PDA

View Full Version : Flat shade with visible wires and Camera type

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Shading:
I'm rendering a simple bar chart (18 rectangular bars) that animates upwards, stops and continues with a different shade. This is being placed over a blueprint looking background.

I want the shading to be flat yet have the wire frames on the forward sides visible on the front of the bars (creating a kind of blue print looking animation). I'm fine with comping multiple layers and I'm the Super Cell Shader for the bars. I'm not having any success getting the wires visible with the super cell shade mode.

If I render the wires (thickened with the options in the advanced tab) for comping over the flat shaded bars, I get the background wires as well and I need the front only.

What's the method? Can anyone set up a rectangle with the surface node editor for me to reference? I'm still not up to speed with the surface editor.

Camera:
I'm also trying to get the vertical lines of the bars vertical with the edge of the frame to add to the "BluePrint" feel (everything perfectly vertical) but the camera is giving me perspective as I point it upward at the bars. I've messed with various camera types and lenses but am not getting that perspective (looking down the line of bars) "with" vertical lines.

Any help (as always) is appreciated.
Thanks
DI

nickdigital
04-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Instead of using Super Cel Shader you could use unReal or Layout's native lines.

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks I'll try it.

DI

Instead of using Super Cel Shader you could use unReal or Layout's native lines.

nickdigital
04-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Fyi unReal is pc only.

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Is that available in LW 10? Where? I'm not familiar with it and don't see it in the shader list.

Sorry I'm such a newbie.
DI

nickdigital
04-23-2013, 10:54 AM
It is after you download and install it. :-)

http://d-creation.sakura.ne.jp/plugin_latest.htm

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 10:55 AM
NickDigital,

I was just looking at your reel and that cartoon look with the bold outline is pretty much what I'm looking for.

DI

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on a mac. :o(

DI

nickdigital
04-23-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm on a mac. :o(

D'oh, you're out of luck then. See if LW lines will do what you need.

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Where is it located?

DI

nickdigital
04-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Object properties window, there's a tab for "Edges".

celshader has a list of explanations for the settings.
http://celshader.com/gallery/kara/about4.htm

FYI, there's more control over the edges in 11.5

- - - Updated - - -

NickDigital,
I was just looking at your reel and that cartoon look with the bold outline is pretty much what I'm looking for.

If it's just the thick silhouette outlook you want you can do that in After Effects very easily.

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=nickdigital;1317809]Object properties window, there's a tab for "Edges".

celshader has a list of explanations for the settings.
http://celshader.com/gallery/kara/about4.htm

FYI, there's more control over the edges in 11.5

- - - Updated - - -

If it's just the thick silhouette outlook you want you can do that in After Effects very easily.

Yeah AE is my program. If I just wanted outer edges I'd do it there unfortunately I've established a wire frame "look" and would like that. I'll figure something out. No comment on how to get my bars perfectly verticle while still getting some measure of perspective huh? Probably have to skew them in AE as well.

Thanks for your input.
DI

nickdigital
04-23-2013, 12:27 PM
No comment on how to get my bars perfectly verticle while still getting some measure of perspective huh? Probably have to skew them in AE as well.

Do you have an example of what this looks like?

Ryan Roye
04-23-2013, 12:43 PM
One method to get the outline + solid color effect that you can do that involves matting the object, making it transparent, then applying a duplicate black solid render underneath it (to make it not see-through) in compositing. This requires raytrace transparency to be on.

The downside with Lightwave's native line renders (at least from what I am aware of) is that you can't envelope them much at if at all; they are either on or off during a render and there's no inbetween.

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Sending the camera issue shortly. Image A is the overall look of the design. Image B is what I'm shooting for (It's a comp of a flat shade and a wire shade married together in PS. I painted out the back side wires on the first few boxes to show what I'm shooting for. The remaining boxes make it evident why I can only have foreground wires.

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 01:36 PM
BTW. I have parallels with Lightwave 9.6 installed. I "may" have to just download celshader to see if that will do it. I opened my v10.1 file in 9.6 and it changed the colors of the upper bars (easily resolved) looks like upgrading to the same version on Parrallels is kind of time consuming but may be my only option at this point.

Thanks
DI

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
One method to get the outline + solid color effect that you can do that involves matting the object, making it transparent, then applying a duplicate black solid render underneath it (to make it not see-through) in compositing. This requires raytrace transparency to be on.

The downside with Lightwave's native line renders (at least from what I am aware of) is that you can't envelope them much at if at all; they are either on or off during a render and there's no inbetween.

In addition to that the geometry needs to be separated (each side of a square needs to be cut and pasted) otherwise the lines don't render. I have 18 x 2 (36 rectangles that have already been animated) and need to do two of these charts. Not my best option.

Thanks though. Always good to know my options for future work.
DI

JoePoe
04-23-2013, 01:49 PM
In order to get your vertical sides..... increase your camera's focal length. Try something like 200mm and pull the camera way back. Should do the trick. :thumbsup:

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 01:52 PM
113831113832The issue with the cameras perspective attached. C. is what I'm getting (after a quick comp) D. is more what I'm after. These are obviously thrown together and will have some form of shadow to give it a base but the edges need to match the grid or it looks off (for a drafting or blue print look).

Thanks
DI

nickdigital
04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
What about using the Orthographic camera?

JoePoe
04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
sooooo.... U got it?
Just add "sharp creases" in render lines. Take down the edge thickness a bit on the outer edges.
In the end I'd keep the silhouette edges a little thicker than the internal (the "leading" edges) edges.... echoing the grid.

digitalimagery
04-23-2013, 02:19 PM
In order to get your vertical sides..... increase your camera's focal length. Try something like 200mm and pull the camera way back. Should do the trick. :thumbsup:

Thank you,

I started messing with that but where I'd already done my animation I would have to re animate my camera moves (and didn't want to have to do that). Rats!

DI

- - - Updated - - -

Hm. I'll give that a shot first. I suspect either way I'll need to reanimate. Good thing this isn't anything too complex.

DI

JoePoe
04-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Okay, but now I'm a little confused. Your animation was complete, so you were asking how to fix the perspective in the completed sequence? That certainly sounds like an AE thing... or maybe a batch process in Pshop.
Maybe I missed the point....

JoePoe
04-23-2013, 03:20 PM
so, I might have told you to go a little overboard on focal length. (if your still interested in that direction)
Did a quick one at 100mm. Still pretty vertical :)

JoePoe
04-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Kismet? (or just that this was fresh in my head)
Just came across this script in the database....

http://stephenculley.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/lscript-genericblueprint.html

Ztreem
04-25-2013, 01:00 AM
113831113832The issue with the cameras perspective attached. C. is what I'm getting (after a quick comp) D. is more what I'm after. These are obviously thrown together and will have some form of shadow to give it a base but the edges need to match the grid or it looks off (for a drafting or blue print look).

Thanks
DI

You need to use the shift lens camera to get parallel lines