PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Camera for Spherical Environment Map

tcoursey
04-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I am trying to get the settings for an ADVANCED CAMERA to be setup for rendering out a full 180x360 spherical environment map. I haven't been able to get it nailed down yet.

Anyone do this and have some guidance?

stobbs
04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Here's 2 plugins that will do this

http://www.lwplugindb.com/contains/panoramic/

panorama camera is free but is 32bit only. With either plugin, if you set the FOV to 360x180deg and make sure your image size is a 2:1 aspect ratio you'll get a panoramic render that can then be mapped onto a sphere.

tcoursey
04-11-2013, 01:50 PM
stobbs, thanks for the link. I pretty much only use 64 bit. But I didn't know that site before. It's kind of like a FLAY from way back. Good resource to look through.

tcoursey
04-11-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm close to getting the advanced camera. I think it can do it, just need to figure out the settings.

Ztreem
04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I am trying to get the settings for an ADVANCED CAMERA to be setup for rendering out a full 180x360 spherical environment map. I haven't been able to get it nailed down yet.

Anyone do this and have some guidance?

Set horizontal fov to cylinder and 360 and the vertical fov to cylinder and 180.

tcoursey
04-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Ztreem, is that confirmed or guess. Because that doesn't give me a spherical seamless backdrop. It's close. But I've tried that option.

tcoursey
04-11-2013, 02:05 PM
It may be that hFOV is 360 Cylinder and vFOV is same as Vertical. Doesn't make sense to me but the images come out correct, best I can tell. Further testing...

Ztreem
04-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Ztreem, is that confirmed or guess. Because that doesn't give me a spherical seamless backdrop. It's close. But I've tried that option.

Try click on automatic sizing when you apply your texture as spherical or cylindrical mapping to the sphere.

tcoursey
04-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Try click on automatic sizing when you apply your texture as spherical or cylindrical mapping to the sphere.

we'll it's more that I can just tell the image won't wrap. The hFOV as 360 cylinder and hFOV "same as vertical" option seems to work pretty good.

I map my spherical environement maps on the Y with spherical mapping type.

doh no...

Ztreem
04-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Ok, like you said. H & v fov Cylinder 360 seems to give a seamless panorama. As I think about it that was the values I used several years ago when this feature was new and I needed to make an animated hdri environment. I was just certain that the advanced camera could do it.

tcoursey
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Ok, like you said. H & v fov Cylinder 360 seems to give a seamless panorama. As I think about it that was the values I used several years ago when this feature was new and I needed to make an animated hdri environment. I was just certain that the advanced camera could do it.

Yea I knew it could do it. Just seems weird the values needed to achieve it. Like you said and I thought originally, 360 H and 180 V should work....who knows.

Thanks for the help.

Ztreem
04-11-2013, 03:22 PM
You could also use spherical fov in advanced camera and render two images (one with camera turned 90 degrees) and assemble them in an hdri image manipulation app. Then you can use that image as an image world environment.

Celshader
04-11-2013, 07:00 PM
For native tools, Advanced Camera would be my second choice because it is not optimized for multithreading.

If the CoolMuseum Panoramic Camera was not available, I would try this:

In Modeler, make a Ball and UV map it with Spherical coordinates.
Load this Ball into your scene in Layout, and leave it at the center.
Add a Surface Baker Camera. Set the Mesh to the ball object and the UV Map to the name of the UV map. Activate the "Bake Surroundings" checkbox.The rays will now start over the UVs of the ball, but they will fire outwards from the ball instead of inwards towards the mesh of the ball.
Adjust the Width and Height of the Camera to taste and hit F9.
Keep the ball around for future Surface Bakes in other scenes.

Greenlaw
04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Here's a half-size version of a reflection map I rendered a little while ago for our upcoming short film using the Advanced Camera with the cylinder option--it wraps inside a sphere just fine.

This image wasn't meant to be 'pretty' because all I'm using it for is a spherical reflection map for the musical instruments carried by characters in the short. But the original image was rendered at 2048 x 1024, with Final Gather enabled, an okay amount of AA applied, and a zillion instanced plants and tombstones, and it rendered in about 40 minutes. The odd pinching at the top occurs because the sky map isn't painted properly for the sphere it's mapped to--I didn't care about this because the camera never looks up that high in the film.

Otherwise, I was quite pleased with how well Advanced Camera performed in this situation. Someday I'll use it again for an image that I actually care about. :)

It was super easy to set up (thank goodness because I did not want to spend a lot of time on this!) The camera was positioned at about eye level to the characters, facing Z. Here are the Advanced Camera settings I used:

113524 113523

Hope this helps.

G.