PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Lightwave 11.5 config files

jboudreau
04-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi

I installed lightwave on my new machine and when I start modeler it creates a folder in my user directory called \.Newtek\Lightwave\11.5

The problem is it also creates a 11.0 folder in the same directory which has the following folders in it

Configs
Docs
layouts
licenses
plugins
presets
scripts
themes

Is this normal?

Update:

I just deleted all the directories in the .Newtek folder and instead of opeing modeler first I loaded Layout. Doing it this way didn't create the 11.0 folder very strange

Thanks,
Jason

Snosrap
04-18-2013, 09:19 PM
I noticed that too. You can delete that folder and as soon as you start 11.5 that folder gets created again.

jboudreau
04-18-2013, 09:31 PM
I noticed that too. You can delete that folder and as soon as you start 11.5 that folder gets created again.

Yeah it's stopping me from being able to redirect my config files, I've been trying everything and nothing works

I'm trying to create my config files in the lightwave 11.5 directory C:\Program Files\Newtek\Lightwave11.5\Configs

Nothing seems to work.

I've tried the following

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin\Modeler.exe" -c"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\Configs"

C:\Program_Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin\Modeler. exe" -cC:\Program_Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\Configs

What am I doing wrong?

jboudreau
04-18-2013, 09:38 PM
I figured it out. It has to do with me having to right click on the shortcut and choosing run as administrator then the configs get created

Snosrap
04-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Good to know. I've been having Hub issues so maybe this is related in some way.

jboudreau
04-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Hi

I'm not sure if this will fix your hub issues but I noticed if you have different versions of lightwave installed it can be really easy to have for example the hub from version 11.0 running while you are using lightwave 11.5 and vice versa this can cause all sorts of problems crashing etc.

BeeVee
04-19-2013, 01:26 AM
My advice would be not to install in Program Files. Since XP nothing is allowed to be written to that directory by a user, which means that configs, presets, etc. will break easily. When you install, remove Program Files from the path so that you go to C:\NewTek\LightWave11.5 instead. You will have far fewer frustrations finally (I would use the word alliteration but it doesn't begin with f).

B

Snosrap
04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks BeeVee. Maybe the installer should just do this.

jwiede
04-20-2013, 04:17 AM
Hmm...that seems like it might be a bug. If 11.5 is supposed to be using its own 11.5 directory structure, why is it doing anything that would lead to the creation of a 11.0 directory structure? Since most have 11.x (pre-11.5) installed, we wouldn't necessarily notice 11.5 accessing the 11.0 directory structure (because that dir structure already exists on our machines), but the real question is whether it legitimately should be accessing (thus creating if not present) 11.0 directory locations at all, no?

chikega
06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
My advice would be not to install in Program Files. Since XP nothing is allowed to be written to that directory by a user, which means that configs, presets, etc. will break easily. When you install, remove Program Files from the path so that you go to C:\NewTek\LightWave11.5 instead. You will have far fewer frustrations finally (I would use the word alliteration but it doesn't begin with f).

B

That's a great idea. I've already had to reinstall Win8 because the permissions were FUBAR. Not even the built-in Win8 "Refresh" would work. And it occurred when I was trying to modify files in the Program Files directory.