PDA

View Full Version : Flocking based hypervoxels using relative age gradient input

snsmoore
04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Has anyone tried to use the Relative Particle Age gradient input with particles generated with the new flocking generator?

(I was originally going to make an fairy dust effect that moved across the scene, but thought it would be cool if the fairy dust would have a more organic feel to it, so I thought I'd try to use the flocking controls.)

As a test(before I work out my gradients), I just tried to color the particles with a different color based on their relative particle age. Seems like the relative age input doesn't work with flocking based particles.

Here are some basic steps I used:

1) create a new (flocking) generator (use defaults)
a) Set end frame to 120 and the Count X, Y and Z to 10 each.
2) create a new director (use defaults) and move it away from the flock
3) click the Calculate All Motions on the Flock_Master window. (You should see the flocking agents flow to the goal)
4) click new hypervoxels and activate the hypervoxels on the new flock (new_flock)
a) Set the object type to sprite
Note: a VPR view should show the Agent hypervoxels in transition towards the goal
5) Under the Hypervoxels shading tab, change the following
a) Set the Layer Type to Gradient
b) Set the Input Parameter to Relative Particle age
c) Set the gradient to go from white to blue

At this point I'd expect that scrubbing through the timeline would produce a mix white to blue particles depending on their age, but that isn't what's happening. All particles (cloud puffs) remain white/grey.

Do flocking based particles not use the relative particle age?

I'll probably just use standard particle emitter and key frame it, but it would be nice to know if there are limitations to flocking based particles.

-Shawn

COBRASoft
04-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Nice idea, another approach could be: flocking, instances, gradient with distance to object, procedural on it to randomize a bit. Perhaps this is easier to setup and control?

snsmoore
04-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah, using instances might get around this. Still curious as to why the relative age doesn't seem to work.

dwburman
04-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Isn't the flock all created at the same time?