PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new member, and a workflow question

tachoknight
04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Aloha all-

I'm a new member, as I've just started using a TriCaster, the 455. The organization I work for just got one and I've been able to record several programs, simple stuff with just three cameras and a crossfade, no DVR, lower-thirds, etc. I'm learning the ins-and-outs of the system and find it really powerful while being easy to use.

The big question I have comes from wanting to take the footage and edit it. I have a Mac on the same network (literally sitting right next to the Tri console) on the same switch (the Mac, like the Tri, uses ethernet, not wi-fi). I have Final Cut X on the machine and want to use that for editing the footage, add titles, maybe an additional audio track, then make a DVD or post to Vimeo/YouTube. All standard stuff.

The real issue is how am I supposed to get the footage over to the Mac? Or, more precisely, what is the best way? I can enable SMB on the Mac, make a share, connect to it from the TriCaster in Windows, push the footage and ... wait for hours for the copy to finish (if it does). I am currently using a 1 TB NTFS-formatted disk and plugging it into the front USB port, and copy the files to that, and also wait no less than an hour (I'm guessing the 455 does not have USB 3 ports). I knew that NTFS is read-only on the Mac, which is fine as I can read the raw footage and make the final movie on the Mac HD, but what I wasn't counting on was how buggy the NTFS driver seems to be on OS X (as multiple kernel panics will attest).

I was thinking that a NAS shared between the two machines might be an idea, but everything I read seems to suggest that NewTek really recommends recording straight to the internal disks (which I understand for both performance and reliability) but that leaves me waiting for practically an entire afternoon before I can start editing.

I had thought that I could record everything to the removable disk, and then pop that out but since the Mac doesn't have external sata, I'd be going through a USB 2 interface and I'm guessing popping the disk in and out is not the recommended thing to do.

So I don't know what to do; I have a number of options, and I understand that slinging 50-90 gig files is going to take awhile regardless, but I just gotta imagine that somebody has already faced this same issue and come up with a great solution.

Thanks for any information. Loving the TriCaster, can't wait to make more use of its power!

SantiagoVa
04-07-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't have a 455, but you might consider a high speed 128 gig USB thumb drives. I
have seen them going for $60. You can probably edit on the Mac straight from the USB.

tachoknight
04-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi Santiago-

I'm not sure if that would ultimately be any different than using the USB disk I'm currently using (1 TB, USB 3, except that neither the Mac nor the TriCaster has USB 3 ports :\), and because Windows can't read HFS+ natively, it would have to be formatted for NTFS which makes it read-only on the Mac.

focalpp
04-08-2013, 07:55 AM
You could format the drive as ExFat and then it's read / write on both Windows and Mac. That's what I do and it work fine (besides the slow transfer times)

- - - Updated - - -

Or, you could get a hard drive docking station - http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTech/Voyager/Hard_Drive_Dock
and connect it to your Mac via FW 800

jcupp
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Cavalry-Retriever-EN-CAHDD2BU3C-ZB-Standalone-Duplicator/dp/B003ZDLATE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365464433&sr=8-2&keywords=sata+drive+bay+usb3

pop out the sata drive drop it into the usb3 dock and edit away

SantiagoVa
04-09-2013, 09:45 AM
jcupp wins!

inforum
04-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Are you sure the connection between the TriCaster and the Mac is gig ethernet?

It should not take anywhere close to hours to transfer files of that size across a proper switch.

You could also look at investing in an external recorder. We currently use a Ki Pro Rack from AJA (http://www.aja.com/en/products/ki-pro-rack). Records direct to ProRes and can transfer files via network or by popping out one of the drives and just hooking it up to your edit station. Added bonus is that your TriCaster isn't using resources to do the recording, something external is. Same concept applies for soemthing like an external encoder for streaming instead of using the FMLE NewTek uses by default.