PDA

View Full Version : How to Keep Numeric Panel Permanently Opened / Docked?

akaracquel
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Is there a way to keep the numeric panel permanently opened & docked to the side in Win7 for Modeler?

nickdigital
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM
It won't dock a la AfterEffects. It should stay open once you have it open. It stays open for me and I keep it up on my second monitor. Are you hitting the 'n' key multiple times?

akaracquel
04-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah ...got tired of dragging it out of the way & turning it off/on all the time. Thought there was a way to actually split/divide the menu to drag dockers onto the side due to seeing that layout in tutorials. Pop-out option from the side would be good to increase the working space but i can work with minimising the main window for now. Thanks.

nickdigital
04-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Nope, dockable windows is a long suffering feature request. When I had just the single monitor I would just set my Modeler window to not be maximized and then positioned my other windows accordingly after resizing my main window. I do that with Layout too as I like to have the Graph Editor below my timeline, a la messiah. That's what you're seeing in people's tutorial videos.

Ryan Roye
04-24-2013, 09:31 PM
If you know autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com) script, I don't think it would be an overly complex function to make. You can dictate which windows stay open/visible, how they behave, do automatic moving, etc. There is a learning curve, but it gives you the ability to add features to existing programs or tie in code with any action you do.

probiner
04-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Mine is always there after I left it there.

http://ivanheckman.com/allsnap/
Helps getting those snaps easy.

Cheers

Snosrap
04-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Just make room for it and put it where you want it. Like so maybe.

erikals
04-25-2013, 12:48 AM
tested allSnap at last, but i wish i had a shortcut to make it only work in Modeler/Layout...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeq7AG9f5qU

guess a AHK script could fix it though... Zzzzz... :sleeping:

the good thing with going fully AHK instead is like chazriker says, many possibilities.
you could for example make presets, where hitting "Alt+Space" would place the "n" and "w" windows to the right position. pretty clever... maybe you could lock them too...

yep > http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/75714-lock-window-position

JonW
04-25-2013, 06:09 AM
If you can do a second monitor, preferably on it's on GC for calibration, it only needs to be a very very cheap GC, it makes life so much easier! Got mine set up on the left & vertically, I need to see a lot of layers at a time!

prometheus
04-25-2013, 10:35 AM
the settings of positioning numeric panel at the side as you want them, it is only saved if you have them like that and close lightwave, then it will be written to the config files.
if you happen to have a crash before that, then it is gone.

Now...a couple of tools in modeler have their on module panel settings and isnīt behaving as a the rest as numeric panels, I hope they can make that more unified with all modeller tools if possible to avoid
tool panels covering work area, when you infact has a numeric panel set up for editing purposes..itīs a bad UI workflow I think.
Docking and expanding/collapsing panels ala adobe would be the best for Lightwave further on I think.

Im reluctant to go through a learning curve for autohotkey, and have an external program running in background just to have these functions.

Michael

Greenlaw
04-25-2013, 11:10 AM
One thing to be aware of: Some tools have a panel that may be a lot longer the default size of the Numeric panel--if you don't pay attention, features might be cropped out that you'll never know about. Luckily, you can resize the panel to reveal everything to tool has to offer. As mentioned above, after you quit Modeler, it will remember your preferred panel size setting.

It's probably just me but I don't bother keeping the Numeric panel up all the time, preferring less screen clutter while I'm working. It's easy enough to call up by pressing 'n'.

G.

probiner
04-25-2013, 11:10 AM
tested allSnap at last, but i wish i had a shortcut to make it only work in Modeler/Layout...
Advanced Tab > Options > Invert Toggle Key

Now when you press ALT key and drag a window or scale it it will snap. bu by default it won't.

Cheers

prometheus
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
One thing to be aware of: Some tools have a panel that may be a lot longer the default size of the Numeric panel--if you don't pay attention, features might be cropped out that you'll never know about. Luckily, you can resize the panel to reveal everything to tool has to offer. As mentioned above, after you quit Modeler, it will remember your preferred panel size setting.

It's probably just me but I don't bother keeping the Numeric panel up all the time, preferring less screen clutter while I'm working. It's easy enough to call up by pressing 'n'.

G.

yes..I know that, but if the UI numeric panel could work as the framework panel with expanding and collapsing, the issue of tools having longer default would be minimized, or simply
rewrite the tool parameters/sliders to work better within a standard mainframe numeric value.

Michael

Greenlaw
04-25-2013, 03:11 PM
yes..I know that...

My suggestion was meant for the new LW user but, yeah, it would be good if it just did it on its own. :)

G.

akaracquel
04-26-2013, 06:55 AM
hmm... :question: coding isn't my forte :( but the autokey & allsnap options look interesting and tempting for me. Throwing in a conceptual UI WIP ...can see it would need a lot of thought, as Greenlaw mentioned re: width / sizing issues, other elements too I'm sure. Finding the fullHD monitor is already just a little bit too much on my eyes with my son working right beside me all day, sensing a higher-res/2nd one will probably give me headaches, opting to stay in the single-monitor camp for now.

Minimising the main window is OK for now, will see how it goes with the stat/numeric panels permanently open, get a feel for how it affects the workflow in terms of whether or not I'll have a need to close/minimise them first, then think about tackling it further with the suggestions above if needed, as i do like how it's done in Corel X6 / Adobe CS6 - thanks :thumbsup:

erikals
04-26-2013, 12:54 PM
i've just found that it's possible to do that in AHK, you can make it look 100% like that.
but, it takes alot of time :/ (once done however, it would run like that automatically)

neat GUI solution though, might be something for NT/Matt to look into http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

probiner
04-26-2013, 01:19 PM
I do not wish LW12 to have AHK on it's feature list, stahp you guys :D

Waves of light
04-26-2013, 01:51 PM
I have a two monitor setup. Main modeling on one, all pop-up menus on the other (albeit with some overlapping others). I backup of my configs once I have all my windows in the correct places. I can then revert back to them, should I move windows, or a crash occurs.

But the one thing I can't do is get all the windows to behave in the same way (as mentioned above). E.g. Scene Editor - Using the hotkeys CTRL+F1 brings up Scene Editor, but if you press CTRL+F1 again, it does not disappear or minimise, like say toggling 'p' does for the render globals tab.

Seen AHK on Erikals YTube channel and may be tempted to look into it.

erikals
04-26-2013, 03:12 PM
I do not wish LW12 to have AHK on it's feature list, stahp you guys :D

how could wouldn't it be to have animated .gifs as part of the LW GUI... hehehe :hey: :devil:

or even add sound effects...!

Snosrap
04-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Nice looking concepts akaracquel. Matt Gorner is NT's UI designer - here are some of his LW concepts from several years ago:http://www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_vx/after.html

OFF
04-26-2013, 10:56 PM
+1, akaracquel!

erikals
04-27-2013, 04:17 AM
here are some of his LW concepts from several years ago:http://www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_vx/after.html

looks neat, though it's more efficient to have the menu to the right as it creates less chance of tendonitis.
tendonitis, been there, done that...

Andy Webb
04-27-2013, 04:19 AM
I use the Display Options panel a lot to load plans in the background, that panel always opens centre screen on my main display, really annoying.

I know it will stay open, but the amount of time I hit D, with it open, and close it by mistake is just too much :mad:

I use AHK to give me a wheel zoom in modeller, just can't do without it.

Why modeller and layout can't come with a mouse wheel zoom (without holding the ALT key down), I don't know, it should be a standard function to have these days. :(

JoePoe
04-27-2013, 03:11 PM
:thumbsup:
Shouldn't be too hard to implement.
The Node editor already does this (....to some extent, as an extension of the window and not a snapped entity on it's own. But still!)

Areyos Alektor
04-27-2013, 07:23 PM
It could be better, but for my part I don't pity. Modeler stores the size and position of the window and panels : to the left I have the Layers/Statistics/Numeric and right Vertex Maps/Presets. This leaves me the second screen for something else (Layout, Photoshop, 3D Coat, etc.).

Areyos Alektor
04-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Why modeller and layout can't come with a mouse wheel zoom (without holding the ALT key down), I don't know, it should be a standard function to have these days. :(

You got it:
http://www.3dconnexion.fr/products/spacenavigator.html
It's much better and it works in a number of application (Photoshop, 3D Coat, Blender, etc...).

akaracquel
04-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Nope, dockable windows is a long suffering feature request.

I'm interested in seeing the ideas that other people have come up but couldn't find any threads online that showed the suggestions already made on dockable windows specifically. Don't know how much of it is due to the limited search function on the forum vs it being a case of of me needing to dig through the more generalised 'what would you like to see improved' topics of where they might've been shared.

Learning about issues/methods mentioned above has helped a lot with regards to various things to keep an eye out for as I try to nut out the ideal setup at this end, thanks.

@Snosrap - loved seeing Matt's development work, remember feeling deeply enchanted by it, he's clearly talented - perhaps it's only a matter of time :hey:

@Waves of light - loved your method, do you have more than one backup config set up for working in different modes (e.g - texturing vs animation)?

Noticed the surface editor has a pop out to the left, while the node editor pops out to the right, made me wonder how people tackle lining up windows for Layout with 1 or two monitor set ups? Keen to see screen capture examples of left vs right, top or bottom alignments etc, if people have the time to share.

@Erikals - submitted a dockable window feature request via Fog Bugz anyway, to consider an option to dock on top/bottom+left+right :D ..but in the meanwhile - taking up the learning curve for AHK is still very tempting :ohmy:

Anywayz - appreciating the shift/change in my current setup by having windows lined up, it's made a big difference :thumbsup:

nickdigital
04-28-2013, 02:09 AM
I'm interested in seeing the ideas that other people have come up...

This script is helpful for Layout.

http://mentalfish.com/2010/05/property-panel/

erikals
04-28-2013, 03:30 AM
anyone saw jrandom's code? >

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113367&d=1365284551

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134870-The-tabs!-They-work!&p=1318723#post1318723

Andy Webb
04-28-2013, 06:16 AM
You got it:
It's much better and it works in a number of application (Photoshop, 3D Coat, Blender, etc...).

Does it run under windows 8 64 bit, can't see any mention of it on their website?

Waves of light
04-28-2013, 08:19 AM
@Waves of light - loved your method, do you have more than one backup config set up for working in different modes (e.g - texturing vs animation)?

Do you know what, I don't, but I should. I have all the standard LW tabs for both modeler and layout, then all my newly installed plugins in a dedicated 'plugins' tab. Then all my most used functions on the CTRL+SHIFT+RMB and MMB and LMB. That with all of my window positions in their correct places.

I just have to remember to re-backup each time I install a new plugin.

I was, at one point, going to look into having that part of the directory i.e. .NewTek/Lightwave/11.5/ as an svn structure, so it would give me some sort of version control... but never had the time to play around and test. That way, if I ever had a crash, or required my configs for use on another PC, I would have easy access to them.

Cheers,

Ricky.

jwiede
04-30-2013, 09:56 AM
You got it:
Nearly everyone these days has a mousewheel or some kind of similarly-mapped equivalent (slider/spinner/etc.). Having it control zoom unmodified is a defacto standard among most 3D pkgs, so having it work differently in LW just deters uptake by new users, and causes muscle memory conflict for existing users who switch between pkgs, full stop. If there are other, higher-priority dev needs preempting them from altering the mousewheel behavior, so be it, but if they're leaving it as-is intentionally, at the least it'd be nice to understand their rationale.

erikals
04-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Nearly everyone these days has a mousewheel or some kind of similarly-mapped equivalent (slider/spinner/etc.).

...just not Tablet / Wacom people... :eek: