PDA

View Full Version : help me!

a_chisholm
11-08-2003, 08:22 AM
i have been trying to take dxf (autocad) files into lightwave and 3d em' up. I can get the outlines loaded up but i'm having extreme difficulty in changing the outline into a polygon.

Iv'e attached one of the files below (to open dxf, just goto load object and select "all files" as the filetype and it'l appear).

Someone told me to select the points in order and hit p, but this produces a lot of polygons, some facing forward, and some backward ?!?! I am wanting 1 flat polygon of the shape so i can extrude it and animate it with others

Please have a look. If anyone could give me an idea as to where i'm going wrong i would appreciate it greatly.

Alistair

gjjackson
11-08-2003, 12:54 PM
I can't view it here but when creating polygons from points you need to select them in order, counterclockwise. When I'm creating objects from Cad files I put the dxf in a background layer and just build the object from there. It works especially well if you have different views of the same dxf.

a_chisholm
11-09-2003, 06:48 AM
thanks for your advice gjjackson. I tried selecting points counter-clockwise but it makes the same problem. Is this a bug???

But anyway, i'l upload a new file. I am basically wanting this object to be solid inside.

If anyone could show me how i'd be delighted, cheers,
Alistair

a_chisholm
11-09-2003, 06:50 AM
here!

*Note
I need to know how to do this by tommorow morning, my livelyhood depends on it :(

SHIV
11-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Wow, that's a lot of points..

Anyways, personally I would do this..

http://dbbr17626.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/help.gif

Identify the points at the ENDS of the curves and then use those 4 points between adjacent curves as the basis forming polygons.

So, following the diagram, select point one and then clock-wise select all the points in the curve up to point 2.. then select point 3 and clockwise select all the way around to point 4.

Press P to generate a polygon

Then for the next bit clockwise select points 4, 5 ,6 7 and press P to generate a quad polygon.

Finally do the same as you did with points 1,2,3 and 4 but with A,B,C and D.

Press P to generate a polygon.

You should now have 3 polygons. 2 multi-sided and one quad.

Now all you need to do is repeat the process across the whole shape joining adjacent curves..

a_chisholm
11-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Ah, i get you.
Thanks shiv for your advice but i have since figured out what was going wrong.... i think

Some of the points from autocad were doubled over and also there were too many points so by using the merge tool i reduced the points and was able to create a poly easily. I have about 20 different parts to model so i might try your technique on a few tommorow

It's interesting to see how lightwave copes with imported dxf files. Hopefully Newtek will provide a better way of importing in the new version:p