PDA

View Full Version : Controller confusion.

blueshift
04-24-2013, 10:00 PM
113880113881113882113883I have very little experience with rigging. I was trying to rig a Darth Vader character in LW ver10 by following Lino Grandi's Rigging Revealed DVD. Everything seemed to be going great until I got to adding and testing the Third controller in my case the Neck controller. Before I got to the controllers I tried rotating most of the bones with deformations on and they all seemed to be working fine but when I added the Neck controller and tried rotating the Base Spine Controller the Neck wasn't following correctly. See attached Pics. The pitch seems correct forward and back but the bank seems opposite. I've tried everything I could think of but nothing I did seemed to work just getting more and more confused. I'm hoping that someone with alot more experience rigging may be able to spot my mistake from the pics more easily than I can. I checked the parenting and the rotation item-same as item and they seem correct. I'm just getting more confused by this the more I try. Could somebody help me Pleaaaaaaase!

Thanks
Jim

jboudreau
04-24-2013, 10:19 PM
113880113881113882113883I have very little experience with rigging. I was trying to rig a Darth Vader character in LW ver10 by following Lino Grandi's Rigging Revealed DVD. Everything seemed to be going great until I got to adding and testing the Third controller in my case the Neck controller. Before I got to the controllers I tried rotating most of the bones with deformations on and they all seemed to be working fine but when I added the Neck controller and tried rotating the Base Spine Controller the Neck wasn't following correctly. See attached Pics. The pitch seems correct forward and back but the bank seems opposite. I've tried everything I could think of but nothing I did seemed to work just getting more and more confused. I'm hoping that someone with alot more experience rigging may be able to spot my mistake from the pics more easily than I can. I checked the parenting and the rotation item-same as item and they seem correct. I'm just getting more confused by this the more I try. Could somebody help me Pleaaaaaaase!

Thanks
Jim

Hi

Could you send me the scene with the rig I can test it here and see if it does the same thing on my end?

Thanks
Jason

blueshift
04-24-2013, 10:43 PM
I've never tried sending a scene file before so let me know if you got it and if not maybe abreif description of how I do that. From the Forum?113886
I think I got it right that's this attachment not the controllers. :>

Thanks Jason

jboudreau
04-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Hi

I opened up the scene and from what I can tell you have the H and B channels mixed up. When you rotate the H control (red Ring on the base spine control) It should be twisting the body and when you rotate the B "Bank" Control (Blue ring on the base spline control) It should bank the body from side to side. Yours is doing the opposite. The B channel is acting like the H channel which is twisting the body and the H channel is acting like the B channel which is bending the body from side to side.

This is why the Pitch channel works (bending the character forward and backward because the P channel is correct.

I'm going to look into it further to see if I can fix it. This is what it is doing in 11.5 hopefully it is doing the same in version 10

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
04-24-2013, 11:41 PM
I've never tried sending a scene file before so let me know if you got it and if not maybe abreif description of how I do that. From the Forum? I think I got it right that's this attachment not the controllers. :>

Thanks Jason

Hi

Here is the fixed scene, I had to go back and fix the neck controller too

Thanks
Jason

jboudreau
04-25-2013, 06:36 AM
I've never tried sending a scene file before so let me know if you got it and if not maybe abreif description of how I do that. From the Forum?[ATTACH]113886 I think I got it right that's this attachment not the controllers. :>

Thanks Jason

Hi

Here is a .zip file of the scene incase you are having problems downloading the .lws file

Thanks,
Jason