PDA

View Full Version : Oslo Train Station walkthrough

Ryste3d
04-17-2013, 02:34 AM
Oslo Train Station walkthrough with LW and Kray.

We didn't have any blueprints of the Train Station layout and no measures. The Train Station Hall was made from a ton of images our client send us.

Now we have to make a new 3d walkthrough from another train station, but this time I hope we could have much more people in the scene with more realistic walks.

an(i)ma Crowed Animation looks promising, but its for MAX :-(

Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tceb5_1TnfU

ArtGoblin
04-17-2013, 03:18 AM
Wow ! really nice and a smart way to work this. It's been so long since I was in Oslo last, I'm wondering what changes have been made, except for the fact that I've never seen that place so clean It looks pretty much spot on :)

Mitja
04-17-2013, 03:27 AM
Interesting! I think you had a very tight deadline... Can I ask you a couple of technical questions?
Assuming you rendered 25fr/sec, so a total of 3000 frames at 720p: rendertime per frame?
Did you send the scene to a renderfarm? (If yes, how much did they ask to render the sequence?)
How long did it take from start to finish to model and animate all the stuff - excluding the rendering time ?
Where did you find that aniamted people? I think I recognize them, should be axyz...
Thanks and compliments for the job!

M-X
04-19-2013, 05:25 AM
Looking good you should try Greenscreen filmed people on a single poly with the alpha channel as a clip map.
See the library below:
http://www.mx-greenscreen.com/

nemofish
04-21-2013, 09:09 PM
No any suggestion,it's great now!

djwaterman
04-21-2013, 10:17 PM
The people are fine if they remain far from the camera and don't change direction when they walk. I'd love to know what technique you used with Kray that gets no flicker with animated people walking thrugh the scene.

alexos
04-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Suggestion... get rid of the chap walking straight through the chairs at about 1.04 :)

Apart from that, I have no idea: as you say, anima looks good but like too many things out there it doesn't love LW; Marlin had a library of 2D, clipmapped moving people which was rather nice - but with the usual drawbacks. I suspect pretty much everyone else uses Archvision RPC, but the experimental LW plug-in hasn't been updated since V6 or something... Perhaps you could do something instancing some carefully (for variety) modeled and surfaced characters, but I suspect you'd have then to spend hours fixing intersections. Uhmm... Rob! We need a crowd engine! Pretty please?

ADP.

JonW
04-22-2013, 06:44 AM
The people look a bit short. Stretching probably will fix the walking problem. A touch too tall is better than a touch too short.

The figures turning in the scene are distracting.

Group people 3 - 5 - 7 more or less in fairly similar direction & 1 to 3 in the other. A group of people will hide the deficiencies of the single person, make sure legs are out of sync. Have a group then a sort of a gap then another group etc.

As already mentioned keep the people a respectful distance from the camera & this will also hide things. Maybe 1 or 2 close to the camera when there is something else distracting or even another person coming from a different direction to take the attention away from the first person. This will also hide the deficiencies of the people.

A higher number of people moving in the distance.

A few more people looking in shop windows.

Have a look at a train station get a feel of how people move.

It's a good start, don't leave the people to the last minute.

djwaterman
04-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Yes, I'd definitely keep people at a distance for the most part, that way the scene looks populated but they don't distract us from the architecture, and also harder to spot deficiencies in the models and walk cycles. I think you can get away with the same models and walks you have here but just try to keep them distant. Awesome job by the way.

SteveH
04-22-2013, 08:22 AM
This is another place with animated 2D greenscreen people. Nice animation by the way!
http://store.got3d.com/animated-people-textures.html

Tobian
04-22-2013, 10:44 AM
The main areas of focus, I'd say are the lack of real shops.. especially when the camera dwells on them, or flies past them in perspective (it's hard to tell if facing right on). And the images could use some tone-mapping, to stop the highlights clamping out the way they do. Otherwise a very bright clean and attractive look.