PDA

View Full Version : Master Plugin - Animation Takes for FBX?

Simon-S
04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi,

Up until now when dealing with FBX exports from Lightwave I've had to export a separate fbx file for each animation (walk, run etc etc).

Today my colleague noticed a plugin in the Master Plugins menu called 'Animation Takes' which seems to allow you to set up multiple animations or takes on a single timeline.

It seems pretty simple to setup but we can't figure out how to get these takes exported in the FBX file - when we view the exported file in Autodesks FBX converter, only a single take is shown. And there are no 'take' options in LW FBX exporter panel.

If we can get it to work it would speed up our pipeline no end.

So...I wondered if anyone has used 'Animation Takes' before with any degree of success?

The appears to be literally ZERO documentation online regarding this plugin so its a bit of a mystery.

Any help on this gladly received :)

EDIT** It looks like this is part of 'Valkyrie.p' - Lightwaves import/export function.

Greenlaw
04-29-2013, 10:22 AM
I agree, the importer should allow you to choose which take to use in an FBX scene when multiple takes are available. The way it works with the current importer is that if LightWave detects more than one take, it doesn't really import anything--I believe you get the first frame of one take but that's it. Then, you're kinda left in the dark about why you're data isn't coming through. I'm not sure that's a bug but it's certainly annoying.

IMO, if the importer is not able to deal with multiple takes, it should alert the user that he needs to strip out all but the desired take. But it would be even better if the user could choose which take he wants to import from the FBX.

G.

Greenlaw
04-29-2013, 10:29 AM
My situation has to do with importing but it sounds like you're trying to get LightWave to export multiple Takes. I'm not sure this is possible because the concept of Takes doesn't exist in LightWave.

This is just a guess but I wonder if the tool you're describing is a placeholder for a future capability. (Like the Coverage option in the RPF exporter.) Hopefully anyway.

G.

Simon-S
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
My situation has to do with importing but it sounds like you're trying to get LightWave to export multiple Takes. I'm not sure this is possible because the concept of Takes doesn't exist in LightWave.

This is just a guess but I wonder if the tool you're describing is a placeholder for a future capability. (Like the Coverage option in the RPF exporter.) Hopefully anyway.

G.

Seems odd to me that a plugin placeholder would be included. Maybe you're right and we can expect takes to be part of lightwave in the future. Fingers crossed.

Greenlaw
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes, I agree. The one precedence I know of is the Coverage data option mentioned above--I can REALLY use this feature if the option actually wrote anything to the file. :)

G.

GraphXs
04-29-2013, 08:05 PM
That would be a great addition! Is it possible to write a script that takes all the animations out at once through FBX? Like some type of batch FBX export that allows the user to put in frame value, take name, check mesh,animation,FBX name, etc?

Is that possible? Is the FBX save out exposed for batch export?

GraphXs
04-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Hmmm, is it also possible to use/make this type of batch export with the Unity/LW auto conversion scripts? Come on NT lets really make the FBX export the BEST on the planet! Oh and can ya fix the camera/light nodes, they always come for the ride even when they are not checked!

Simon-S
04-30-2013, 03:34 AM
It would be great if Newtek would look at the game development pipeline and sort out issues with collada, fbx, edge/normal smoothing (rather than being based on surface smoothing) to name a few.

I'm having a tough time right now convincing the ex-maya/3dsmax users on my team that Lightwave is a workable solution for game dev as we keep hitting hurdles for things that should just work, and do in most other 3d apps.