PDA

View Full Version : Particle generator emitting geometry

digitalimagery
04-07-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm sure this is basic. I've created a series of cartoon faces onto spheres and need the spheres to rise slowly upward through the frame (would be nice to have some random subtle motion ((slight rotation)) as they rise).

I suspect I create a box emitter and size it to cover the width and depth of the scene and apply a small number of particles to rise in the Y axis. I'm stuck on how to apply the geometry to the particles being emitted and how to cycle the various sphere geometry to the particles being emitted.

Can some one point me in the right direction?

Thanks
DI

JoePoe
04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
This may be "old school", but make your emitter and run FXlinker..... substitutes your geometry for the particles. Has all the rotation/randomness control right there.

digitalimagery
04-07-2013, 01:56 PM
This may be "old school", but make your emitter and run FXlinker..... substitutes you geometry for the particles. Has all the rotation/randomness control right there.

I tried the FXlinker and although it does work I don't see any way to cycle through the multiple spheres with different texture maps (UVs) applied to each. Am I missing that or can this not be done with this method?

Thanks
DI

JoePoe
04-07-2013, 02:04 PM
How about multiple emitters?
Each one is responsible for a specific object.
How many different ones are there?

digitalimagery
04-08-2013, 08:05 AM
How about multiple emitters?
Each one is responsible for a specific object.
How many different ones are there?

There will be anywhere between 8 to 15 (I'll decide when I see how it looks). I suppose this could be done but there must be an easier way. For instance in AE with Particular, if you organize your particles replacements numerically (face000, face 001 etc) and apply it to the emitter, particular cycles through the numeric stack when generating the particles. Something like that is what I was hoping for.

I appreciate your assistance on this. Anyone else care to chime in? I was hoping for a video tutorial that might walk me through the steps.

Thanks
DI

jameswillmott
04-08-2013, 08:15 AM
I'm sure this is basic. I've created a series of cartoon faces onto spheres and need the spheres to rise slowly upward through the frame (would be nice to have some random subtle motion ((slight rotation)) as they rise).

I suspect I create a box emitter and size it to cover the width and depth of the scene and apply a small number of particles to rise in the Y axis. I'm stuck on how to apply the geometry to the particles being emitted and how to cycle the various sphere geometry to the particles being emitted.

Can some one point me in the right direction?

Thanks
DI

I'd use the instancing plugin, if you're on a late enough version of LW. Ask away if you need to know more.

digitalimagery
04-08-2013, 08:17 AM
I need to know more. Is this a plug in included with lightwave? If not can yu send me a link? I'm on version 10.1

Thanks
DI

jameswillmott
04-08-2013, 08:43 AM
I need to know more. Is this a plug in included with lightwave? If not can yu send me a link? I'm on version 10.1

Thanks
DI

Ah, sorry, instancing came out with v11. Cody Burke goes through a tutorial here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajYZC-RVk-0 ) so you can see it working... FXLinker/FXDynamicLinker will work too but they aren't as forgiving when you start adjusting scene parameters.

digitalimagery
04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Ah, sorry, instancing came out with v11. Cody Burke goes through a tutorial here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajYZC-RVk-0 ) so you can see it working... FXLinker/FXDynamicLinker will work too but they aren't as forgiving when you start adjusting scene parameters.

Thanks for teasing me (kidding). Management won't spring for the upgrade since we don't charge for the work I do with LW. It's a complimentary service we offer as part of the marketing we do for our financial advisors. So as much as this may solve my problem, it doesn't really help.

I'm surprised this isn't a standard part of the basic particle generator. Isn't this a pretty common use for a particle generator - like a bundle of balloons floating into the sky, flocking birds an ant community? They all require individual geometry while being emitted as a group.

Thanks anyway for your help.
DI

jameswillmott
04-08-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised this isn't a standard part of the basic particle generator. Isn't this a pretty common use for a particle generator - like a bundle of balloons floating into the sky, flocking birds an ant community? They all require individual geometry while being emitted as a group.

Yes, it is a fairly standard thing to do with particles, hence why we put the instancing feature in there, but FxDynamicLinker should still work for you. You can apply multiple spheres to a particle system by selecting all the objects first, then the particle system you want to attach to, then run FxDynamicLinker.

digitalimagery
04-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Yes, it is a fairly standard thing to do with particles, hence why we put the instancing feature in there, but FxDynamicLinker should still work for you. You can apply multiple spheres to a particle system by selecting all the objects first, then the particle system you want to attach to, then run FxDynamicLinker.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

DI

nickdigital
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
The particular technique can be replicated with hypervoxels and using sprites. You could do that but you won't be emitting geometry.

digitalimagery
04-08-2013, 09:39 AM
The particular technique can be replicated with hypervoxels and using sprites. You could do that but you won't be emitting geometry.

That's the only problem, I need the geometry. These cartoon faces will represent financial clients, as they rise through the frame (like spaced apart bubbles) they'll dissolve to the exact same motion path as globes with dollar signs (representing their money). I need to create a motion path which will simulate some subtle floating globes which I'll render twice once with faces, once with dollar signs and cross dissolve between them during the animation. I'm thinking it may just be easier to animate the individual globes as separate objects. I just try to learn new functionality with each project to grow my skill set.

Bottom line is I can't justify too much time with my work load and deadlines.

Thanks.
DI

dee
04-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks for teasing me (kidding). Management won't spring for the upgrade since we don't charge for the work I do with LW. It's a complimentary service we offer as part of the marketing we do for our financial advisors. So as much as this may solve my problem, it doesn't really help.

Thanks anyway for your help.
DI

Use DPInstance (not DPInstancer), it's great and free: http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/DP_Instance.html

digitalimagery
04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Looks promising, thanks!

DI

JoePoe
04-08-2013, 10:04 AM
How about this.....

Emitter > voxels > .... in the voxel texture color channel use your UV images, control different images through a gradient (Z distance to camera.... or other). You can envelope the images to change to the dollar signs.

(although DPInstance looks pretty dang good. :))

digitalimagery
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Wow that sounds like an option too. So many options/so little time. I'd hate to go down a long road with a complex option when there is an easier one I'm unaware of. Don't know enough about any of them to determine which is easiest and fastest. Any help on that issue would be welcome.

Thanks JoePoe!
DI

JoePoe
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Hehe, ...... believe me I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you!

All depends on your learning curve. While DPInstance looks to be the much MUCH more powerful option, it would take me a day just to read through the web description, and who knows how long to actually put it into motion (so to speak ;) ). In the long run, though, a great tool to have at your disposal.

digitalimagery
04-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Hehe, ...... believe me I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you!

All depends on your learning curve. While DPInstance looks to be the much MUCH more powerful option, it would take me a day just to read through the web description, and who knows how long to actually put it into motion (so to speak ;) ). In the long run, though, a great tool to have at your disposal.

Yeah that was my impression. Looks like what I need but if I go through it and get stuck, in the same amount of time I could probably just animate the individual spheres. Might have to save that one for the weekend over coffee.

Thanks for your input.
DI