PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11.5 loses radiosity cache filepath.

Mr Rid
04-15-2013, 02:37 AM
I dont have time to troubleshoot this thoroughly. But this is the first time I've tried saving radiosity cache in LW11.5, and it appears that it will only read the cache file in the content directory's root 'Radiosity' folder. If I bake the cache to a subfolder within the Radiosity folder, lock pre process, save scene, close and reload scene, then LW loses the filepath again. So does LW11.5 lose the filepath if the cache resides in any folder other than the main Radiosity folder?

In Wordpad, the LWScene file shows the correct filepath for the cache in the subfolder, but when I click 'Cache File' it points to the 'Radiosity' root folder instead. If I respecify the filepath to the subfolder, F9 seems to use the cache (GI time is an appropriate 1.7 secs), but the render time has now jumped from 2mins 20secs (when cache was initially baked) to 10mins 12 secs (the same cache file).

I just rebaked the unchanged scene, and render time is weirdly thru the roof again. A small, 230x 300 limited region that took 2 mins 20secs to render with previous cache, and 1 minute with cache disabled, is now taking over 10 mins with the newly saved cache enabled. Is anyone else having this weirdness?

Kaptive
04-15-2013, 05:51 AM
I've just set up a quick scene to test the radiosity path.

In my content directory, I have a folder called "radiositycache" as opposed to the standard "Radiosity" folder. I set that to be the place where I stored the radiosity cache, rendered a frame and then saved the scene. I reloaded the scene, and it remembered the path for the cache file with no problems.

If I click on "Cache File" it takes me to my custom radiosity folder (on scene reload).

No idea what is causing you this problem Mr Rid, but I hope this helps eliminate things a little. I just wish I could think of a reason for the strangeness you are getting!

Mr Rid
04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
I've just set up a quick scene to test the radiosity path.

In my content directory, I have a folder called "radiositycache" as opposed to the standard "Radiosity" folder. I set that to be the place where I stored the radiosity cache, rendered a frame and then saved the scene. I reloaded the scene, and it remembered the path for the cache file with no problems.

Thanks so much for trying! But does LW remember the filepath if instead you save to a subfolder inside your "radiositycache" folder?

dee
04-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks so much for trying! But does LW remember the filepath if instead you save to a subfolder inside your "radiositycache" folder?

Works fine here.

System Information:
Operating System: Win 7 64Bit German
CPU Type: Intel Core I7-875, 3.2GHz
Number of CPUs: 1 QuadCore
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 660TI 2GB
Display Driver Version: 311.06
Lightwave 64bit

Danner
04-16-2013, 02:40 AM
Yesterday I saved out a cache file with the .cache file extension. Today my scene could not find it. so I went looking and what do you know.. the file was renamed by windows or LW or a cosmic ray to .cac file extension.. Could this be the problem in your case?

Kaptive
04-16-2013, 09:08 AM

Yep, still remembers. All working fine on this end Rid.