PDA

View Full Version : rigging issues

ianay
04-29-2013, 04:04 PM
I built a Skelegon for this model with weight maps etc..
The bones all work fine in layout apart from...
the arms
When i enter bone edit mode the bones are perfectly in place, then i exit bone edit mode and they shift..
Then I try rotating the bones and..
As you can see, its a bit of a mess..
its a while since i rigged and could do with some advice as to where im going wrong
As far as im concerned the weight maps are ok..
assistance anyone?

top image is in bone edit mode when all looks fine, then its out of bone edit.. finally the image at bottom is after rotation

Jim M
04-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Have you rested your bones?

ianay
04-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Nope.. How do i go about that?

Spinland
04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
What version of LW? If 10 or later the LW10 Layout manual starting at page 216 might be helpful.

ianay
04-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Lw9.6

Kryslin
04-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Nope.. How do i go about that?

This is in layout, not modeler :

Make sure you are at your initial pose frame (usually frame 0). select a bone, press 'r'. This 'rests' the bone, telling the deformation system that at this position, there is no deformation taking place; the mesh is at rest, so to speak.

Be very careful with resting your bones, or recording pivot rotations; you can really mess things up. Make sure you only do it at your reference frame.

jeric_synergy
04-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Be very careful with resting your bones, or recording pivot rotations; you can really mess things up. Make sure you only do it at your reference frame.
It would be NICE if it were MORE DIFFICULT to mess things up. @^@

ianay
04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
BINGO!
that was indeed the problem..
Cheers for assistance guys

Jim M
05-01-2013, 02:11 AM
You can select all the bones on frame 0 and press R. This will set the bones rest position, essentially a bind rest pose so the geometry is bound at that pose.
This is probably your issue. This is also probably the first thing you need to know when rigging, but equally it is very confusing if your are self teaching.

[edit] ah didn't see the other responses. Yes what he said....

Ryan Roye
05-01-2013, 05:14 AM
You can select all the bones on frame 0 and press R. This will set the bones rest position...

On a somewhat related note, I recommend re-mapping bone rest to something like "CTRL-R". "r" is right next to the default key for "move" (t), which is a high-frequency use command... you'll find it quite easy to slip up and accidentally hit t instead of r and have the possibility of wrecking your work.

ianay
05-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Ive rested all the bones and all seemed fine, with the hand anyway.. then I attempted to rotate the fingers.. Fingers will only rotate with 'use weight map' ticked and when the bone does rotate its not co-ordinated with the model (as the hand was)
Heres a pic showing before and after
Thanks for help

SquishyAni
05-03-2013, 02:04 AM
I've noticed that many times I have to make a separate weight map per finger, since each one so close together can influence the deformations of the others. So, are each of your fingers weight mapped separately? If not, you could be getting the influence from the other finger bones.

ianay
05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
they are weight mapped individually, I get the same result no matter if its a seperate weight map per finger or just one weight map for entire hand

Kryslin
05-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Check your bone strength, and the value of your weight maps.

If you can, post a copy of your model and scene, and we can take a look at it (I still have 9.6 installed...)