PDA

View Full Version : Noob question: Network-based Cameras?

schu
04-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Hey there people,

I may be getting a Tricaster40 for use in a school environment for a daily school announcement broadcast...LOTS to learn for me.

Question: Is there a way to grab the video feed from a network camera (like a security camera for example, or a wifi-enabled camcorder) and use it as a source in a Tricaster? I watched the iVGA training segment-- looks great and I suppose we could use an ipad as a remote video camera. I was hoping for something a little more versatile than that to do live remote interviews. Panasonic makes some camcorders that can send a video signal over the network.... is there a way to get devices like that to "talk" to the Tricaster?

kanep
04-28-2013, 01:50 PM
You can use an iVGA Pro system as a 'bridge' to get video from these devices in. If you can see the video on your PC desktop or in a window, use iVGA Pro to grab that part of the screen (or the entire screen) and then pipe that into a network input.

3xScreen
04-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi Schu, Kane's iVGA Pro suggestion is a good one.

For adding Axis IP cameras to our Tricaster productions we have used Axis P5534 720P cameras http://www.axis.com/products/cam_p5534/ in conjunction with the Axis P7701 Decoder http://www.axis.com/products/cam_p7701/

We take DVI out of the P7701 and then convert that to SDI but for a TC40 analog workflow you could simply take the Composite out along with audio.

regards, the 3xScreen team

inforum
04-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Just chiming in to support what has already been said.

We use several IP cameras in our work. I've had the best success just pulling the RTSP in via VLC and outputting either via iVGA or through an AJA capture card I have. The added benefit of using the AJA is that the IP camera can be brought in as an HD-SDI source and frees up one of my network connections for something else.

With that being said... I would LOVE to see a direct RTSP ingest function built into the main Tricaster software. Much less powerful software based switchers already have this kind of functionality(xSplit, Wirecast, etc). I'm not exactly sure why NewTek hasn't included it yet.

allisons
05-07-2013, 01:10 PM
You could use the Marshall VS-102-HDI (you would only need one of them, not a pair). It is able to receive an RTP stream from an IP camera (video only, no audio) and then output composite (or HDMI). I didn't think the video quality was that great using iVGA, it was great for powerpoints but full motion video was jerky. Maybe it was my network...
Go to IP applications tab and see Application #2
http://www.lcdracks.com/servers-cameras/servers/VS-102-HDI.php

kanep
05-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Make sure you are using "iVGA Pro" for full motion video, it can handle up to 30fps a second. You do need to be working on gigabit Ethernet to get smooth video.

joedemax
05-13-2013, 06:46 AM
Just another note - iVGA PRO can directly take in any standard Windows video device rather than having to screen capture it. Should work with any standard webcams or capture cards.