PDA

View Full Version : The bends

circleofsmoke
04-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know the best way to ben objects - I still struggle to get anything sensible out of the LW bend tool after all these years (maybe it has secret ninja ways, but I dont know them) bones in modeller would be cool but all I really want is a quick spline to control the bend of a segment - like wot modo does

hrgiger
04-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah the bend tool confuses a lot of people. It really needs an update.

The trick to it is to place your cursor facing along the length and bend there. Not from a side or top view like you might expect. So if you have a long cylinder and want to bend it along its length, you want to place your cursor in the viewport that is facing either the top or bottom of the cylinder. And of course you can use the falloff guide to determine where the bend will affect the mesh.

circleofsmoke
04-15-2013, 02:05 PM
thanks - thats better but still way short of what a chain of bones can do - I think the rotate tool seems easier with a liner falloff

Lewis
04-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Hi

Can you post mesh what you want to bend ?

P.S. But Yes, LW bend tool is complicated and not very inituitive (and can't be used properly in perspective view), Basically it misses GIZMOS for better control.

bobakabob
04-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah the bend tool confuses a lot of people. It really needs an update.

The trick to it is to place your cursor facing along the length and bend there. Not from a side or top view like you might expect. So if you have a long cylinder and want to bend it along its length, you want to place your cursor in the viewport that is facing either the top or bottom of the cylinder. And of course you can use the falloff guide to determine where the bend will affect the mesh.

As hrgiger says, and a good idea to have quad view open so you can see the effect.

hrgiger
04-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Yup, most of modeler tools would benefit from gizmos as well as adjustable (live) falloffs.

The worst thing about the current bend tool is that you can't even constrain the movement.

Amurrell
04-15-2013, 08:14 PM
You could also use the plugin bezier bridge http://lwplugindb.com/plugin/bezier-bridge/ Not really a bend tool per se but allows a good amount of control.

prometheus
04-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Ah..open old core and bend it as it should be done, ohh..sorry, not implemented yet:)

Spline guide can bend to, but that isnīt perfect either, you canīt even ctrl-constrain the handles to lock the dragging, you have to use grid snap or be very careful while moving.
Itīs about time bend tool becomes what was layed out in core, or maybe improve the splineguide tool with ctrl constrain, and also a center axis guide curve that can be bended by nodes
and bend defom it completly even around itīs normals.

spline guide also has a use background curve, so if you draw a clean bend curve, or create one from a disc, you can then activate spline guide and use bend and use from backround curve.

Michael

Orimar
04-15-2013, 10:04 PM
See the Bend tool in action:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Bend.mov

prometheus
04-16-2013, 02:52 AM
one thing that I hate about the bend tool is that you just simply not can ctrl_constrain the bend to lock the bend in the axis and bend direction.
You might think that canīt be to hard to code in, along with a numeric value slider that interactivly could be set to adjust when setting it numericly to 90-180 degree or by dragging the slider.
Rarely do I wanīt a shear tweak happening in my perfect bend.

Michael