PDA

View Full Version : lightwave 11.5 keeps crashing

Stephen0523
04-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi all. Suddenly my Layout and Modeller keep crashing upon launch. I tried deleting the Prefs in the Library, but no luck. I am on a Mac Pro running OSX 10.7 with 16gb ram. LW has always been very stable until now.

I tried in a New User and it seemed to work.113506
Please help if possible.

Wired2wall
04-27-2013, 01:54 AM
I'm able to open lightwave modeler, but as soon as I pick certain tools like (Logo or Toroid) it crashes. Not sure how to fix this.

UnCommonGrafx
04-27-2013, 06:22 AM
I have had this happening a lot this year in our lab. Here is what I did yesterday to rectify it on at least one machine that has exactly the behavior Wired2Wall speaks to: logo, toroid for modeler and shift+S in layout and fiberfx crash lightwave immediately.

I went to the Library>applications and found the newtek library of which I cleared everything.
Then, go to the Applications>Newtek>11.5 folder and create a preferences folder, if you don't already have one. Leave that folder open in finder and start up LW.
Close LW, hub and all, and notate whether or not files appeared in this new preferences folder. If not, do a system search, find where the files are being stored. Go there and delete them.
Go check the spelling of the preferences folder you made and try it again.

If you see the files appearing in the new preferences folder, go try a logo.

I did, as well, reinstall LW, initially, but that didn't work because the configs still got confused.

Stephen0523
04-27-2013, 07:15 AM
Hi Robert, I was having crashing issues last week. I deactivated most of my fonts and that fixed the problem.

Leo Chen
11-28-2015, 12:14 AM
Hi Robert, I was having crashing issues last week. I deactivated most of my fonts and that fixed the problem.

Did you mean "too much fonts cause the problem"?

Leo Chen
11-28-2015, 12:24 AM
Hi all. Suddenly my Layout and Modeller keep crashing upon launch. I tried deleting the Prefs in the Library, but no luck. I am on a Mac Pro running OSX 10.7 with 16gb ram. LW has always been very stable until now.

I tried in a New User and it seemed to work.113506
Please help if possible.

You still got a "crash report" but I get nothing.

I have many 3D models which could be read a couple of days ago, can not be read anymore!!!
The LightWave 3D 2015 will crash without any warning and crash report.

But these 3D models can still be read by LightWave Layout.
And the Lightwave Modeler can read these 3D models tranfered from "Lightwave Layout"!

How come?

prometheus
11-28-2015, 02:52 AM
switch to 11.6.3 if you can, it was the most stable..I couldnīt use 11.5 due to crashes.
Better yet, get 2015.

gerry_g
11-28-2015, 03:42 AM
crash report does mention fonts, fonts can cause crashes if system has two fonts with identical id's but usually the system gives every new font you add a unique new id that doesn't conflict with the existing database, Mac has a native control panel for font management 'Font Book', I don't use it I proffer Extensis and Font Doctor, but I believe in 'Font Book' you can look for duplicates with a menu command from the top drop down bar

Leo Chen
11-28-2015, 05:11 AM
switch to 11.6.3 if you can, it was the most stable..I couldnīt use 11.5 due to crashes.
Better yet, get 2015.

Thank you for suggestion, prometheus.

My question is why my LightWave 3D 2015 can read these 3D models a couple of days ago...
I have re-installed my LightWave 3D 2015 twice and the problem still exist.

- - - Updated - - -

crash report does mention fonts, fonts can cause crashes if system has two fonts with identical id's but usually the system gives every new font you add a unique new id that doesn't conflict with the existing database, Mac has a native control panel for font management 'Font Book', I don't use it I proffer Extensis and Font Doctor, but I believe in 'Font Book' you can look for duplicates with a menu command from the top drop down bar

Thank you, Gerry_g.

But how come "fonts" could cause LightWave 3D to crash?
Too many fonts?

Sensei
11-28-2015, 05:39 AM
You should get rid of config folder (rename it for instance),
rather than deinstall whole app..

Did you mean "too much fonts cause the problem"?

Stephen's problem has probably nothing to do with your problem.
His problem can be seen analyzing bug report, screen-shot, he attached.
Apps scans the all fonts in the system at the beginning of working.
And building internal database.
One of fonts has something that's incorrect (null pointer of some string),
and passing this further to sorting routine,
crashed app.

Thank you for suggestion, prometheus.

My question is why my LightWave 3D 2015 can read these 3D models a couple of days ago...

Follow prometheus suggestion and install also LW v11.6.x
this way you will check whether its crashing or not with your files.

I have re-installed my LightWave 3D 2015 twice and the problem still exist.

Your object can be damaged for instance.
It's too little informations.
Attach them here, so we will be able to open here on our LW.

Leo Chen
11-28-2015, 07:54 AM
You should get rid of config folder (rename it for instance),
rather than deinstall whole app..

Thank you, Sensei.

But where is the config folder.
PS: I have un-installed the LightWave before re-installing the LightWave 3D 2015.

Stephen's problem has probably nothing to do with your problem.
His problem can be seen analyzing bug report, screen-shot, he attached.
Apps scans the all fonts in the system at the beginning of working.
And building internal database.
One of fonts has something that's incorrect (null pointer of some string),
and passing this further to sorting routine,
crashed app.

Thank you for explanation.

Follow prometheus suggestion and install also LW v11.6.x
this way you will check whether its crashing or not with your files.

But I do not have LightWave 11.6.x.

BTW, is that possible to down-grade only LightWave Modeler?

Your object can be damaged for instance.
It's too little informations.
Attach them here, so we will be able to open here on our LW.
The 3D model still can be open with other program, include LightWave Layout.
PS: The LightWave could open the 3D model a couple of days ago...

Also, the lightWave modeler still can import the 3D model transfered from Lightwave Layout!!!

I am sorry.
Since these 3D models are commercial products I bought that I can not upload these 3D models here.

Sensei
11-28-2015, 08:03 AM

If model has problem with Modeler, not Layout,
try using File > Save Transformed Object As.. in Layout.
And then try to open newly made file in Modeler.
Alternative: save in Layout as OBJ.
Flush surface settings, and write file to new name, see if it helps.

Leo Chen
11-28-2015, 08:30 AM
There are only LightWave 3D 2015 on list.

spherical
11-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Install one of the other versions alongside 2015.3. It will create a unique config directory in your /User/[username] directory tree on the %SystemDrive% ( usually C: ).

In your [username] directory there is a /.NewTek directory. In that are the installed version config directory trees for each installed version.

DrStrik9
11-28-2015, 08:00 PM
On Mac (it may be the same on PC), you can just create a directory in your LW application directory, and name it "Preferences". All the configs will automatically get saved there each time you quit Modeler and/or Layout.

I found a good practice is to make a backup of these Prefs every once in awhile. I do this by putting another directory in my LW Apps directory, called "BackupPrefs". Then every day or two, I make a new folder and name it by date, as in "11-28-2015", and manually copy all my config files into that folder, immediately after quitting LW apps. This way, if and when any config file becomes corrupted, all I have to do is replace the current configs with the newest working set of configs.

This beats hunting in arcane places for my LW configs! :+)

Leo Chen
11-30-2015, 04:10 PM

If model has problem with Modeler, not Layout,
try using File > Save Transformed Object As.. in Layout.
And then try to open newly made file in Modeler.
Alternative: save in Layout as OBJ.
Flush surface settings, and write file to new name, see if it helps.

Thank you, Sensei.

- - - Updated - - -

Install one of the other versions alongside 2015.3. It will create a unique config directory in your /User/[username] directory tree on the %SystemDrive% ( usually C: ).

In your [username] directory there is a /.NewTek directory. In that are the installed version config directory trees for each installed version.

Thank you,spherical.

Leo Chen
11-30-2015, 04:14 PM
On Mac (it may be the same on PC), you can just create a directory in your LW application directory, and name it "Preferences". All the configs will automatically get saved there each time you quit Modeler and/or Layout.

I found a good practice is to make a backup of these Prefs every once in awhile. I do this by putting another directory in my LW Apps directory, called "BackupPrefs". Then every day or two, I make a new folder and name it by date, as in "11-28-2015", and manually copy all my config files into that folder, immediately after quitting LW apps. This way, if and when any config file becomes corrupted, all I have to do is replace the current configs with the newest working set of configs.

This beats hunting in arcane places for my LW configs! :+)

Thank you,DrStrik9.

But, "you can just create a directory in your LW application directory"?!
Under what tool? under "save" tool? under "save as" tool? or ...?

Leo Chen
11-30-2015, 04:25 PM
After I using FontBook fixing all the fonts, the problem still exist.

But After I using FontBook to disable a lot of fonts, the problem solved.
These 3D models can be read by LightWave 3D 2015 modeler again.

Thank you all.

Now, there is one more problem!
It is about "text tool".

Sensei
11-30-2015, 04:29 PM
It's just OpenGL glitch in Modeler viewport.
You can ignore it, or if you really want to get rid of, simply triangulate this letter. Even cutting in half in the right place will be enough to fix it.

DrStrik9
11-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Thank you,DrStrik9.

But, "you can just create a directory in your LW application directory"?!
Under what tool? under "save" tool? under "save as" tool? or ...?

You can just "make a new folder" in the LW application directory, called "Preferences."

Page 2319 of the 2015.3 Reference Manual:

"Creating a New Set of Config Files
The following steps will show you how you can easily create a fresh new set of config files in a new
location if desired.
1) Locate your LightWave installation, typically: YourHD:Applications:NewTek:LightWave2015
2) Inside the LightWave2015 directory, create a new directory named Preferences.
3) Start Layout and Modeler and quit them. You will find your
Preferences folder contains config files for LightWave.
If you run into various problems with LightWave and suspect corrupted config files, you can delete
them and use the above steps to recreate a fresh new set of config files in their current location."

This has worked here since sometime around v. 9.x of LW.

spherical
11-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Oooooookayyyy. How does this differentiate from the normal location/delete-if-borked-&-recreate method? I'm not seeing anything added, here.

DrStrik9
12-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Oooooookayyyy. How does this differentiate from the normal location/delete-if-borked-&-recreate method? I'm not seeing anything added, here.

The use of the in-app-directory Preferences is simply a convenience, with the added (easy) ability to also manually store dated Prefs backups, in the event something should go awry. This has saved my bacon more than once.

spherical
12-01-2015, 02:41 AM
Hmmm. Thanks, but still not seeing any difference. Are you suggesting that there is an automatic versioning going on with this method?

DrStrik9
12-01-2015, 10:00 AM
I don't know what automatic versioning is. (By this are you referring to how Modeler and Layout update their Configs each time you quit?)

The two methods accomplish the same things, with the added benefit of having dated config backups. This prevents the need to manually load a bunch of plugins, for instance, when restoring damaged configs. Really, it's nothing more than a convenience.

spherical
12-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Ok. I'll just have to try myself, 'cuz I'm not getting the explanation of how the "dated config backups" are being created by using this alternate location; when they aren't in the default /User tree location unless I manually copy and date them.

DrStrik9
12-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Sorry this is so difficult to grasp. It's really a very simple concept. The alternate location does not create config backups. You manually copy configs into successively dated folders, especially when you make any change to LW's configuration that would alter your configs. The only "automatic creating" that's done is that your configs will "automatically" show up in the Preferences folder, which you need to manually place in the LW Application folder one time. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but the real benefit to this method besides convenience, is to be able to quickly restore damaged configs without needing to rebuild all the plugins, window locations, custom menus, custom keys, etc., etc. -- That's all there is to it.

Leo Chen
12-02-2015, 07:30 AM
It's just OpenGL glitch in Modeler viewport.
You can ignore it, or if you really want to get rid of, simply triangulate this letter. Even cutting in half in the right place will be enough to fix it.

Thank you,Sensei.

Leo Chen
12-02-2015, 07:35 AM
You can just "make a new folder" in the LW application directory, called "Preferences."

Page 2319 of the 2015.3 Reference Manual:

"Creating a New Set of Config Files
The following steps will show you how you can easily create a fresh new set of config files in a new
location if desired.
1) Locate your LightWave installation, typically: YourHD:Applications:NewTek:LightWave2015
2) Inside the LightWave2015 directory, create a new directory named Preferences.
3) Start Layout and Modeler and quit them. You will find your
Preferences folder contains config files for LightWave.
If you run into various problems with LightWave and suspect corrupted config files, you can delete
them and use the above steps to recreate a fresh new set of config files in their current location."

This has worked here since sometime around v. 9.x of LW.

Thank you, Drstrik9.