PDA

View Full Version : Flocking system in 11.5 for small birds

tcoursey
04-26-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm having a hard time getting the flocking system to give me an organic feeling when it comes to small birds flying out of a tree.

Let me explain. It seems they fly out and pretty much stay on a straight line. I'm wanting some bobbing and such. Randomness to the path.

I've tried changing the Goal a bit but if they get to it they hover like nats, if they can't catch it they continue pretty straight.

Am I missing something or does anyone have some tips?

prometheus
04-26-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm having a hard time getting the flocking system to give me an organic feeling when it comes to small birds flying out of a tree.

Let me explain. It seems they fly out and pretty much stay on a straight line. I'm wanting some bobbing and such. Randomness to the path.

I've tried changing the Goal a bit but if they get to it they hover like nats, if they can't catch it they continue pretty straight.

Am I missing something or does anyone have some tips?

if youre not up to speed with flocking. you could just use ordinary particle emitter emitting from the branches, add a directional wind reset the y-velocity channel that is 1 by default to zero, and use
procedural textures instead to drive the particles randomly, you have to try some different procedurals and scaling til you get it right, then add instancer to the particle emitter and add you bird object in there and then choose intance type as emitter.

no need to calculate either, but later on you might want to learn flocking anywas since that has algorithms more naturaly like built in once you learn it.

Michael

tcoursey
04-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Yea I'm familiar enough with the particle system methods. That's what I've used in the past. Had some free time and was trying to figure some new stuff out. As you mention it's more organic, but may have some limitations, not sure yet. Thanks.

Anyone else have some input?