PDA

View Full Version : Knocking back a node surface?

djwaterman
04-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Often with the node editor you get a result that you think is pretty good and it is plugged into the main surface menu(tab). But what do you do (use) if all you want is to knock back the result a little bit, like if it was a layer in Photoshop you could dial down the transparency a bit. So I imagine a node that you could put right at the end of the chain before it plugs directly into the main tab, and this node would be like a filter that only allows a percentage of the node chain to go through to the main surface tab. You could dial up or down the percentage of the effect. Does this node already exist? It seems like it must.

Sensei
04-27-2013, 07:43 AM
I had to reread what you said couple times..
So you have set up surface using regular Surface Editor not nodal way, just layers, traditional.
And then you want plug node which will be using traditional surfacing but append its effect to final, with opacity control telling how much of node use and reverse how much of traditional use?

alexos
04-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Erm, can't you just use the Material Mixer node for that? Or unless you meant what Sensei's referring to, in which case you could use Denis' Surface+ node, I think. But I must be missing something here, because I find the whole concept rather elusive - I mean, "dial down"... to what? :)

ADP.

JoePoe
04-27-2013, 08:23 AM
I think I get you.

db&w Surface Booster Node. But, you can dial it down in the surface itself, no?

djwaterman
04-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I knew I'd have to resort to an image in the end. Here is what I mean.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/djwaterman/Node_zpse53053e1.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/djwaterman/media/Node_zpse53053e1.jpg.html)

And that node would allow you to dial down the property of the final effect before it gets through to the Surface. I'm sorry I haven't really explored your answers because I can see my description just didn't make the idea clear, so I wonder if there is something that already does this.

(the node set up displayed is just a random bunch of things thrown together for the image, the main point is the placement of the mystery node)

Sensei
04-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Dial down = reduce amplitude?

Color vector * scalar < 1.0 = color that has lower values in RGB.

f.e. Math > Vector > Multiply 0.5,0.5,0.5 will do r*0.5,g*0.5,b*0.5 which is equal to brightness 50%.
In such simple case Math > Vector > Scale 50% will do the same.

djwaterman
04-27-2013, 11:45 AM
That seems like an answer, but it should work the same whether it's plugged into color, transparency or any of the inputs, it's just a node that sits at the end of the chain and allows you to tune the amount of the effect that gets through to the final surface, that's my dream. But it seems like I need to choose Math Vector and the appropriate one for what I want it to do.

Sensei
04-27-2013, 11:51 AM
That seems like an answer, but it should work the same whether it's plugged into color, transparency or any of the inputs, it's just a node that sits at the end of the chain and allows you to tune the amount of the effect that gets through to the final surface, that's my dream.

Is it not the case?

JoePoe
04-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Your stuff > make material > material booster into final material input on surface...... ?

(okay so that's two nodes.... BUT the last one gives you some control of diffuse, spec, reflec, refrac, and transparency)

alexos
04-27-2013, 04:59 PM
And that node would allow you to dial down the property of the final effect before it gets through to the Surface. ...

No, well, I did understand you then, but my point was... With PS layers, as you said, making one more or less transparent will reveal what's underneath; but in the case of a surface, there is nothing there - except the generic "default" 100% diffuse, zero everything else. So, unless I'm still missing something, you would be basically mixing your surface with the default one - like this:

Or am I being obtuse? Well, it's always a possibility... :P

ADP.

jwiede
04-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Your stuff > make material > material booster into final material input on surface...... ?

(okay so that's two nodes.... BUT the last one gives you some control of diffuse, spec, reflec, refrac, and transparency)
This does sounds like the closest to what the OP described, if I understand correctly.

UnCommonGrafx
04-28-2013, 05:00 AM
The multiply node is what I use as my potentiometer: dial it up, dial it down.
It works the best for this barring someone doing a graphic knob.

For color data, Db&w's color corrector is the best I've used.