PDA

View Full Version : Any Point Normal move alternatives?

Philbert
04-07-2013, 01:15 AM
I have a very high poly model that I need to add a tiny bit of thickness to, about 0.1mm. I would normally use Point Normal Move but it just freezes up as soon as I press Enter, I guess because of the high poly count (about 750,000). Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative way of doing this?

ShadowMystic
04-07-2013, 01:51 AM
I have a very high poly model that I need to add a tiny bit of thickness to, about 0.1mm. I would normally use Point Normal Move but it just freezes up as soon as I press Enter, I guess because of the high poly count (about 750,000). Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative way of doing this?

You could try move plus right click. Idk how it'll handle 750k polys or if it uses the same code base as point normal move

Philbert
04-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Are you saying Move Plus with a right-click or Move with a right-click? Either way I'm not sure I follow.

ShadowMystic
04-07-2013, 02:06 AM
The former. Activate Move Plus then use right click for a point normal move-type alternative. I think it is a little less accurate. Polys must be selected. Doesn't follow LW's standard none selected all selected. maybe should Fogbugz
'

Hail
04-07-2013, 02:10 AM
The new transform gizmo in 11.5 is a good alternative
Basically, all you need to do is select the polys, points or edges u want to move along their normals and then hit alt t to activate the transform gizmo, right click on the polys you want move and it will align the gizmo to the normals and then you can use the gizmo handles to move the selected polys along their normals

Philbert
04-07-2013, 02:13 AM
My thing is that I want to add thickness to something tube shaped though, so moving in one direction won't help.

I don't see anything happen when I right-click with Move Plus, even with polys selected.

ShadowMystic
04-07-2013, 02:19 AM
The new transform gizmo in 11.5 is a good alternative
Basically, all you need to do is select the polys, points or edges u want to move along their normals and then hit alt t to activate the transform gizmo, right click on the polys you want move and it will align the gizmo to the normals and then you can use the gizmo handles to move the selected polys along their normals

Unless I am missing something, that is in no way an alternative to point normal move. That simply aligns to a single poly and moves all selected based on it. That is not the function of point normal move.

ShadowMystic
04-07-2013, 02:29 AM
My thing is that I want to add thickness to something tube shaped though, so moving in one direction won't help.

I don't see anything happen when I right-click with Move Plus, even with polys selected.

weird. I'm using 11.5, but I'm pretty sure it's been working like this since at least 9.6. I just right-click, drag, and I get PNM-like functionality. If you have 11.5, you could use the new thickener tool or the Third-party thickener 3.5 if you don't.

Philbert
04-07-2013, 02:52 AM
Oh right-click and drag. I need to be more precise than that, exactly .1mm, it's for 3D printing.

Dodgy
04-07-2013, 03:28 AM
Smooth-Scale is basically point normal move.

djwaterman
04-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Is there a reason you can't use the thicken tool?

Surrealist.
04-07-2013, 05:32 AM
If Smooth Scale does not do it - has a numeric input so it should work - here is an unconventional alternative:

In case it is just too many points for Modeler to deal with. Load it up into Layout.

Properties Panel Deform Tab

Add a Normal Displacement from the Add Displacement drop down.

Set amount to .001 (1mm)

Texture/Procedural/Value

Save Trans.

Done.

Philbert
04-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Smooth Scale was perfectly thanks, worked instantly with no hang.

@djwaterman Wouldn't Thicken add geometry inside?

probiner
04-07-2013, 09:42 AM
To me Smooth Scale and Point Normal Move have their names swapped, even though they both move on normals, Smooth Scale moves the same amount on all vertices (Like Layout displacement), while Point Normal Move makes an average, giving rounder results. More details in http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?125346-The-3D-Edge-Bevel-Shift-Inset-Chamfer-Thread&p=1245943&viewfull=1#post1245943

Cheers

djwaterman
04-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Smooth Scale was perfectly thanks, worked instantly with no hang.

@djwaterman Wouldn't Thicken add geometry inside?

Yes, but that's what your original question was , you said you wanted to add a tiny bit of thickness to it. Anyway you used smooth scale and that worked for you, because you actually wanted to scale it along it's normals by a fraction of a millimeter, I misunderstood but there have been some interesting solutions thrown about. Glad it's sorted out.

Philbert
04-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Sorry if I wasn't clear, the object is already solid, so adding geometry inside wouldn't do anything (except maybe make Modeler crash with that many polys lol).

JoePoe
04-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I HOPE you have geometry inside!

If you just smooth scaled what you had you didn't add any thickness at all, you just made it a little bit bigger.
I hope you copied and pasted and then smooth scaled. And I hope you flipped whatever's inside.
You should have 1.5 million polys (that's assuming your object is completely enclosed).

Remember the wall thickness they give you is the absolute minimum..... .75mm is about the thickness of a credit card.
Depending on material and intricacy you might want to give some areas a little more. :thumbsup:

By the way, what material can be printed with .1mm thickness?? Smallest I've seen is .3mm. And most are closer to 1mm.

ShadowMystic
04-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Oh right-click and drag. I need to be more precise than that, exactly .1mm, it's for 3D printing.

I didn't realize you needed absolute precision. Glad you found smooth scale. Forgot it did that. What was the verdict on using the new thickener?

Philbert
04-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Thickener would add geometry inside which I don't need, it would just double the amount of polys for no reason.

Here, I made a render.

JoePoe
04-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Ah, now that I see the object, it all makes sense. :thumbsup:

Nice, btw.

So you just wanted to add an extra .1 to the thickness already there. What is the final material going to be?

tyrot
04-07-2013, 10:58 AM
smooth scale is AWESOME never used it before - thanks Dodgy for reminding us

ShadowMystic
04-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Despite loving LW, it becomes more and more apparent that it has an abundance of tools that do similar and identical functions...

Surrealist.
04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Smooth scale is a handy little unassuming tool. Many uses.

Philbert
04-07-2013, 12:00 PM
So you just wanted to add an extra .1 to the thickness already there. What is the final material going to be?

Yes Shapeways had complained that the wires were too thin to print so along with some additional modeling I wanted to make sure they were plenty thick. It's the White Strong and Flexible material.

It's up there now.
http://shpws.me/mTa9