PDA

View Full Version : Gradient/texture question

jimmahbee
04-19-2013, 12:04 AM
I was wondering...when I make a terrain like a mountain range with lots of peaks n valleys and I want to have a texture like Turbulence cover the whole thing but at the base I want it to be like a green and as it gets higher I want it to fade to a brown say...how would I go about that? I tried using a gradient but it didn't work...

nickdigital
04-19-2013, 12:21 AM
See if this tutorial helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me-qtlpM8no&feature=youtube_gdata_player

prometheus
04-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Thatīs the y-distance to gradient, or pivot point, and only works with gradients, not procedurals.
you should probably use the node editor and try do it from there, and maybe use weightmaps ..so you can airbrush your areas or something like that, I havenīt got any good explanation for that now though.
Boy how nice it would be to simply paint weight maps...In layout and connect respective texture, or procedural layer to those instantly...workflow baby.

One thing you can do..that is to use two procedural layers and set one of them to a y-falloff of aprox 30m + value, on the other you can set a y falloff of -30 but that requires to tweak the textures
y position too.

I will post a sample scene to check out.
I just noticed that for the color channel, the y-gradient donīt show up in vpr or render..in openGL it looks as you would expect..Weird, maybe a bug.

prometheus
04-19-2013, 12:50 PM
hereīs a sample setup, forget about the y-gradient to object in the color channel, looks like itīs some sort of bug and not working in renderer.

I have set the procedurals with some falloffs so check that tab, and also the position for one of the procedurals with a + value in combination with a negative y falloff

Michael

jimmahbee
04-19-2013, 03:27 PM
thanx for you quick response...I'll download the tut and see..there must be a way to control the position of color on an object such as a MTN range...here's an attempt I made using ur advise

speismonqui
04-19-2013, 05:01 PM
this tutorial is great, a bit old but very useful
http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=39&p2_articleid=105

prometheus
04-19-2013, 06:26 PM
seems that the gradients are buggy, or I have completly lost it, cant get distance to pivot point to work.

you could just add a null ref and set the color layer to y-object distance and select the null, you can control the level of the color by either the gradient or actually move the null.

Damn..I thought Ive done this before with ease...strange.
solving it with weight map might be a way.

Edit...the distance to pivot point works ..you have to have a color layer beneath it, but this gives only a radial falloff, and not just the y falloof you would want.

But this really brings up a question about altitude layers ivé been missing for some time, no problems to do this in vue with such layer function..

Michael

prometheus
04-19-2013, 06:35 PM
I should mention you could also copy the displacement map in to the color functions, probably the easiest to do, but then you cant change the displacement on the fly and still have the correct color matching.

Michael

prometheus
04-19-2013, 07:29 PM
heres a couple of image samples, I might pack them to scene, but not today.

the first image is just the displacement procedural layer copied and pasted in to the surface color layer, then pasted a second time but inverted layer, and changed color on them.

the second image has a flow noise procedural and what I did here is to set a falloff with a small + value on y axis...check settings in the screen print....most important here that you check world
coordinates..otherwise it wonīt work.

The third image I added another procedural layer to add variations on the high plain, here I set the falloff to -5 also world coordinates, but...hereīs the trick, you have to set the position at a + value, in this case
20 meter...the whole terrain here is 1km.

As mentioned, you canīt go in and change the displacement layer, that would not let the texture follow it, I wish we had a full nodal approach here to simply
control displacement layers together in node editor and also connect them to the color layers, but for some strange reason Lightwave nodals arenīt set up that way:)

Michael

jimmahbee
04-19-2013, 11:45 PM
this tutorial is great, a bit old but very useful
http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=39&p2_articleid=105

Yes I went through this one but it didn't really work for me...sometimes they do sometimes they dont....question...I'm a big fan of MYST (Riven Exile and Revelation...) what computer programs do you think they used to create their landscapes...? they're perfect

dwburman
04-20-2013, 09:42 AM
As mentioned, you canīt go in and change the displacement layer, that would not let the texture follow it, I wish we had a full nodal approach here to simply
control displacement layers together in node editor and also connect them to the color layers, but for some strange reason Lightwave nodals arenīt set up that way:)

Michael

We do have that. You just need to plug something into the Displacement input in the node editor and turn on "Enable Bump" in the object properties and set an amount to displace. :D

jimmahbee
04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
We do have that. You just need to plug something into the Displacement input in the node editor and turn on "Enable Bump" in the object properties and set an amount to displace. :D

How would I go about saving this as a preset?

jimmahbee
04-20-2013, 12:29 PM
sorry never mind...I found the "save" button in the surfaces

jimmahbee
04-20-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm trying to make something like this where as you get to the slope of the Mtn the color falls off and you see mostly rock

- - - Updated - - -

prometheus
04-21-2013, 04:35 AM

Yes..I forgot about that, you should have to enable bump and set a value though ..for a better workflow that is.

I recall using that...but at that time it felt slower that regular displacements, directly in the deform tab..but I am unsure of that.
Thanks for the reminder though.

Michael