PDA

View Full Version : Selective Subpatch

pinkmouse
04-28-2013, 03:42 AM
I'm trying to create a blowmoulded plastic object. Subpatch is great for creating my nice flowing moulded internal shapes, so I'd like to keep the convenience of that tool, yet I need the outside edges sharp and crisp as they are simulating a diecut edge. Is there any way to apply a weight map to subpatch, or exclude my edge polys from the effect? Or do I just have to go back to the old ways with lots and lots of geometry and surface smoothing, increasing my poly count massively?

Thanks in advance.

dee
04-28-2013, 05:33 AM
There's a SubPatch Weight in Weightmaps. Select your edge points, click on Set Map Value, select "base" and set Value to 100%.

pinkmouse
04-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Smashing, ta very much. I suspected there would be, I was just looking in the wrong places. All this new stuff is a bit of a learning curve, I haven't really pushed modeler since 4.0 on my old A4000 when spline cages were the "in" thing :)

Surrealist.
04-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I came from 4.0 to 8.0 and that was a leap and a half. Coming to 11.5 has got to be a head spinner.

But doing subpatch now is more like metaform in many ways.

You can use CC, but be warned there are some problems down the line. I would suggest not using CC and weights in this case and simply go with a few edge loops at the edge to tighten it up. Check my sig for a tut on sub patches that will be helpful.

jasonwestmas
04-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Yeah, you'll get the most control with edge-loops when using sub-patches. FYI Weighting your vertexes isn't very useful for edge weighting. It's only useful for making the intersection of edges more pointed. If you use real edge weighting with catmull clark it's easy to see the difference. Catmull Clark in lightwave has problems with UV maps and it's slow-performing, so be warned.

hrgiger
04-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Just know that point weighting with lightwaves traditional subpatches will give you a drastically different result then weighting edges with cc subdivision. The former will make all edges going through a vertex sharp where the latter allows for sharpening an edge in one direction while maintaining a curve around the length of the edge sharpened.

pinkmouse
04-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the tips chaps, I can see a lot of experimenting coming up. I hadn't even got near CC yet, I was trying the basics first. Perhaps that was unwise, we''ll see. ;)

It really is quite strange coming back to LW after so long away, lots of stuff has advanced in leaps and bounds, yet you still can't do simple things like snap Knife to a point...

Anyway, a treat for the oldies!

jasonwestmas
04-28-2013, 10:55 AM
The former will make all edges going through a vertex sharp where the latter allows for sharpening an edge in one direction while maintaining a curve around the length of the edge sharpened.

Much better description, thanks.

Surrealist.
04-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the tips chaps, I can see a lot of experimenting coming up. I hadn't even got near CC yet, I was trying the basics first. Perhaps that was unwise, we''ll see. ;)

It really is quite strange coming back to LW after so long away, lots of stuff has advanced in leaps and bounds, yet you still can't do simple things like snap Knife to a point...

Anyway, a treat for the oldies!

Yeah there are some things missing. But you will also find some new tools that help somewhat. There is the Add Edges tool under the Detail Tab. And also LWCAD which has better snapping functions.

probiner
04-28-2013, 12:53 PM
CC Edge Weight is not reliable on LW and Sub-patch Vertex Weight won't do what you're asking for.
My advice would be to add very tight control edges: http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html

CC Edge Weight is like most Edge markup a way to treat geometry in UV, Smooth Shading, Subdivision Interpolation, etc like it was split without actually splinting it. Basically when you weight an edge loop, you're isolating its vertices from SudB neighbor interpolation outside of the loop.
So you will get the same visual result if you just cut and past back the polygons outlining the intended edge. It's not a great managing practice, but...

I still have to use it sometimes for the lack Edge Sets (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131672-Edge-Sets) features in LW. Hopefully this will change in the future. Subdivision wise the drawback is that again you don't have control on how CC open edges behave, hard or soft, like in other apps.

Cheers