PDA

View Full Version : Help needed!! How to bend/fold paper coffee cup label into a 3d model of a cup

jboudreau
04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi Guys I have this label that I scanned in from taking a card board coffee cup apart. I can't figure out how to fold this shape/wireframe into the coffee cup. I thought it would be simple but it turns out it's really complicated to do.

can anyone help. Please see attached images below

Thanks,
Jason

nickdigital
04-06-2013, 05:42 PM
You've tried the bend tool?

jboudreau
04-06-2013, 05:49 PM
yes I did here is the results of that. It's almost like you have to bend and taper at the same time.

JoePoe
04-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Seems to me you're going about it backwards.
You have your graphic right! Just make a simple cup and UV it. Much easier to get that shape in the UV window to match perfectly the imagery. :thumbsup:

jboudreau
04-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Seems to me you're going about it backwards.
You have your graphic right! Just make a simple cup and UV it. Much easier to get that shape in the UV window to match perfectly the imagery. :thumbsup:

Hi thanks for the response

I was only doing it backwards because I don't have the original art work of the coffee cup as a straight label. I was trying to not have to recreate the label in illustrator. I would prefer just modeling the coffee cup using lathe etc.

As for uv mapping I didn't think I would be able to uv map that texture shape. Thanks I will give it a try.

JoePoe
04-06-2013, 06:04 PM
NO NO!! Use the curved label as art!!!!

See attached..

jboudreau
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
NO NO!! Use the curved label as art!!!!

See attached..

Oh sweet. did you have to move each point individiually to get the curve on the top and bottom of your uv map. I was playing around with the ABF UV unwrap tool but that is much better. Could you please explain how you did this

Thanks,
Jason

hrgiger
04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Create a simple cup, unweld the cup on a seam, create a morph and flatten the cup and bend it to match your unrolled coffee cup image and then create a planar UV of the unrolled geometry. Once your UV is correct, you can delete the morph map. Then you can reweld the cup.

jboudreau
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Create a simple cup, unweld the cup on a seam, create a morph and flatten the cup and bend it to match your unrolled coffee cup image and then create a planar UV of the unrolled geometry. Once your UV is correct, you can delete the morph map. Then you can reweld the cup.

Hi thanks for the resonse

I un welded the cup and flattened it by stretching it in the top viewport. I'm having trouble bending it to the right shape. This is what I have

Thanks,
Jason

JoePoe
04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
I did it..... differently. But some of the techniques I used can be used in the morph way.

To me, the shape is so simple you don't need a lot of those steps.

I just grabbed the outside ring of polys, did an automatic cylindrical unwrap (no need to for a special unweld... the seam will be the seam automagically).

The rest is in the attached animated gif.
Just know that I didn't touch any point one at a time. It's all batch moves.... top row or bottom row with different falloffs.
(btw to draw out your falloff influence (the blue lines) use the right mouse button).

You can use the same technique to make your morph if you want, but make sure to draw out a square before you UV in order to keep the proportions. :hey:

jboudreau
04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
I did it..... differently. But some of the techniques I used can be used in the morph way.

To me, the shape is so simple you don't need a lot of those steps.

I just grabbed the outside ring of polys, did an automatic cylindrical unwrap (no need to for a special unweld... the seam will be the seam automagically).

The rest is in the attached animated gif.
Just know that I didn't touch any point one at a time. It's all batch moves.... top row or bottom row with different falloffs.
(btw to draw out your falloff influence (the blue lines) use the right mouse button).

You can use the same technique to make your morph if you want, but make sure to draw out a square before you UV in order to keep the proportions. :hey:

Thanks man you rock!! :) That worked perfectly. I totally forgot about the linear falloff setting

Thanks again guys for all your help
Jason