PDA

View Full Version : Anime Studio Pro for $67

Rayek
04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software-Inc-ASP90HBX2/dp/B008MR2HWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366780567&sr=8-1&keywords=anime+studio+pro+9

A very good deal. More than worth the money, I would say.

And finally proper curves control in the graph editor!

nickdigital
04-23-2013, 11:43 PM
How does this compare to Flash or Toon Boom? I've used Flash and while there are some great things about it, it's far from being a perfect animation tool. It's also a dead piece of software.

The price is certainly attractive. Is this a time sensitive offer?

Rayek
04-24-2013, 12:09 AM
I guess it is. However, Smith Micro does make such offers every once in a while, but this is the lowest I have seen so far.

Flash cannot really compare to Anime Studio 9's graph editor at all (in Flash it never worked as it should). The bones sytem is incredibly simple to use, and corrections can be made easily to the deformations when things go wrong in the extremes. It also offers vector drawing tools, 2d physics, automatic secondary animation (like wobbly stuff), a character room (which at first glance looks toy-like, but you can create your own templates), a real 3d space and 3d camera (bit like AfterFX), support for 3d objects to be placed in your scenes, automatic lip synch/Papagayo, inverse kinematics, vector layers, image layers, particles, bone physics and constraints, a 3d camera, full hdtv support, depth of field, export to flash, and much more. Even control bones are now supported (for example, control the squashing of an object with a control bone, just like in 3d apps).

I work with Flash, ToonBoom Harmony, and Anime Studio Pro. Anime studio pro is not really suitable for traditional frame by frame animation, but more geared towards the trendy cartoon styles you see used in South Park, Powerpuff Girls, Family Guy, etc.

The new motion graph functionality is worth the price alone. If you've ever animated characters in Lightwave before, you will feel right at home.

For 2d character animation it blows Flash out of the water, in my opinion.

Oh, and did I mention 2d motion tracking is also built-in?

Dodgy
04-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Yeah, another long time user here. It's basically a lot like Lightwave, with bones, IK etc., but using splines instead of polys. The new smart bones are fantastic, allowing you to drive Motion Mixer like motions from bone rotations to do improved joints, cycling animations etc.

Greenlaw
04-24-2013, 02:17 AM
I used it for a while, starting back when it was called 'Moho' many years ago. (The name was changed to 'Anime Studio' when it was purchased by Smith-Micro, to make it consistent with their other drawing product Manga Studio, which I still use to draw all my comic strips.)

In the beginning, I thought Moho was a bit awkward to use for switching cels but other aspects, like the rigging system, seemed promising. I had upgraded to Anime Studio Pro 5, but later switched to Toon Boom Animate Pro when that program became available because at the time TBAP was a more mature program for production work. But it looks like Anime Studio has continued to grow up too and it's certainly remained a lot cheaper than TBAP. Sorry, I know that's not exactly helpful since I haven't used it in a long time but I just wanted to note the similarity and the huge price difference between the products.

I'm not sure how the latest version of Anime Studio stacks up to TBAP (which I have to say has its own quirks but it does work well--I just need to make time to actually put it into production.) After watching the promotional video for Anime Studio, I can at least say it's come a long, long way since its early days as Moho, and its low price of the offer probably makes it worth the impulse buy.

There is a 30-day free trial you can download btw.

I'm curious to hear what current users of Anime Studio think about the program so please post. :)

G.

Greenlaw
04-24-2013, 02:43 AM
Mike, can Anime Studio's lip sync system output data that's compatible with your Papagayo to Lightwave script? Is there any advantage to doing this?

I'm curious about this because I'm looking for an alternative to Magpie Pro. I had the perfect workflow using Magpie Pro and it got me through the production of 'Happy Box', but unfortunately the program was also unbelievably crashy at the time and it has not been updated since. Currently, I'm experimenting with TBAP and CrazyTalk Pro 7--I'm getting very interesting results but obviously there's no output option for LightWave's Morphmixer with these tools, like your LightWave script for Papagayo.

Thanks in advance for any info.

G.

nickdigital
04-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

Ryan Roye
04-24-2013, 08:41 AM
I need to try out a new 2d animation program sometime... flash has always felt on the slow side to me when it comes to achieving animation. Perhaps a program more specialized in animation rather than trying to double over as a web programming thing would equate to increased production for motion graphics? *shrug*

Spinland
04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Thanks! Definitely in the impulse buy realm at that price; nabbed.

jasonwestmas
04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Does ASP have nice color adjustment tools?

How does it handle bitmaps, can those be deformed?

nickdigital
04-24-2013, 10:38 AM
I need to try out a new 2d animation program sometime... flash has always felt on the slow side to me when it comes to achieving animation. Perhaps a program more specialized in animation rather than trying to double over as a web programming thing would equate to increased production for motion graphics? *shrug*

I too have been looking for a cost effective alternative to Flash for digital animation. I'm less interested in the web stuff. I found these.

PAP
http://plasticanimationpaper.dk/

Pencil
http://www.pencil-animation.org/

Synfig Studio
http://www.synfig.org/cms/

Synfig looks to be the only one that's had recent activity.

Greenlaw
04-24-2013, 11:04 AM
How does it handle bitmaps, can those be deformed?

The bones system will deform bitmaps, if that's what you mean. I recall it had splines you can animate too (like for morphable mouth shapes) but I'm not sure they can be used to warp or deform images. The program is really a 3D program with 'cards' placed and animated in a multiplane like environment. Even the camera can be animated in 3D space.

I don't know about the other stuff--as mentioned, it's been a while since I last used it.

G.

Titus
04-24-2013, 11:08 AM
How does this compare to Flash or Toon Boom? I've used Flash and while there are some great things about it, it's far from being a perfect animation tool. It's also a dead piece of software.

The price is certainly attractive. Is this a time sensitive offer?

Toon Boom is an amazing software. Of course you can animate with all of these, but working with Toon Boom is a joy (and expensive). Anime Studio works great but it's a "lite" program. I'll refrain to compare them to 3d programs.

jasonwestmas
04-24-2013, 11:09 AM
synfig appears to have some nice shading options than most vector options.

jasonwestmas
04-24-2013, 11:14 AM
The bones system will deform bitmaps, if that's what you mean. I recall it had splines you can animate too (like for morphable mouth shapes) but I'm not sure they can be used to warp or deform images. The program is really a 3D program with 'cards' placed and animated in a multiplane like environment. Even the camera can be animated in 3D space.

I don't know about the other stuff--as mentioned, it's been a while since I last used it.

G.

Yep that's what I was curious about, deforming a bitmap with the smart bones stuff. yeah I doubt the splines could be used to deform the bitmaps in which case we might as well just use a traditional 3D app. and deform poly plane cutouts with textures applied to them. Although the deformation aspect might be a little more tedious with flat geometry in lightwave for example.

nickdigital
04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
If you have After Effects you can use duik along with puppet pins. They're not bones though so you can pull the pins around freely.
http://duduf.net/?page_id=151

The deformation tools in AE aren't as robust as the ones I've seen in ToonBoom.

sami
04-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Although I love After Effects, I've not found it great for vector/cel animation, and with Flash Pro CS5 awhile ago I animated a 4 minute cartoon and (despite being very proficient w Flash & Actionscript3) I swore to myself I would never try cartoon animation in Flash again. It was such a painful experience with nested movie clips and no comprehensive integrated timeline - not to mention limited effects and no motion blur and sound sync was anemic.

So I had been thinking of ToonBoom's offerings but they had so many products it was hard to tell which they were deprecating and which were moving forward and as I recall there were some features in Animate I wanted and some features which were only in their older app and because of the price I just shelved it for awhile.

But I did consider Anime Studio Pro, but was afraid it was a toy and it looked kind of clunky, but hearing you guys talk so well of it, and for this price it is certainly worth a try! I'll also have a look at the links you posted nickdigital - thanks for those.

Does ASP have good shape-tweening/morphing as well as bones? And what about features like multiple heads/mouth sets as one object? And does it do blur - if so how well? And how are its effects? Thanks for elaborating...

sami
04-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Just watched the video tour of it here: http://anime.smithmicro.com/anime-pro.html
And this version seems to have more features than I remember, though, I do remember why I thought it was a toy, all of the examples in the videos I've seen are hideously amateur. I suppose that's garbage in -> garbage out, but does anyone have any examples of really nice animation and art with Anime Studio Pro?

Greenlaw
04-24-2013, 12:21 PM
My daughter and I were playing around with Reallusion's CrazyTalk 7 Pro (http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/crazytalk.aspx) recently. Here's the test we made last December.

http://youtu.be/vWorof6tjWU

I'd say we're having a little trouble crossing that valley, yes? ;)

At the time we got CrazyTalk 7, we also picked up their 2D animation system CrazyTalk Animator (http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/animator/), which is similar in concept to Anime Studio (FK/IK bones, auto lip sync, vector based drawing/painting, etc.) I was going to use it to teach my daughter how to animate cartoons but haven't made time for it yet. Hopefully we can get to it soon.

G.

Rayek
04-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Some answers to questions:

- yes, image warping is supported. Bones based.
- bitmap textures with alpha can be applied on top of vector objects for a texture effect
- you can now also animate on twos, threes, fours, etc.
- there is a script to load a sequence of images. Works well, plays back in realtime. But AS is not really meant to do this type of animation.
- motion blur is supported, and can be controlled in an animation channel
- resolution can be upped to 4k and over (9000x9000 is the upper limit)
- full 64bit version and 32bit version
- stereo rendering (red/blue anaglyph, side by side, cross-eyed)
- blending of several morph targets is also possible
- there is an action library (pose library)
- you get a license for both mac and windows
- scripting your own functionality is supported through LUA
- 3d textured objects are also supported, but the lighting must be baked into the texture
- group and layer masking
- multiple objects/states can be animated in switch layers.

AS is also multi-screen friendly. The timeline can be setup on a second or third screen.

The one thing I miss is a true x-sheet view.

Papagayo can also be used for lip-synch (which is a free download) http://www.lostmarble.com/papagayo/

Greenlaw
04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Toon Boom is an amazing software. Of course you can animate with all of these, but working with Toon Boom is a joy (and expensive). Anime Studio works great but it's a "lite" program. I'll refrain to compare them to 3d programs.
Oh, certainly! And as you noted, it's priced accordingly.

I probably should have made that point clearer but for a dabbler or an artist on a budget, ASP is probably a great substitute and a bargain.

This morning I took a look at the official Gallery for Anime Studio. Wow! Some nice work. I'd say the program has come a long ways since I last played with it. :)

G.

souzou
04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Just watched the video tour of it here: http://anime.smithmicro.com/anime-pro.html
And this version seems to have more features than I remember, though, I do remember why I thought it was a toy, all of the examples in the videos I've seen are hideously amateur. I suppose that's garbage in -> garbage out, but does anyone have any examples of really nice animation and art with Anime Studio Pro?

Freakish Kid have done some cool stuff with Anime Studio - I know the Nickelodeon 30sec of Fame spots were done with it (not sure what else):
http://vimeo.com/freakishkid/videos/page:2/sort:date

Greenlaw
04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
...does anyone have any examples of really nice animation and art with Anime Studio Pro?

I thought some of the stuff on this page was great!

http://anime.smithmicro.com/videos/fortknox.html

G.

Titus
04-24-2013, 04:48 PM
This is part of a web series we're doing with toonboom. It has not color but you can get the idea. Of course we“ve tried with almost everything from open source tools like synfig and pencil. We got better results with Toon Boom.

nickdigital
04-24-2013, 05:58 PM
This is part of a web series we're doing with toonboom. It has not color but you can get the idea. Of course we“ve tried with almost everything from open source tools like synfig and pencil. We got better results with Toon Boom.

That looks great.

What was wrong with synfig and pencil?

Greenlaw
04-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Titus, that looks great! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

G.

Greenlaw
04-24-2013, 06:55 PM
I've also have a license of TVPaint, which was formerly sold here in the states by NewTek as Aura. It's good for hand drawn animations that look like natural media. It's a bitmap based system though, not vector, so you give up the non-destructive nature of programs like Anime Studio, Toon Boom Animate and CrazyTalk Animate. But for traditional hand drawn animation, it's nice to work with.

Sigh...I can't wait to be done with my cg films...I really want to go back to hand drawing for a while. Maybe I'll draw a comic strip tonight. :p

G.

Titus
04-24-2013, 07:23 PM
That looks great.

What was wrong with synfig and pencil?

I think both are OK. Pencil is pretty basic (and very easy to learn), frame by frame animation. No interpolation or bones, just draw and move to the next frame. If you like to animate on paper, this is very similar. Synfig has a convoluted interface, ala Blender. And it seems it's not used by pros, so it's hard to find people to hire. We're still in an early stage as a 2D animation studio (3D being our principal style obviously) and I think we need to use a tool most animators already know.

Toon Boom has amazing features. Just as an example: It "learns" how you draw, and applies your drawing style to the lines.

nickdigital
04-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for that info.

Rayek
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Also, Toonboom has an excellent and easy to use x-sheet, and a nodal setup. There are some very quirky things, though: for example, no real graph editor. And the GUI is a bit old-fashioned and neurotic - at least, my take on it.

erikals
04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
looks neat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JujCP2aTPw0

Greenlaw
04-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Also, Toonboom has an excellent and easy to use x-sheet, and a nodal setup. There are some very quirky things, though: for example, no real graph editor. And the GUI is a bit old-fashioned and neurotic - at least, my take on it.
Yes. I've only had a chance to use it a little so far but that's been my take. Looking forward to spending more time with it though.

FWIW, I do use Toon Boom Storyboard Pro more frequently, which also has some quirks but the advantages--very flexible shot/scene management, a library system for reusable elements, flexible layout/print options--keep me coming back. I wish the timeline/animatic output in Storyboard Pro was better though--using audio in Storyboard Pro is a more difficult than it should be.

G.

Greenlaw
04-25-2013, 06:24 AM
looks neat...

That's sweet. I want that in LightWave.

G.

sami
04-25-2013, 07:24 AM
I went ahead and picked it up at this low price, but boy is their 30day trial thing is quite the scam. It is the only 30day trial that I've ever seen that requires you to enter ccard details to run, and then it automatically charges you in 30days the full $200. That is pretty lame. They are just trying to pad their pockets with people who sign up and forget or get too busy to cancel within the timeframe. Not that it matters to me since I just got it at the discount price on amazon, but it is a pretty sleazy thing to do as a software company...

Hope the software is better than their sales people.

Titus
04-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Their sales people aren't really bad. They have a network of potential clients for your company and put you in contact with them. This is the only software company I know that does this.

sami
04-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Their sales people aren't really bad. They have a network of potential clients for your company and put you in contact with them. This is the only software company I know that does this.

No offense to their sales people. I've actually had no experience with them save buying Poser Pro. I was mostly just referring to whoever came up with the credit-card locked trial idea...

Greenlaw
04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
That practice does sound sketchy.

But FWIW, I've purchased multiple products from Smith-Micro over many years (Manga Studio Ex, Anime Studio, Poser Pro, plus several upgrades,) and have not had any bad experiences.

G.

geo_n
04-25-2013, 11:42 AM
I want to buy this for mobile graphic animation. Only at amazon.com?

Titus
04-25-2013, 04:16 PM
No offense to their sales people. I've actually had no experience with them save buying Poser Pro. I was mostly just referring to whoever came up with the credit-card locked trial idea...

Yeah, that part was fishy. Pixar did the same years ago with RenderMan.

Greenlaw
04-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I was browsing through Smith-Micro's website and I noticed that Manga Studio EX 5 is coming this summer. I'm actually more excited about that! Okay, back to drawing my comic now. :)

Dodgy
04-25-2013, 06:54 PM
I went ahead and picked it up at this low price, but boy is their 30day trial thing is quite the scam

Is this for Anime Studio? Seems a bit odd when you can just buy the whole thing for 67 dollars...

Megalodon2.0
04-25-2013, 07:51 PM
I want to buy this for mobile graphic animation. Only at amazon.com?
You can buy it direct from Smith-Micro at $70 till the end of the month.

http://mysmithmicro.com/marcom/eblasts/animestudio9/20130412/index-web.html

Though that is AFAIK download only.

sami
04-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Is this for Anime Studio? Seems a bit odd when you can just buy the whole thing for 67 dollars...

Yep. I agree. I ended up getting it outright at the amazon link, but before I did I was about to install the trial first just to have a play, but since it needed a credit card, I thought I might as well just buy it on sale. This is the link to that $200 30-day thing at their site:
http://anime.smithmicro.com/trial-offer.html

geo_n
04-26-2013, 07:36 AM
You can buy it direct from Smith-Micro at $70 till the end of the month.

http://mysmithmicro.com/marcom/eblasts/animestudio9/20130412/index-web.html

Though that is AFAIK download only.

THanks! I'm watching the video tutorials and they're very well done.
There's some paid tutorials I saw wonder if they're worth it.

Greenlaw
04-26-2013, 11:08 AM
This is the link to that $200 30-day thing at their site:
http://anime.smithmicro.com/trial-offer.html

But if you read below that statement, you see that they also offer a limited version for download that does not require a credit card. This trial version allows saving but not importing elements or exporting animation. In other words, you can work with it to try out the features and save your work, and when you upgrade to the full paid version, when you're ready to buy, you can render out your work.

The CC download apparently has all features enabled, including animation export, free for 30-days. I guess this is for people who are 99% ready to buy and want start using it already. :)

Besides this, the ad seems to be very upfront about the CC rules--hardly a scam in my opinion. It's an unusual offer and probably not ideal, but I think they're being flexible with customers here.

G.

Davewriter
04-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Went to my local big box store that had "we match internet prices" and found that they did. Got a couple of sour looks and there were good hearted jokes made on both sides over them paying me to take it off their hands... but walked out with the boxed version in hand.

sami
04-27-2013, 02:33 AM
But if you read below that statement, you see that they also offer a limited version for download that does not require a credit card. This trial version allows saving but not importing elements or exporting animation. In other words, you can work with it to try out the features and save your work, and when you upgrade to the full paid version, when you're ready to buy, you can render out your work.

The CC download apparently has all features enabled, including animation export, free for 30-days. I guess this is for people who are 99% ready to buy and want start using it already. :)

Besides this, the ad seems to be very upfront about the CC rules--hardly a scam in my opinion. It's an unusual offer and probably not ideal, but I think they're being flexible with customers here.

G.

I'm not being literal about it being a scam. It's just somewhat annoying, and "scam-esque". ;-) There is a percentage of people who will get busy, miss the date and get charged anyway, that is on purpose, it doesn't stop piracy, the entire prupose of the ccard thing is revenue gathering from people who may not necessarily be using the software - I see no other legitimate purpose for it - clearly they aren't hiding it from that page, but it's not a common practice and is in the same vein as all those "in home trial" fees for the exercise machines on infomercials you see these days on tv. As I said, I was happy to take the risk at the amazon price, but I wouldn't have tried this trial at full price with this kind of thing - and it is not the money, it is the principle of it. But if you're cool with their trial terms then that's good too...

erikals
04-27-2013, 04:32 AM
Went to my local big box store that had "we match internet prices" and found that they did. Got a couple of sour looks and there were good hearted jokes made on both sides over them paying me to take it off their hands... but walked out with the boxed version in hand.

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

HarverdGrad
04-27-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm not being literal about it being a scam. It's just somewhat annoying, and "scam-esque". ;-) There is a percentage of people who will get busy, miss the date and get charged anyway, that is on purpose, it doesn't stop piracy, the entire prupose of the ccard thing is revenue gathering from people who may not necessarily be using the software - I see no other legitimate purpose for it - clearly they aren't hiding it from that page, but it's not a common practice and is in the same vein as all those "in home trial" fees for the exercise machines on infomercials you see these days on tv. As I said, I was happy to take the risk at the amazon price, but I wouldn't have tried this trial at full price with this kind of thing - and it is not the money, it is the principle of it. But if you're cool with their trial terms then that's good too...

It might be that this is a fully functioning Demo, and by collecting CC numbers- it makes it harder to prevent people from just downloading a new demo every 30 days. I can see how it's annoying- maybe the communication message just needs to be reworded a bit.

Greenlaw
04-27-2013, 08:06 AM
It might be that this is a fully functioning Demo, and by collecting CC numbers- it makes it harder to prevent people from just downloading a new demo every 30 days. I can see how it's annoying- maybe the communication message just needs to be reworded a bit.

Yes, that's exactly the difference--at least, according to the page. The non-CC trial is limited in that you can save your work but you can't export animation; the trial with CC has no such restrictions. But even with the non-CC trial version, if you eventually buy the software, you can still use your 'trial' work files and export your animation.

So, if you prefer not to give them your CC, you can still download and try out the software--you just can't immediately use the output in a production with that version.

G.

Boobyman
04-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Anime Studio is a GREAT program! It's getting more sophisticated with each update. You can create traditional 2d fluid animation as well as the cut out type. It has a physics system where items interact with each other. Also, you can do some 3D in it too. Work well with Photoshop. AS also has a morph system and smart bones that makes animating fluid cartoons much easier. Almost feel like your ripping them off for the price of the program.

sami
04-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Well it's good to know it's getting such rave reviews here. I'm looking forward to digging into it.

Megalodon2.0
04-27-2013, 10:32 AM
THanks! I'm watching the video tutorials and they're very well done.
There's some paid tutorials I saw wonder if they're worth it.

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone said that the paid tutorials are identical to the ones free on either Youtube or the Smith-Micro site.

So I guess if you are able download the free ones, it's better than paying for them. ;)

geo_n
04-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Would love to see advance tutorials paid or free. This guys work is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPdwLNWmbGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5gmB_R4xIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCy9t1_0SXc
http://vimeo.com/28264409

Looks like Anime studio combines well with 3d and AE work.

digitaldoc
04-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Would love to see advance tutorials paid or free. This guys work is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPdwLNWmbGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5gmB_R4xIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCy9t1_0SXc
http://vimeo.com/28264409

Looks like Anime studio combines well with 3d and AE work.

Cool.
Bought it today on Amazon!

Dodgy
04-28-2013, 08:23 PM
That is some very nice work there!

Greenlaw
04-28-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm curious about this because I'm looking for an alternative to Magpie Pro. I had the perfect workflow using Magpie Pro and it got me through the production of 'Happy Box', but unfortunately the program was also unbelievably crashy at the time and it has not been updated since.
Not Anime Studio related but quick update for the above statement--looks like there may possibly have been one update after we did 'Happy Box'. Maybe. I can't remember if we tried this version and regressed to an earlier release or if this version really is a later update, but I just installed 2.2.5, have been running it for about 10 minutes and so far it seems stable. During 'Happy Box', we could not get to run for longer than 5 minutes without crashing, often sooner. Otherwise, the workflow was quite elegant so I think I'll give it another shot.

Now, to keep this post on topic:

Regarding the Taza Triste animation, wow! That work is BEAUTIFUL! I especially love the 'Yellow Submarine'/Pushpin style piece. I have to say, I'm amazed that this could be done using Anime Studio. Thanks for sharing those links.

G.

sami
05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Greenlaw (or any Anime Studio user),

I just got it and am having a play. Does the app have a way to set vector anti-aliasing on in the viewport? I'm getting jaggies in their tutorial content. (which I assume won't be there when you output - but it would be nice if my GPU can handle it to have it anti-aliased as I work)....? thanks

Rayek
05-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Greenlaw (or any Anime Studio user),

I just got it and am having a play. Does the app have a way to set vector anti-aliasing on in the viewport? I'm getting jaggies in their tutorial content. (which I assume won't be there when you output - but it would be nice if my GPU can handle it to have it anti-aliased as I work)....? thanks

Yes: right bottom of the window "Display Quality" - turn on Antialiasing.

Dodgy
05-08-2013, 07:50 PM
It does make the lines thicker than they would ordinarily be in a rendered image, so be aware of that.

Rayek
05-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Some animation done in Anime Studio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc4QPGuLZtA

Nice article: (Spanish)
http://www.animadoresporunacausa.blogspot.ca/2013/04/feliz-dia-de-la-tierra-tarjeta-animada.html

sami
05-09-2013, 02:35 AM
Yes: right bottom of the window "Display Quality" - turn on Antialiasing.
Thanks!

It does make the lines thicker than they would ordinarily be in a rendered image, so be aware of that.
Good to know, I'll keep that in mind as I work..

sami
05-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Wow. The more I play with Anime Studio, the more I like it. It does feel a little more hobbyist-ish than pro-ish, but this video shows off the control rig stuff you can do, which looks powerful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIizjus-zC0

Rayek
05-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Wow. The more I play with Anime Studio, the more I like it. It does feel a little more hobbyist-ish than pro-ish, but this video shows off the control rig stuff you can do, which looks powerful:

I have a feeling that has more to do with the non-standard OpenGL based interface and the addition of some hobbyist features than the actual functionality.

Boobyman
05-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Those cartoons look like any on Cartoon Network.

This guy's pretty cool to with his Wonder Woman rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqLWPHMcB5s

sami
05-10-2013, 03:30 AM
The app does seem pretty powerful, and if it wasn't for the sale and everyone here raving about it I probably would have went with ToonBoom. What turned me off before (and still a bit now) is much of the examples I've seen suck aesthetically and people's character design (including the stuff on smith micro's site) seem really amateurish. I have seen a few great examples, and the Aeon Flux looking characters are nice, but alot of the other examples seem really poor. Bad animation (no anticipation or follow through) and badly drawn Flash style animations from the albinoblacksheep Internet days.

I still really would like to see some more truly impressive examples done with Anime Studio...

Dodgy
05-10-2013, 03:31 AM
Look for Greykid pictures on youtube, they use it and their examples are awesome. Disney quality.

djwaterman
05-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Seems to be back at the full price. Damn, always last one to the party.

sami
05-10-2013, 05:06 AM
Seems to be back at the full price. Damn, always last one to the party.

Nope it's still on sale. Check this Amazon link. It's even $2 cheaper than when I bought it and free shipping if you have Prime:
http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software-Inc-ASP90HBX2/dp/B008MR2HWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366780567&sr=8-1&keywords=anime+studio+pro+9

They send you a boxed copy with Windows and Mac discs in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Look for Greykid pictures on youtube, they use it and their examples are awesome. Disney quality.

Thanks. Not sure how much Anime Studio they use but some clips like that French-Egyptian clip was very Disney-ish and beautiful.

djwaterman
05-10-2013, 07:32 AM
But only ships to those in the US unfortunately from what I can tell. Edit- I may be wrong about that.

Greenlaw
05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
The app does seem pretty powerful, and if it wasn't for the sale and everyone here raving about it I probably would have went with ToonBoom. What turned me off before (and still a bit now) is much of the examples I've seen suck aesthetically and people's character design (including the stuff on smith micro's site) seem really amateurish...I still really would like to see some more truly impressive examples done with Anime Studio...

This is just my opinion but complaining about the work of other artists isn't exactly productive or very helpful. Perhaps you could create some examples of your own to inspire? Just a thought. :)

G.

sami
05-10-2013, 09:13 AM
This is just my opinion but complaining about the work of other artists isn't exactly productive or very helpful. Perhaps you could create some examples of your own to inspire? Just a thought. :)

G.
Certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't imagine anyone here did any of the work I thinking about, and hadn't even mentioned anything specific so hopefully no one should take offense. In fact I complimented other artists work in the same breath.

I think there's nothing wrong with being aesthetically critical about some *featured content* that the software company themselves showcases. I agree that creating my own examples is a good idea, but seeing as how I just got the software (somewhat on your recommendation btw ;) ) it's not a really big deal to want to see nice examples from those who've pushed the app really far with beautiful stuff.

And to clarify, AFAIK I've never seen any of your Anime Studio work so wasn't referring to that of course; though I did enjoy your brudders short. :)

Greenlaw
05-10-2013, 11:00 AM
And to clarify, AFAIK I've never seen any of your Anime Studio work so wasn't referring to that of course; though I did enjoy your brudders short. :)
Oh, I wasn't taking offense personally, and as mentioned earlier I haven't used Anime Studio for production work myself. The post just triggered a reaction from me because I read so many criticisms and complaints about the work of other artists and it gets quite tiresome.

Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out specifically and that was unfair--in fact, I recognize that your comments were very generalized and that you didn't target a specific work or artist. Please accept my apologies.

It's just that I've been seeing an attitude coming from some users (to be clear, it's not you) in many forums that often serves no purpose other than to undermine the hard work of others. It's a real downer to users who are genuinely excited about something and actively sharing useful tips, work and overall enthusiasm.

In fact, the LightWave forums really aren't that bad with this sort of thing, so apologies all around from me.

Time for coffee. :)

G.

sami
05-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh, I wasn't taking offense personally, and as mentioned earlier I haven't used Anime Studio for production work myself. The post just triggered a reaction from me because I read so much criticism and complaints about the work other artists in these forums and elsewhere, and it gets quite tiresome.

Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out specifically and that was unfair--in fact, I recognize that your comments were very generalized and that you didn't target a specific work or artist. Please accept my apologies.

It's just that I've been seeing an attitude coming from some users (to be clear, it's not you) in many forums that often serves no purpose other than to undermine the hard work of others. It's a real downer to users who are genuinely excited about something and actively sharing useful tips, work and overall enthusiasm.

In fact, the LightWave forums really aren't that bad with this sort of thing, so apologies all around from me.

Time for coffee. :)

G.

No worries, & no apology necessary - I do try to be helpful here with scripts & tips and what not. Plus I know what it's like to need some morning coffee too :)

erikals
05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
bah, nothing beats a cold coca-cola http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/pixture/grocery/32/Coke-icon.png (mixed with rum)

Boobyman
05-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I love Aeon Flux! Where is the Aeon Flux example?

Also i think alot of the examples are roughs and quick samples. It takes alot of time to animate. But maybe it's just taste. You can use the onionskin option and move each point to get that Disney fluid look.

Also, the guys work i posted is far from a amature.

Dodgy
05-11-2013, 06:47 AM
With the new smart bones feature you can drive point animation with bone rotation which gives you a much nicer way to do fluid turns.

selgin
05-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Hi, I was checking my blog statistics and it took me here. I'm selgin from the lostmarble.com (the AS forum) and also the user "tazatriste" from youtube.

Some days ago -and inspired in Vern's "Anime studio animation demo reel" (posted some pages above)- I made my own rigging reel.
My idea was to show how simple and powerful an ASpro rig can be.
Maybe it can be contribution for this thread:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohAVI5rvRRo

Best regards.

sami
05-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi, I was checking my blog statistics and it took me here. I'm selgin from the lostmarble.com (the AS forum) and also the user "tazatriste" from youtube.

Some days ago -and inspired in Vern's "Anime studio animation demo reel" (posted some pages above)- I made my own rigging reel.
My idea was to show how simple and powerful an ASpro rig can be.
Maybe it can be contribution for this

Best regards.

selgin, around 1:49 in your video you have an upright humanish dog animating with "blur" vectors on some of the limbs. Is it possible to get things like that or blur trails (like the old Warner brothers road runner coyote stuff for fast motions) to appear automatically in a rig when the bones are moved/keyframed fast? Or was that just a a faked effect? Thanks, your video was helpful to see rigging possibilities - especially for warped photos and for fake 3d on rotations. :)

calilifestyle
05-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Selgin wow best demo of Anime studio.

selgin
05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
selgin, around 1:49 in your video you have an upright humanish dog animating with "blur" vectors on some of the limbs. Is it possible to get things like that or blur trails (like the old Warner brothers road runner coyote stuff for fast motions) to appear automatically in a rig when the bones are moved/keyframed fast? Or was that just a a faked effect? Thanks, your video was helpful to see rigging possibilities - especially for warped photos and for fake 3d on rotations. :)

It's possible, but It's a "faked effect". What I like the most about Anime Studio is you have a huge freedom to create fakes. There are no specific tool for "fake multiples" or "fake 3d rotation", but with the few available tools you have the possibility to make a lot of unthought stuff. For example, Smart bones where create basically to fix bad joints, but it opened a whole world, included bone levers, head turns and that dog :)

I have a video which shows how the dog works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y9BGuRswg4

Greenlaw
05-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi Selgin,

Welcome! As mentioned before, beautiful work. Your reel almost makes me wonder why I'm still messing around with 3D. :p

G.

Greenlaw
05-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Darn you Selgin! You made me go for the offer! :p

BTW, I checked what it would cost to upgrade my old Anime Studio Pro 6 license and it turns out that buying the software brand new through the special offer (http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software-Inc-ASP90HBX2/dp/B008MR2HWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366780567&sr=8-1&keywords=anime+studio+pro+9) is actually a lot cheaper than upgrading. Too cheap to resist I guess.

G.

Spinland
05-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah, it was too tempting. I've done a decent amount of Flash animation in the past but that's about all my 2D experience. For that price it seemed worth grabbing against the day I have time to learn some new skills. For now it's still in the shrink wrap, I've got too many other learning curves to climb right now. :)

Greenlaw
05-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Me too. Right now I'm way busy finishing 'B2' and can't afford to be distracted by learning another program. But when we're done... :)

G.

Rayek
05-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Yep, same here - I am about to finish a mobile game I am working on, and then I will delve into Anime Studio's rigging. Some much to do and learn, so little time :-)

geo_n
05-17-2013, 09:15 PM
THat's an amazing reel. Really complex rigs possible.

Dodgy
05-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Nice to see you here Selgin :) I've been pushing As over here for a while, it's good to have your company!

Boobyman
05-22-2013, 08:08 PM
That was beautiful! I slapped my aunt after seeing this. She slapped me back. HARD! I want be doing that again. AWESOME WORK!

allabulle
05-22-2013, 09:06 PM
That was fantastic!

djwaterman
05-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Welcome! As mentioned before, beautiful work. Your reel almost makes me wonder why I'm still messing around with 3D. :p

G.

So true.

djwaterman
05-24-2013, 02:21 AM
And I purchased it last night. Looking forward to exploring some 2D.

Pesto
05-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Interesting thread. In looking at the Toon Boom line I think that Toon Boom Studio (TBS) is more comparable to AS Pro9. Has anyone used TB Studio? I have been trying out both demos and AS Pro 9.2 seems to be a little quirky for me. Maybe it's me or it doesn't like my Macbook Pro. Anyone have any experience with TBS?

Also, I would love to not have to use a separate vector drawing app to make more stylized characters. How is ASPro as far a this?

Thanks

Rayek
05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Interesting thread. In looking at the Toon Boom line I think that Toon Boom Studio (TBS) is more comparable to AS Pro9. Has anyone used TB Studio? I have been trying out both demos and AS Pro 9.2 seems to be a little quirky for me. Maybe it's me or it doesn't like my Macbook Pro. Anyone have any experience with TBS?

Also, I would love to not have to use a separate vector drawing app to make more stylized characters. How is ASPro as far a this?

Thanks

They're quite different in approach. TB is more aimed at drawing/importing single drawings, has a great exposure sheet, excellent scanned line to vector conversion, and does some real magic with vectors (such as getting used to your style). Drawbacks are the somewhat primitive and neurotic interface, the GUI that seems to work against you at times, the absolutely horrible graph curve editor, and it can become very technical at times with the node editor. (I have experience with TB Harmony myself).

I was a bit taken aback how awkward TB seemed to do things at times. The lack of a proper graph editor is killing under circumstances.

Anime Studio Pro is not really meant for more traditional frame-by-frame animation. The bone system is excellent, morphing is great, no restrictions at all in regards to resolution output. The graph editor is good, and comparable to the ones used in 3d apps (though a bit more primitive than most). The handling is very easy in my opinion: much easier to get into than TB. Drawbacks are no x-sheet, awkward to use with frame-by-frame animation, and the vector lines are not as controllable as in TB.

Generally I do not draw directly in AS, but prefer a 'real' vector app, like Inkscape or Illustrator.

I also think you should be looking into TB Animate Pro, and not Studio - although I have not used Studio before, it looks quite limited. But I might be wrong.

Pesto
05-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for reply Rayek. I have experience with Maya doing character animation and before that with a little known program called Animation Master. The bone system in ASPro seems to be very similar to Animation Master which is good because it had a great bone system. I good graph editor is important for the polish of the animation. I will look into ASPro some more for sure. Thanks again!

Greenlaw
05-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Well, I guess this deal was too good for me to pass up...twice. I just bought a second license, this one for my wife Alisa. We're planning to use the program for future 'Brudders' projects. That is, whenever we ever get our new cg 'Brudders' film done. :p

BTW, the sale for the downloadable version of Anime Studio Pro 9 has ended on Amazon, but you can still purrchase the boxed version of for $67. The first license I ordered was downloadable, the second was the boxed copy. The boxed copy arrived somewhat crushed but that's okay--all I'm interested in is the serial number anyway.

Technically, we have three licenses now but it was actually much cheaper for us to buy two brand new licenses at the sale price than to upgrade my old license to version 9. Crazy.

G.

Rayek
06-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Just found MangaStudio EX4 for $45 online (PurPlus), plus $5 standard ups. Physical box and then I will update to v5. Which, ironically, will only be $20 more than a single new license of MangaStudio 5. And I will have a boxed version of EX4. :-)

Greenlaw
06-03-2013, 05:17 AM
That's cool! I've been using Manga Studio EX from the very first Brudders comic strip and I love it. The coolest features are, obviously, the comics specific tools like the panel editing and balloon tools, as well as the book/pages management features. Less obvious are the vector drawing tools, which (for good and bad,) are infinitely editable and totally scalable--this means you can re-purpose artwork easily. I don't do that often but when I need it, it's a huge timesaver. The library system is nice too--you can save almost anything to it, images, textures and tone screens, 3D models, balloon styles, etc. The content disk is loaded with incredibly useful materials. And speaking of 3D models, .lwo is its native format. Shocking! :)

Regarding .lwo, the 'ink shading' for 3D objects is nice. I haven't used it for Brudders or Streams (also draw in Manga Studio EX4) but I'll probably use it on a graphic novel I've been planning to draw next year.

BTW, you might want to hold off upgrading from Manga Studio EX 4 to Manga Studio 5 because Manga Studio EX 5 is coming out later this month. From what I can tell, MS 5 is basically a repackaging of EX4 with a new GUI--EX5 is the real upgrade for EX4. Check for yourself to be sure though. Personally, I've been waiting for EX5 for a long time--it's been available in Japan for ages.

If you're curious to see how Manga Studio EX4 is used for Brudders, I've created a few videos/articles about it. Here are some links:

Anatomy of a Brudders Comic - Brudders Episode 54 (http://www.littlegreendog.com/studio/sessions/002/sessions002_001.php#.Uax4RJywVgE)
Drawing Brudders Episode 51 (Video) (http://www.littlegreendog.com/studio/sessions/004/sessions004.php#.Uax4gJywVgE)
Drawing Brudders Episode 42 (Video) (http://www.littlegreendog.com/studio/sessions/001/sessions001.php#.Uax4q5ywVgE)

Enjoy! :)

G.

daforum
06-03-2013, 05:24 AM
$67 is too good an offer and I like the look of Anime Studio Pro 9, but it's £99 here in rip-off Britain!

Could it be a replacement for Adobe Flash in the future?
I ask as other animators I know use Flash a lot and will eventually need to replace their app.

P.S. Greenlaw, i love your work and have been reading Brudders a lot.
You inspired me to buy Manga Studio EX4 (but not had a chance to use it yet on any projects)
Keep up the good work :)

Greenlaw
06-03-2013, 05:34 AM
P.S. Greenlaw, i love your work and have been reading Brudders a lot.
Thank you very much! It was too long a time between the last two strips and I don't want to wait that long to draw the next one. Your words of support are encouraging me to draw it soon. :p

G.

cresshead
06-03-2013, 07:53 PM
looks neat...

smart bones look great

reminds me of corrective morphs in blender with anisculpt
http://www.daniel3d.com/pepeland/misc/3dstuff/blender/anisculpt/anisculpt.htm