PDA

View Full Version : VPR doesn't report correct ray bounce counts

jrandom
04-06-2013, 11:14 AM
I thought I was going crazy, trying to figure out why my under-development node wasn't working correctly.

The image on the left is VPR. Note the orange bounce-light tint on the floor. In this setup orange is only supposed to show up for bounce 0 (camera ray), with all other bounced rays seeing blue. When I finally just did a render, everything works as expected.

Good to know I can still do simple arithmetic, but I kinda want my hour of debugging back. :)

The problem appears to only be with GI rays (both interpolated and non).

Sensei
04-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Draft mode on I bet?

It's not "reporting" them, it's simply not doing these calcs.. to speed up preview..

jrandom
04-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Nope, not running in draft mode. Not a huge deal, but it's something we should all be aware of when working with bounce counts.

MSherak
04-08-2013, 03:56 PM
I thought I was going crazy, trying to figure out why my under-development node wasn't working correctly.

The image on the left is VPR. Note the orange bounce-light tint on the floor. In this setup orange is only supposed to show up for bounce 0 (camera ray), with all other bounced rays seeing blue. When I finally just did a render, everything works as expected.

Good to know I can still do simple arithmetic, but I kinda want my hour of debugging back. :)

The problem appears to only be with GI rays (both interpolated and non).

Nope, not running in draft mode. Not a huge deal, but it's something we should all be aware of when working with bounce counts.

Non-Draft mode now in 11.5 takes your camera and GI settings into account. What is your nodal setup like? Cause I am getting single on up to whatever number for bounces. Well atleast that ones that I am not modifying..

jrandom
04-08-2013, 03:58 PM
It's in my plugin which uses nodal_access->bounces to get the number. Works correctly in F9/F10 rendering, but incorrectly in VPR for GI rays.