PDA

View Full Version : Labor and pricing estimate

@NiM8R
04-18-2013, 11:20 PM
I have been asked to create 2 humanoid cartoon style characters similar to the level of detail shown in the pic I uploaded. If anyone cares to offer their input, I'd be interested in knowing your opinion concerning labor and pricing of a job like this.

This client wants to do a series of :30 spots using the two characters each time in different situations.

Both characters are to be custom made based on my original sketches, then fully rigged. No flowing hair or clothing. How many hours/days would you estimate to complete one model, and what should the one-time charge for labor be?

Your input will be GREATLY appreciated. I must begin in a few days. Cheers!113724

nickdigital
04-18-2013, 11:31 PM
How many hours/days would you estimate to complete one model

If you're doing the work shouldn't you be answering this? If it takes an experienced person a day but it takes you two, you don't wanna say a day cuz you'll just be making your life extremely difficult.

shrox
04-18-2013, 11:34 PM
If you're doing the work shouldn't you be answering this? If it takes an experienced person a day but it takes you two, you don't wanna say a day cuz you'll just be making your life extremely difficult.

Add 25-35% extra time to your time estimate. If it takes two days a piece, say three, or for both say five.

nickdigital
04-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Be careful about doing a one time flat fee. That fee should be based on an agreement with the client based on certain conditions. For example, the flat fee could be based on them approving the model. If they give you notes after they said it was approved then you charge them for that. You don't wanna do a flat fee for something where the client feels they can give you an endless amount of notes.

ericsmith
04-19-2013, 09:37 AM
If it were me, I would plan on 3-4 days of modeling. It could be done in 2, but the extra breathing room will make it less stressful. Depending on your hourly, that would run anywhere from $1,000 - $1,500. Of course, the time you spent designing and sketching should also be added.

Rigging is a bit more complicated to figure, as there are lots of variables. For me, I could have them up and running in Maestro in less than an hour (including deformation testing and creating facial animation morphs). But if you've got to create the rig from scratch, that could potentially take days. If Genoma works and you're familiar with the toolset, that could take it back down to a couple of hours again. So if you've got an automated solution that you're comfortable with, you could just about throw in the rigging for free. If not, that could easily add another $1,000 to the job.

Eric

@NiM8R
04-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Thank you for all the input. I have built and rigged characters myself, but this time it is through my day job and I have to justify my time. I will have the client sign off on each phase of the process to avoid any "gotchas" of course. I really do appreciate hearing from all of you. There are no other animators in my city and it's good to hear other points of view.

Titus
04-19-2013, 11:34 AM
These characters look pretty basic. One or mabye two days maximum to model both, a couple of extra days for rigging.

geo_n
04-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Go with an hourly rate and calculate how many days or weeks the project will run. Add on top of that for what you think is technical enough to be worth paying for extra. That's how the freelancers we hire do their quote. Fixed price is never a good idea.

Megalodon2.0
04-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Rigging is a bit more complicated to figure, as there are lots of variables. For me, I could have them up and running in Maestro in less than an hour (including deformation testing and creating facial animation morphs).
How can you get all of the facial morphs done in less than an hour?

I would LOVE to know how to do this so quickly. I take forever, so any shortcuts would surely help. :thumbsup:

ericsmith
04-19-2013, 01:48 PM
How can you get all of the facial morphs done in less than an hour?

I would LOVE to know how to do this so quickly. I take forever, so any shortcuts would surely help.

I've got a pretty established system, so it's just a matter of recreating the same handful of morphs.

The real key to my method is creating simple morphs to move around parts of the face, and then connecting them together in such a way that makes more complex controls.

I don't know if that explains it very clearly. It would probably be easier to demonstrate visually. If you're really interested, PM me and maybe we can Skype or something.

Eric

@NiM8R
04-19-2013, 02:11 PM
I use Singiular's FaceGen to create the face mesh, then "cartoon" it up a bit without adding or deleting any points. Since all the morphs are already built for you, it's a real time saver!

shrox
04-19-2013, 02:44 PM
I've got a pretty established system, so it's just a matter of recreating the same handful of morphs.

The real key to my method is creating simple morphs to move around parts of the face, and then connecting them together in such a way that makes more complex controls.

I don't know if that explains it very clearly. It would probably be easier to demonstrate visually. If you're really interested, PM me and maybe we can Skype or something.

Eric

The settings can go beyond "100%", so you can exaggerate endomorphs as well.

Megalodon2.0
04-19-2013, 07:07 PM

Eric
I actually get it. :)

I've seen this system done before. I can easily see if you create a few basic morphs you can then create all of the facial shapes you need by combining them. Definitely saves time. For me - especially for lipsync - I find it easier to create ALL of the phoneme and gesture morphs and then plug them in to TAFA.

I use Singiular's FaceGen to create the face mesh, then "cartoon" it up a bit without adding or deleting any points. Since all the morphs are already built for you, it's a real time saver!
I've used Poser. To create my pilot episode, we used Aiko3 and Hiro3 from DAZ3D as a base and brought them in to Poser completely changing their look. Super easy to create the morphs. I ended up saving out the base pose as OBJ and then saved the morph targets as LWO. The OBJ kept the UV's in tact and the LWO's placed in the background created the endomorphs. This way I could easily bring the head into TAFA and create lipsync.

LOVE TAFA!

Sorry for the OT post.