-2013, 07:58 PM
It's an interesting article with neat ideas. There are some neat things you can do if you want to experiment. For example I built a sort-of prime lens for video cameras. It's a macro lens, a series of extension tubes, a focus lens and a pancake motor with a 50mm lens on the end. Does it work? Yeah sorta. Was it a good experiment to see what I thought about the idea of a prime lens before shelling out for one? Yeah I think so.

cresshead
04-30-2013, 08:15 PM
trouble is you can't build your own laptop or tablet pc

JonW
04-30-2013, 11:51 PM
It's an interesting article with neat ideas. There are some neat things you can do if you want to experiment. For example I built a sort-of prime lens for video cameras. It's a macro lens, a series of extension tubes, a focus lens and a pancake motor with a 50mm lens on the end. Does it work? Yeah sorta. Was it a good experiment to see what I thought about the idea of a prime lens before shelling out for one? Yeah I think so.

You don't even need to put a lens on the camera, as long as it doens't move & you have a black cloth covering gaps to stop light getting in. You will have a shift lens. Also turning the lens back to front for extreme closeups can help quality.

I had a couple of old packs of Polaroid for MF "Polaroidback". I made a Pinhole camera for my niece. She was blown away with the instant print from a mostly cardboard camera.

bazsa73
05-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Still must be difficult, one just doesn't glue together hypersensitive sensors in a dusty shed, for me it seems like quite a challenge.
You need equipments, tools and so on and they all cost a lot. But theoretically nice musing over the possibilities.