PDA

View Full Version : Free Online Rendering - Amazing tech!

Surrealist.
04-11-2013, 01:49 AM
Thiago Costa at it again. The guy is a genius!

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/new_lagoa

I signed up. I think it is 5 hours per month free for a free account. Pretty cool. I have no idea how to use it yet. But it looks very simple!

OFF
04-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Future is near ) One day we'll all be in the "clouds", so that we can use such power of the computer, what we need at different moment..

Surrealist.
04-11-2013, 03:39 AM
And the cool thing is that this is just a platform. Wonder what the genius has up his sleeve for special effects, particles and so on to write into it once it gets going. Frkn exiting to watch this one!

“I realized that to be able to cope with the speed of development, we needed a more modern architecture to develop software and iterate on it. We needed to introduce new features, to make things happen in real-time for the user while doing our best to improve the quality of production tools,”

Now, that is an amazing idea for soft dev.!

Waves of light
04-11-2013, 04:08 AM
Just signed up and having a play. Looks very good.

COBRASoft
04-11-2013, 04:35 AM
While being impressive, this is not something new. Disney worked closely with Microsoft Azure to accomplish something similar. They rendered a lot of scenes on Azure Compute instances. Cloud Computing is the future, like it or not!

Surrealist.
04-11-2013, 04:45 AM
Yeah this tech has been around for years. But these guys are doing something new and amazing with it. And one of the guys behind it (Thiago) is a guy to watch. It is real limited right now. But I can see this going someplace very fast.

prometheus
04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
just signing up..but it is freezed on fetching commands for quite some minutes, 5 minutes now..and waiting..almost like newtek forums.

questionable how companies are to secure their product innovations and make sure you have all rights and products assets not getting in wrong hands.

Michael

shrox
04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
The cloud is not secure.

prometheus
04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
The cloud is not secure.

Yes...thatīs a major disadvantage of it.
also .. it didnīt work for me, after 10 minutes of the screen saying "fetching" I gave up and logged out.
Must be doing something wrong.

Personally I have my doubts about services and much beeing transfered to cloud technology.

Michael

shrox
04-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Yes...thatīs a major disadvantage of it.
also .. it didnīt work for me, after 10 minutes of the screen saying "fetching" I gave up and logged out.
Must be doing something wrong.

Personally I have my doubts about services and much beeing transfered to cloud technology.

Michael

Security isn't just about today. Pass codes that would take the best silicon based computers millennia to break will fall in minutes to quantum computers.

dsol
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Just signed up - this is very neat indeed. The interface is particularly impressive - very responsive (apart from when the network chokes it). Amazing how powerful HTML5 is for interface design now. Heh - I wonder if NT are considering replacing Lightwave's aging Xpanels UI with a webkit-rendered UI? it'd certainly make it easy to customise - and a lot easier to create a Unix version too.

OFF
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I wonder if NT are considering replacing Lightwave's aging Xpanels UI with a webkit-rendered UI.
Thinking about the same!

dsol
04-11-2013, 11:44 AM
There's some crazy levels of innovation going on out there. And with projects like WebCL (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2011/07/samsung-releases-code-of-webcl-implementation-for-webkit/) in the works, how long before we can actually render in the browser too? (Lagoa uses server-based rendering I assume)

Webkit-based UI would be very cutting edge - and a much smarter and future-proof alternative to QT (though it will require writing more custom glue code)

prometheus
04-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Canīt get it to work still after a new trial, just hangs on fetching commands.

firefox browser.

Michael

dsol
04-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Try it with Chrome - if it's using WebGL, I believe Chrome's implementation is the most stable (since they created it!)

shrox
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm not going to worry about cloud security with something like rendering though, other than bad hackers. If it works well, great! I just always have connection problems wherever I seem to be...

Waves of light
04-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Yer, I had SSL issues whilst trying to upload an obj, then parts of the interface became invisible. Did manage to upload in the end and have a quick play... impressive when it works.

prometheus
04-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Try it with Chrome - if it's using WebGL, I believe Chrome's implementation is the most stable (since they created it!)

tried firefox again..still the same, tried Chrome, and that works.

thought it took to long time to load the sample start project scene, a little flickering when navigating, granted quite fast to render..but it goes fast with lightwave, octane or even faster with keyshot.
are my specs better than theirs or what? :)

Michael

Doctor49152
04-11-2013, 05:37 PM
MMMmm webkit based UI would be pretty damn genius. Not sure it could handle multiple GL windows though.

I signed up and it works great in Chrome.

Surrealist.
04-11-2013, 09:04 PM
I am not a security expert.

But you can not set up a private project with a free account. If you pay you can set up a private project, same as something like Dropbox and choose who to share it with.

But just generally, these guys are not stupid. They are targeting this product to corps, and I am fairly sure that they have thought of security issues. Would be a good idea to ask them directly about those concerns.

Seems to be in very early stages of development. But the basic tech seems to work. I could see things like this as the future of software - at least an alternative. Not full replacement. But I can see larger companies like Disney, Dreamworks and the like, adopting this kind of thing in the future. Lagoa is way ahead of the curve here. But I imagine that this would be a game changer for large studios working with large teams even in the same building, much less over international sites. If they could get all of the various tools working in this environment, it would change things drastically for the workflow, and I imagine smart execs are keeping an eye on this. At some point, dollar for dollar, it will make more sense to be working this way as opposed to the current traditional methods.

JonW
04-11-2013, 09:38 PM
I am a bit intrigued who is paying for the electricity, it adds up pretty quickly.

roboman
04-12-2013, 10:53 PM
8 or 9 months ago I redid a render I did years. A couple minor changes and small updates. I fired up Lightwave 7 and did it very quickly. Lightwave 7 still worked. At work I pull up cad drawings that are up to 25 years old and drawn with a program that is no longer supported by a company that has been out of business for 15 years. The likely inability to do that with a cloud ap bothers me, but not nearly as much as them changing focus or going out of business while I'm in the middle of a project. If Newtek went out of business in the middle of my next project I still have 11.5 chugging away and will for as long as I decide to have it loaded on my computer. The other thing that really bothers me about a cloud service is that in the middle of a project they can decide to change their pricing or simply decide to do something for a big customer that totally screws all the small ones, IE a big customer demands use of 90% of all the render time for the next 45 days to finish up a big project on time.

Very cool idea and software. Wonder how hard it would be to set up the desktops to run lightwave with a remote access program. That way you could run Lightwave and your own renderfarm from any where on a computer that doesn't have the power to really run Lightway.

COBRASoft
04-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Simple: IAAS servers from Microsoft Azure...