PDA

View Full Version : Creating noodles deforming with Dynamics (Is this possible in Lightwave 11.5)

jboudreau
04-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Hi Guys

Is it possible to make strands of spaghetti fall into a bowl like this video here? It was done in blender using the bullet dynamics system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyjE5L4-1lQ

Thanks,
Jason

khan973
04-27-2013, 05:51 AM
Hahaha, this simulation is epic!

jboudreau
04-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Hahaha, this simulation is epic!

Hahaha, Yeah I know.

After playing around with soft body dynamics I think it can be done.

Here are a few still frames from my simulation. Still needs work but I'm getting close

Thanks
Jason

ernpchan
12-15-2016, 08:03 AM
This looks really good. What are the settings?

Every4thPixel
12-15-2016, 08:05 AM
You should use 2point poly chains for that and meta link your mesh to that chain.

mummyman
12-15-2016, 08:08 AM
Absolutely can be done! Def do what Every4thPixel said.. works like a charm. I'm doing the 2point poly chain + bullet for something. Finally got it working after lots of tweeking. But the old FX (cloth, soft) work too! Good luck. Keep posting the results!

Farhad_azer
12-15-2016, 10:51 AM
This is really really nice,

Proton also had a tutorial similar to this but using old dynamics tools, anyone remembers that?

jeric_synergy
12-15-2016, 11:42 AM
W/2pt polychains, do you get a lot of intersection/penetration?

prometheus
12-15-2016, 12:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAP5sbBC3qU&list=PLdaQ-nxd0g2dIu2-FMjBVkjBaF_7JJ9F4&index=9

mummyman
12-15-2016, 12:20 PM
W/2pt polychains, do you get a lot of intersection/penetration?

You'd have to compensate for the thickness of the polygons.. lots of testing! Unless you can get the simulation working on super lowrez noodles

- - - Updated - - -

This is really really nice,

Proton also had a tutorial similar to this but using old dynamics tools, anyone remembers that?

This was one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLtuK99R4Bo

jeric_synergy
12-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Tnx for the link, mummyman.

mummyman
12-15-2016, 01:50 PM
No prob!

jwiede
12-18-2016, 06:34 PM
Hahaha, Yeah I know.

After playing around with soft body dynamics I think it can be done.

Except that the main point of that video is that what was shown was using _rigid body_ dynamics (after automated convex mesh decomposition).

Replicating it in "native" LW would be very difficult, and labor-intensive. You would essentially need to manually decompose the noodle meshes into convex-only subsections and then feed those into LW's Bullet RBD.

The reason what they're doing is note-worthy is because soft-body dynamics are too computationally-expensive to be of much practical use in game engines, and so being able to replicate such soft-body-like scenarios using rigid-body dynamics makes them much more feasible for use with game engines. The main blockage to that has been the convex mesh decomposition requirement, and the video exhibits a potential solution.

Using soft-body dynamics to replicate the results completely misses the point of the demonstration in the first place -- doing so is like someone capturing a human making faces with their cell phone and saying they "replicated" Chris Jones' work. :D Even doing it by manually decomposing the noodle meshes still misses the point, because the automated decomposition IS the point.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with posting SBD-based alternative approaches, just pointing out they don't really "replicate" what's going on in that particular video, which is a tech demo of a potential solution to a very specific problem.