PDA

View Full Version : Genoma Presets Confusion

Ma3rk
04-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I tried asking this a week or so ago and got ZERO response. Perhaps it's more of a question I should ask a Lino Grandi direclty , but I'll try again here first in a different manner.

I'm trying to find out/understand what one can & cannot edit with the Genoma Presets as the only elements one can make on their own are magenta active & passive connectors.

Where all of this is coming from is that I'm at the rigging stage of a Dungeness Crab character and pretty much have to build the rig from scratch. I was hoping to use Lino's Spider rig but there are too many segments in the legs for one thing, hence the questions.

Anyway:

In the limited LW 11.5 Addendum docs in the Genoma section it states:

Orange connectors should never be detached or removed. (Pg. 197)

Yet 10 pages later in the Darkside Cube tutorial:

Now we need to ditch two fingers so select the outer two down to their magenta connectors (09). (Pg. 207)

Obviously, orange connectors ARE being removed in this case, but the accompanying elements are being deleted as well, which makes the first statement not quite accurate or at least not telling the whole story.

Let's take an example of a character missing part of a finger then. Could I simply delete finger sections & knuckles but leaving the last Orange connector?

In other words, is the attached image of a partial hand “legal” in Genoma?

As another example, say I want to add just a single bone appendage off an existing connector (like a crab claw pincer). Would I use a fresh rig part, or could I do a copy/paste/weld from appropriate elements I've already have in the rig? If so, specifically what do I need to include in the copy?

In Modeler, Genoma elements might look the same but have different Surface or Part names. I'm assuming this is what the Create Rig script in Layout is using to perform it's magic.

In any case, perhaps we could get more accurate & detailed notes on editing Genoma preset elements. Perhaps a video on building Genoma rigs from scratch rather than just from the presets.

Thanks.

bobakabob
04-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Good questions Ma3rk, wish I knew the answers but would be very interested in responses. Maybe it would be a good idea for Lino to consider making some elements in Genoma indestructible in Modeler or at least trigger a warning if essential parts are deleted.

Ma3rk
04-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanx for at least posting a reply. You'd think there'd be a LOT more wavers using Genoma by now that someone would jump in on a seemingly simple question, but then again ....

I'll give it a few more days & see if there are more replies and if not I'll drop Lino a personal note. Suspect the development team is pretty busy these days and monitoring the forum is spotty at best. I've been waiting for a notice of the LA LW User Group having a meeting as the Dev. Team drops in there a every so often and I'd buttonhole him there, but so far no meetings yet this year. Don't know if that means that everyone is super busy or looking for work.

M.

Spinland
04-24-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't have an answer for your specific question but one thing I do when trying to figure out what's legal in Genoma is just try it and then "make rig" and see what I get. You can make just rigs with no mesh to save time, and experiment your heart out and save subsections that end up working for you as custom presets.

In your case it looks like each finger joint is a unit, with the orange connecter as a terminus, so maybe what you show is cool. Try it and let us know?

I, too, would like to see some tutorials on the topics you cite. For my part, I'm still clueless how those red connectors are supposed to work.

Ma3rk
04-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Sure, I could always do that I suppose. I was just using the preset hand as a starting point example.

Another thing I was wondering was if you could mix Genoma elements with standard Skelegon parts. Guess I'll try that tomorrow. I suspect that a bone would get created but not the other goals, etc.

M.

Spinland
04-25-2013, 06:46 AM
I think if you look at the content, there are some pretty complex Genoma rigs in there, including a dragon of sorts. From the looks of it, several "basic bone" sections are using skelegons linked in among the Genoma parts.

Ma3rk
04-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Oh ya. I missed that somehow.

Took a little while to find the skelegons you mentioned (largely 'cuz they're colored Black), but yes I see. They're parented to an Orange control and drawn out for the Upper & Lower Jaw. And, yup, they just convert to bones with the Genoma Create Rig in Layout and parented in with the other Genoma elements with controls.

Great. Maybe I can make some progress this weekend.

Thanks,

M.