PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Selection Sets

vncnt
04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Can anyone confirm that Object Selection Sets in Layout are disappearing after a while?
At least since LW9.

Fogbugz it. No evidence. Case closed.
Now it just happened again.

I've been editing my objects and it's Layers in Modeler.
I've been re-parenting objects and bones.
I've been editing dopetrack marker text, bone weight maps, keyboard shortcuts, etc.

Suddenly BANG! All selection sets are gone.

If I open the LWS file in Notepad and search for the "CurrentItemFlyout" section, it's gone.
When I copy+paste that section (including all object reference numbers and selection set names) into the damaged LWS and open in Layout they're back and they seem to work fine again.

I don't think it's my job to find the evidence that this is indeed a bug.
But since the Fogbugz report has been closed I hope someone else has the answer.

vncnt
05-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Today it happened again after I added a null and parented that null to my main object.

chikega
05-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I haven't tested out selection sets. But I can verify that I lose selections when switching back from Layout to Modeler. The selections become scrambled ... arbitrary polygons are selected all over the object. This happens consistently on both my Mac and PC. Very strange.

jwiede
05-14-2013, 02:40 AM
Today it happened again after I added a null and parented that null to my main object.

Yeah, something with hierarchy operations (un-/parenting, etc.) definitely seems to trigger nuking selection sets as a heisenbug. One reason why closing these bugs so quickly is such a bad idea is that it prevents effective "gathering" of evidence over time, which in turn can expose behavior patterns that help point to the root cause / smoking gun.