PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave is crash crazy on Render

cesario1212
11-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Hi, I'm using LW 7.5 c on a Mac with OS X.2.-whatever the latest version is. I have dual G4 867's and a GB of RAM.

In both screamernet/LWSN and regular LW, my scenes crash periodically when I go to render them. Just after the shadow maps have been calculated and geometry moved, LW crashes at the beginning of pass 1/5 without thinking twice. BOOM, just gone. In screamernet, none of my scenes have Masterplugin handlers in the code, and in regular LW, master plugins don't seem to matter (ie. like spreadsheet et al).

The crashes are often unpredicatable, but just recently, LW has been on a solid "no holds-bar-take-no-prisoners" crash streak with several scenes.

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this?

Art-man

P.S. I've noticed a little bug lately in LW when I (often, though not always) first open a scene and change a parameter (other than the parameter I mention below). Sometimes it can be a while into working on the scene too and it will happen. What happens is I go to hide and object in the scene editor--this object is always in the first three rows at the top of the scene editor (the object may vary, since the object's row is based on how far I've scrolled through the scene editor). Anyway, I go to hide the object via the little coloumn next to it's name. LW doesn't pop up the little choice window like it should. Instead, it just pauses for a bit and then crashes. Now, and this is interesting, if I use the tab on top of the scene editor to hide the object, everything works.

Has anyone else had this issue, too?

toby
11-08-2003, 12:44 PM
That's an odd little bug - have you gone through the 'trash prefs & re-load plug-ins'? Someone recently mentioned crashes with loads of subpatch objects, if you have a lot, try rendering with all the subpatches set to 0, maybe you could freeze some of it - experiment with different image formats, it could also be a bad object, remove them one at a time and try a render

rebohn
11-08-2003, 02:04 PM
My system: Mac dual G4 1.25, 2gig RAM, OS10.2.6
I like to experiment a lot and frequently get to a point where LW crashes unexpectedly. Sometimes it crashes just when I hit F10 to render a scene. I often get a message "Lightwave has quit unexpectedly" when quitting the program normally. When it gets "hinky" like this, I trash the Programs folder, the Plug-Ins folder, and all the Preferences from my Home Library. After emptying the Trash, I recopy these folders to their proper places from backups I made after running and configuring LW/Modeler the first time. Then I run MacJanitor to rebuild the locate database, and restart. It runs just like new then until I crash it again several times. I consider LW to be a bit unstable on the Mac, but also I simply do not believe that OSX is immune to software crashes.
It may not be necessary to trash the Programs folder, but this seems to have improved my results.
I'm not a technician (obviously) but I hate losing work. I reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything every three-four months. I keep my output in easily identifiable folders I can back up manually. Reinstalling OS10 is drag, but there is no other way to be sure something hasn't been corrupted-- I'm also running Vue d'Esprit, which is unstable, and Premiere, which has always had obscure problems. I use Norton regularly but it always wants to "fix" dates on a lot of system files, which I ignore because that results in the system becoming useless, -- I am going to try Disk Warrior.
I am getting into major self-defense here, but I think it is necessary. Technicians may have different and more well-informed opinions, which I'd be happy to hear.
Since you have Screamernet, it may be the source of some of your problems, but I'm posting this hoping it will help eliminate many snags.

toby
11-08-2003, 05:04 PM
wow - that's drastic! I've never even heard of pc people going that far!

I've heard from technicians that Norton used to be good, but now it causes as many problems as it solves. Their corporate headquarters got hacked back in March too :eek: They also said (all of them) that Disk Warrior rules, and highly recommend it

cesario1212
11-10-2003, 09:30 AM
The geomerty in my scene is a large industrial shelf construction probably in the 100,000 poly range, no subpatching whatsoever. Oddly, Lightwave has regularly handled my 1,000,000 poly scenes with all the raytracing fucntions on without a glitch before, so this glitch with a much lower poly count without refraction on is perturbing. There's two subpatched objects on the shelf, but their poly count is so low they're not worth mentioning (their subpatch level has only been at a level 1 so they're really not adding much to the scene). I'm also using the spinning light trick to get a radiosity effect (but the shadows are raytraced due to shadow map inaccuracy).

My scenes have crashed before with other objects, so I'm not sure if this object in particular is "corrupt." I think raytrace reflections with multi-threading on may be an issue, but I'm not sure.

rebohn, I wish I had the luxury you do, but reinstalling right now would cost me precious time. Maybe in December, when the project is over, I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks for your help guys!

Art-man

P.S. A guy on CG talk says he's run into the little quirk in scene editor, too. The bug seems to have snuck up on me just before LW went on the crash streak (because I never noticed it through the summer and most of the fall). I'll try reloading my plugins, and reinstalling a backup of my customized preference files from the summer.

fabmedia
11-10-2003, 02:05 PM
I use the radiosity cheat quite often, and I'm starting to believe that shadow mapping is part of the cuprit with crashing. Especially with sub-patch objects.

I'll keep my eye on this thread....

Arlen

cesario1212
11-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Alas, shadow maps and subpatching aren't an issue for me. I think it has to do with the ray-trace reflection option and multi-threading set at 8. It works at 4 for the one particular shelf scene, but 8 crashes it. Even weirder, I'll put all the objects (ie. load from scene) into another scene with even heavier calculations and refraction on for glass, and multithreading of 8 works.

Got me. I'm confused.

Art-man