PDA

View Full Version : Octane Render License Question

Simon-S
04-10-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm really interested in buying Octane render for Lightwave and wondered if anyone knows how the licensing works?

I use a few programs like Topogun and Adobe Cloud which allow me to use them on different machines (home and work) by signing out/deactivating on one and reactivating on the other as required.

I just wondered if there is the option to do this with Octane Render or if it's tied to one machine?

Cheers

UnCommonGrafx
04-10-2013, 03:14 AM
It is exactly as you surmise: it is based on the de/activate by the web for multi-computer usage.

juanjgon
04-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Yes, you can activate/deactivate the licenses to use them in more than one computer. This can be made from the plugin or using your web account page.

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Excellent! Thanks - just the answer I wanted to hear :)

Simon-S
04-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Purchased! Now where's my download! :p

Simon-S
04-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Does anyone have any tips on Octane for lightwave setup? I have the standalone and plugin activated but the IPR is not showing anything - just a black screen. It sticks on 'UPDATING SCENE IN GPU's'.

Also if I go for the f9 render option its says GPU 0(active)...does this mean that my GPU is number 0 or that no GPU's are active?

Any help on this greatly appreciated as I'm really eager to check Octane out.

juanjgon
04-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Does anyone have any tips on Octane for lightwave setup? I have the standalone and plugin activated but the IPR is not showing anything - just a black screen. It sticks on 'UPDATING SCENE IN GPU's'.

Also if I go for the f9 render option its says GPU 0(active)...does this mean that my GPU is number 0 or that no GPU's are active?

Any help on this greatly appreciated as I'm really eager to check Octane out.

What is your configuration (LW version, GPUs, etc.)?

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-10-2013, 09:10 AM

LW 11.5

NVIDIA GT 640 - This is a CUDA enabled card and although not the fasted I'd expect at least something to render.

Just installed latest graphics drivers too.

Looks like it's just not playing ball with my GPU

juanjgon
04-10-2013, 09:16 AM
LW 11.5

NVIDIA GT 640 - This is a CUDA enabled card and although not the fasted I'd expect at least something to render.

Just installed latest graphics drivers too.

Plugin must work with this GPU without problems. Can you load the sample scene available in the .zip archive to see if it works?

Is the LW11.5 x86 or x64?

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Yeah I've been trying to render both the the sample scenes without luck. Also tried a scene with a simple sphere object but can't seem to render anything.

LW 32bit....I should perhaps see if I have any luck with 64bit

juanjgon
04-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Can you also please check if Octane standalone application works in your system?

-Juanjo

juanjgon
04-10-2013, 09:22 AM
I must leave the office now, but if you can't render with the plugin, please tell me and later tonight I will try to fix the problem ... It must work, I have not seen problems with 6xx GPUs before.

-Juanjo

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, please try the x64 bits version if possible.

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-10-2013, 09:24 AM
It opens yes but I have no idea how to load something in to render test. :s

- - - Updated - - -

I must leave the office now, but if you can't render with the plugin, please tell me and later tonight I will try to fix the problem ... It must work, I have not seen problems with 6xx GPUs before.

-Juanjo

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, please try the x64 bits version if possible.

-Juanjo

Cant even load the plugin into 64 bit LW...."plugin was not found and cannot be loaded"

Simon-S
04-10-2013, 09:28 AM
OK managed to get the plugin installed but still have the same problem.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Cant even load the plugin into 64 bit LW...."plugin was not found and cannot be loaded"

Thanks for your help on this :)

UnCommonGrafx
04-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Simon,
How many cudas on that card? The one i have installed at home, GTX620, has 96 cuda cores in it. VERY SLOW.
If your card has less cuda cores than that, that would be a problem. They speak of mostly gtx boards on OTOY.

juanjgon
04-10-2013, 01:45 PM

You only need to load a object file in the .OBJ format, you can export any object from LW Modeler in this format and load it in the Standalone.
Also you can download the Octane standalone demo scenes: http://render.otoy.com/downloads/OctaneRender_1_0_DemoSuite.zip

I don't have a GT640 to test the plugin, but with a GT650 works fine, I am sure that there is no problems with this GPU. Anyway to be sure we must test the Standalone ... if it works we have a problem with the plugin installation or other issue.

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-10-2013, 02:36 PM
I have 384 cudas. Not loads I know but I'd expect something to render.

juanjgon
04-10-2013, 03:15 PM
I have 384 cudas. Not loads I know but I'd expect something to render.

Sure, Octane should work with your GPU ... please, if you can test the Standalone to see if it works.

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Yes the standalone renders :)

juanjgon
04-11-2013, 02:47 AM
Yes the standalone renders :)

Ok ...

- You tell me that you try both x32 and x64 plugin versions without luck. Is this true? ... I tell you because one user with your problem has a corrupted download files, but if you try both it is hard to think that both files are corrupted. Please, be sure that you don't mix the x32 and x64 files, specially the Octane.dat file.

- Are you sure that you download the 0.10.2 release?, you can verify this using the "About Plugin" command.

- Can you please enable the render log file in the plugin option panel and send to me the log file that you get after load the dragons scene and hit F9?

- Does your computer an integrated graphics in the CPU, or a second GPU for display?

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-11-2013, 03:11 AM
113485113486Ok -

I have the 0.10.2 plugin tested in both 32 and 64 bit.

Yes I have an i7 3770 with integrated graphics.

For some reason the f9 render now works in 64bit which is great but the IPR remains black with info stating 'UPDATING SCENE IN GPU's'.

32bit wont work with either f9 or IPR.

Attached is the f9 display in 32bit, and the log from the 32bit f9 render.

juanjgon
04-11-2013, 03:34 AM
113485113486Ok -

I have the 0.10.2 plugin tested in both 32 and 64 bit.

Yes I have an i7 3770 with integrated graphics.

For some reason the f9 render now works in 64bit which is great but the IPR remains black with info stating 'UPDATING SCENE IN GPU's'.

32bit wont work with either f9 or IPR.

Attached is the f9 display in 32bit, and the log from the 32bit f9 render.

Ok ... this is something really strange. In the log I can see that Octane fail with this error:

00:00:01 * OCTANE API MSG: CUDA error 999 on device 0: An unknown internal error occurred.
00:00:01 * OCTANE API MSG: -> Failed to bind device to current thread

The error message indicates that there is some incompatibility between Octane and the CUDA driver or the CUDA driver and the graphics driver. Which CUDA driver did you install?

Can you send to me also a log file of the x64 IPR to see if we have the same error? ... as before, load dragons scene, enable log file and open IPR.

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-11-2013, 03:48 AM

I installed the latest nvidia driver for my GPU...should I be installing a special CUDA driver?

Just tried another render in 64 bit and that is no longer working either (log attached)

Looking at the log file it seems to have the same error 999.

juanjgon
04-11-2013, 04:25 AM

I installed the latest nvidia driver for my GPU...should I be installing a special CUDA driver?

Just tried another render in 64 bit and that is no longer working either (log attached)

Looking at the log file it seems to have the same error 999.

You don't need a special CUDA driver. Do you perform a clear install of the last drivers?, perhaps you need to uninstall the current ones in your system and later install the last ones in a clean system.

What is the version of this NVidia drivers?

I am not sure how this integratid graphics works, perhaps this is the problem ... do you have it working? (is your monitor attached to the main board or to the GPU GT640 board). Do you know if it is possible disable it?

Really I am lost ... We have a lot of Octane for Lightwave users and nobody report this kind of problem :( ... if we can't fix the problem I can also ask to Octane developers about this issue.

-Juanjo

- - - Updated - - -

Other question ... do you have other computer where you can plug the GPU card to test it?

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-11-2013, 04:42 AM
I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling my GPU drivers and see how I go with that. My monitors are attached to the GT640 yes although I'm not sure how to disable the integrated GPU - will look into it.

Thanks again for your time here, you are a gent. :)

juanjgon
04-11-2013, 04:43 AM
I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling my GPU drivers and see how I go with that. My monitors are attached to the GT640 yes although I'm not sure how to disable the integrated GPU - will look into it.

Thanks again for your time here, you are a gent. :)

I hope we can fix the problem :)

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Ok so...

Integrated GPU was disabled all along so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I also went ahead an uninstalled my GT 640 - reinstalling drivers with a clean install.

32bit LW now renders with f9 and IPR :) :) :)

64 bit - nothing...same as before

Standalone renders

juanjgon
04-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Ok so...

Integrated GPU was disabled all along so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I also went ahead an uninstalled my GT 640 - reinstalling drivers with a clean install.

32bit LW now renders with f9 and IPR :) :) :)

64 bit - nothing...same as before

Standalone renders

Ok ... at least x32 works, are you sure that you don't put the Octane.dat and Octane.dll files from x32 in the x64 LW/bin?

Again, if you can, please check the log file of the x64 with the current drivers clean install, to see if this CUDA error is there and is the same.

What is your windows version? ... what Standalone are you testing x32 or x64?

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-11-2013, 08:03 AM
OK well it looks like I spoke too soon... neither 32 or 64 bit are working now.

Checked that I put the correct dat/dll files in the correct locations too.

Windows 8 64bit and the standalone is 64bit.

I really dont understand why 32 bit was working and now its not. Equally I managed to get 64 bit to render with f9 this morning :S

juanjgon
04-11-2013, 09:34 AM
OK well it looks like I spoke too soon... neither 32 or 64 bit are working now.

Checked that I put the correct dat/dll files in the correct locations too.

Windows 8 64bit and the standalone is 64bit.

I really dont understand why 32 bit was working and now its not. Equally I managed to get 64 bit to render with f9 this morning :S

Really strange problem ... is your GPU or your system overclocked?, anyway I can't understand why Standalone works and plugin not, and why sometimes plugin works :( ... looks like a hardware or drivers problem, but if Standalone always work it is hard to say.

Can you please review again a log file to see if the CUDA error is always the same?

Sorry about this issue, I will ask also in the Octane developers forum to see if somebody has seen this error before.

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Hi,

On starting up my machine this morning the standalone has decided it no longer wants to render either. (see attached).
Nothing has been changed since it was working yesterday - just a shutdown and startup.

I now can get a render out of any of Octane...a really disappointing start after spending 250 :(

I checked my plugin logs and there are both coming up with the same error, not really sure what to try next.

00:00:01 | ... Init rendering ...
00:00:01 * OCTANE API MSG: CUDA error 999 on device 0: An unknown internal error occurred.
00:00:01 * OCTANE API MSG: -> Failed to bind device to current thread

juanjgon
04-12-2013, 05:08 AM
Yes, Standalone fails probably with the same problem that plugin.

I think that you have a system software or a hardware problem. Is your CPU or your GPU overclocked? ... if yes, disable all overclocking and try again. Perhaps you can also use a system or memory test software to see if you have some kind of errors in your memory modules.

Sometimes this kind of errors also happens with a defective power supply, when GPU needs a lot of power it fails because can't get enough power from the PSU.

Windows 8 itself is not a problem for Octane. I have it working in my laptop without problems.

Is possible for you to test your GPU card in other computer?, or other GPU card in your computer?

About system software problem, other option could be re-install your windows system, but I am not sure if you can (perhaps you can install a new Windows 8 using a second HD if you don't want to lose your currect system).

Perhaps you can also try to run a intensive graphics test tool to see if all works fine ... something like http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ or http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

I think that our best option is try to check your GPU in other computer or other GPU in your computer, and perhaps later try to re-install your system if we think that you have not a hardware problem.

-Juanjo

juanjgon
04-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Also if you want you can email me at [email protected] if you want a more direct communication with me.

I hope we can find a solution for your problem.

-Juanjo

juanjgon
04-12-2013, 05:22 AM
I was searching in the Octane forums about this errors, and I think that near all times a CUDA 999 error comes from a defective GPU or a problem with the power supply. Sometimes also happens in overclocked systems.

-Juanjo

juanjgon
04-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Hi Simon,

Any news about your problem? ... have you made any other test with other computer or GPU?

Any question, please tell me.

-Juanjo

Simon-S
04-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Hi, Still no progress on this - although I've not had a chance to test another GPU in my machine yet to see if my GT 640 is defective. This is my work pc so getting a free hour to test this is proving difficult.

I have however installed Octane on my home pc and it works perfectly on that - so at least I am managing to get some use from Octane for freelance work.

Will give you a shout when I've test another GPU in my machine.