PDA

View Full Version : Adding a bug & flat screen tv

dhaley
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi guys,

Our studio has a tcxd300 that we use weekly for our live shots as well as cable shows. For two of our programs the producers are asking me to add a graphic "bug" on the screen during production, similar to news stations, etc. How do I add (and keep) a bug on the program out?

Also, I have been asked to get a flat screen tv for the background of one of our alternate sets. This needs to fill the screen with 1-2 headshots. Anyone who uses a tv for their background, and has any idea what size to get and any problems they have had that I need to be aware of, please let me know.

Thanks to all of you, as usual, and I hope that isn't a stupid question. I haven't found this topic anywhere and never created a bug live, or used a TV as a background.

~Dylan Haley
Director of Photography
Ampersand Studios, SB

jmmultex
04-09-2013, 10:12 PM
One way to add a bug is to create it as a 32 bit PNG file, add it as a graphic in your session, and load it on screen using a DSK. You can also add it to a frame buffer and do the same thing. You can also do it with virtual inputs using the overlay - preserving the DSK's for other things, but switching between VI's instead of direct sources.

Unfortunately, I can't help much with monitor sizing...

Best,
-John

kltv
04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
What I would do for sizing the TV is just to sort of lay out a mockup in real life to see what you need to fill the shot. Grab two chairs, set them next to each other, place your camera the distance it will be for your shot and frame it. Then step back to where you would place the TV and figure out how wide the display needs to be to fill that shot. I'm betting to actually fill the shot from side to side as a complete background, you'd need something 60" to 70" diagonally. If you just need it as a background element between the two heads, something in the 40" to 50" range.

Kris

dhaley
04-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks John. Up until now we have simply been using it as a switcher and live-shot machine, so I'm not really sure on using the DSK's, but I will learn it tonight. Thanks again!