PDA

View Full Version : Morph mixer won't work.

Snosrap
04-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I know you guys will think I'm crazy but Morph Mixer won't pick up morphs in objects that have been saved with parentheses in their file names. Now before you guys go off and prove to me that is not the case let me clarify that the morph objects with (parentheses) in their file name work fine if I save the them to my local drive, it's when I save them to our network that they don't work. Could someone that saves to a crazy corporate network test and verify? Thanks.

Greenlaw
04-17-2013, 08:30 AM
You might want to avoid using non-letter and non-number characters, with the exception of '_'. It might work fine in a local render but it can cause problems somewhere in a network render.

Some 3D programs won't even allow you to use non-letter/non-number characters in item names because it can confuse scripts and expressions. (Which can happen in LightWave too.)

G.

Snosrap
04-17-2013, 08:53 PM
I thought those days were over. I do use the following naming convention - MyObjectName_v1.lwo - just out of old habit, but I thought spaces and special characters were pretty much okay with todays OS's. I use parentheses all the time in my object names to differentiate between similar items with different attributes. Heck, even in my directory structure I use an ampersand. See attached for example of many vases I have as well as an ampersand in my directory structure. :)

ShadowMystic
04-19-2013, 07:48 PM
I thought those days were over. I do use the following naming convention - MyObjectName_v1.lwo - just out of old habit, but I thought spaces and special characters were pretty much okay with todays OS's. I use parentheses all the time in my object names to differentiate between similar items with different attributes. Heck, even in my directory structure I use an ampersand. See attached for example of many vases I have as well as an ampersand in my directory structure. :)

Your poor naming conventions. There are reasons there are the standard practices that we (the Majority) use.

Snosrap
04-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Your poor naming conventions. There are reasons there are the standard practices that we (the Majority) use.I suppose. :) It has only bit me in the butt this one time though. And now I know to not use parentheses when I need to use MorphMixer. :)

ShadowMystic
04-19-2013, 09:39 PM
I suppose. :) It has only bit me in the butt this one time though. And now I know to not use parentheses when I need to use MorphMixer. :)

My favorite is "fixing" someones lost files because they used a '.' and the PC read it as a file ext.

shrox
04-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Are dashes - OK?

Greenlaw
04-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Probably not a good idea--it can be read as a minus sign when using expressions. If you don't use expressions, it's probably not an issue but if you work in a studio with a group of artists, it's probably going to mess up somebody who does. It might possibly trip up some scripts too.

My experience with poor naming choices happened a long time ago when I designated nulls by placing a plus sign in front the null's name. Back then I thought this was clever because the plus sign resembled a LightWave null and it was easily identified as a null in the Scene Editor. But the first time another artist used my setup with Relativity or the native expressions system, things broke all over the place. Ever since that incident, I've used 'n_itemName' to designate null items and have never run into a problem.

G.

shrox
04-19-2013, 11:39 PM
So underscore is better then? _(or whatever it is properly called.)

Greenlaw
04-20-2013, 12:09 AM
AFAIK, yes.

G.