PDA

View Full Version : NAB 2013 - NewTek Diary

Chuck
04-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi, Folks!

First, may all of you traveling to NAB have a safe trip and an enjoyable experience next week!

The NewTek team is looking forward to seeing all of you who can get there at our booth, SL4610 in South Hall of Las Vegas Convention Center.

While the exhibition does not open until Monday, April 8th, activities are already beginning.

We have a page of some of the highlights of our NAB efforts here: http://www.newtek.com/news-events/nab.html

Tomorrow, Saturday April 6th, Dr Andrew Cross is giving a talk:

Donít miss hearing Dr. Andrew Cross, NewTek CTO, share his insight on how social media and alternate screens are transforming how, when and where viewers are consuming broadcast content, during the SBE Ennes Workshop: Alternate Broadcast Delivery Ė How to Make it Work, on Sat. April 6th at 12:45PM PDT, Rm S225-226.

StudioXperience:

Steve Waskul of Waskul.TV is heading up StudioXperience, a live studio in the Intel booth, with TriCaster among the equipment powering the experience. There is a busy schedule of interviews for the week: http://waskul.tv/2013-nab-show-schedule/

These include Andrew Cross at 9:15 AM PDT April 8, and NewTek LightWave Group President Rob Powers on April 8th at 3:00 PM PDT and again for another live interview Thursday April 11 at 10:00 AM PDT.

Other notes:

I will not be in Las Vegas, but will be anchoring our social media from here in San Antonio. For any questions you may have, I will be in touch with the NAB team regularly and will get answers for you.

First answer is yes, we do have some announcements, second answer is yes, I could tell you today what they are but then I'd have to detain you incognito for a few days, and I'm not sure we could afford enough ribs and beer bratwurst for the number of you who I am sure are curious about our news. Not to mention I only have a small patio. But hey, maybe next time around, eh? I do love grilling for a nice crowd... :)

BTW, for those of you who are familiar with me from my years on the LightWave Development team, I am now working on the NewTek marketing team in social media, which for us includes the forums.

For those not familiar with me, I've been with NewTek for 18 years in a wide variety of roles. I started in Tech Support, moved up to overseeing all of support and services, did a stint in marketing working largely with press and public relations, and then did a number of years as project manager and other hats for LightWave Development. I'm back in marketing and working with our various social media sites on the video marketing side.

Whether you'll be in Las Vegas for the show, or here online taking it in virtually, let's have a great week together! :)

Edits:

3Play 4800 announced here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134890-NewTek-Redefines-Sports-Replay-Slow-motion-Workflow-with-3Play-4800

Andrew Cross interview at StudioXperience is here: http://waskul.tv/portfolio/andrew-cross-cto-newtek/

Broadcast Minds(TM):

Broadcast Minds is coming up in less than an hour now! The live stream for Broadcast Minds(TM) at 9am PDT this morning will be on the NAB Show homepage, www.nabshow.com.

If you are unable to watch the live stream, we will be posting the conversation on our website after we return from NAB.

Enjoy!

joedemax
04-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Was the talk that Andrew gave recorded? I'd be extremely interested to see it.

PIZAZZ
04-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Looking forward to seeing what's in store this year.

Marty01
04-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Jef,

Look for me also. I won't be there this year unfortunately.

Marty

Chuck
04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I'll see what I can find out - I'm hoping to see it as well.

Chuck
04-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Exciting news: The new 3Play 4800 is released: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134890-NewTek-Redefines-Sports-Replay-Slow-motion-Workflow-with-3Play-4800

erikals
04-08-2013, 10:03 AM
alright, someone gimme a howler when it's running...

The Latest in LightWave 3D - Rob Powers
Monday 3.00PM

(i think it's 6 hours from now...)

hrgiger
04-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I just watched Rob Powers presentation a little while ago. Pretty interesting as far as the work that went into Avatar VAD that I hadn't seen before. When he spoke about LightWave, it was mainly about the newest features in LightWave 11.5. The one thing that concerned me was that he talked about the dedicated modeling workflow on having a seperated modeling environment which leads me to think that won't be changing any time soon. :(

khan973
04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
People said the same thing right after Siggraph. I think it's only a smart way to show it's not a disadvantage (while it really is).
People could think of it as a major issue and run away from it and miss lots of cool things LightWave has to offer. So to me it appears more like wisdom and marketing talk than a fixed plan.
At least I hope so! Modo gets interesting (+Nuke link), Cinema4D gets tied to After Effects and they both offer lots of fast easy features that can only happen in a unified environment.
Sorryto bring that again, I'll support LightWave but the right things have to be done! C4D is calling me big time!

erikals
04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
The one thing that concerned me was that he talked about the dedicated modeling workflow on having a separated modeling environment which leads me to think that won't be changing any time soon. :(

he speaks both for it and against it >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129590-Lightwave-11-5/page12&p=1268963#post1268963
we'll see eventually...

khan973
04-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Crazy stuff is LW once it unifies Nodal system and Modeler + Layout, it wil gain exponential strength.
Having clean workflow isn't a valid reason to keep them separated.
A clean interface + switch from Modeling tools to animation tools can also do the job. This is what UI designers are for!!!! especially considering the talented team!
To me it's like having a car that can either roll or turn and saying it's better to keep the two actions separated. 15 years ago, why not but C4D, XSI, Maya showed us how powerful a unified environment is.
LightWave is already awesome so why waiting to make it badass???

erikals
04-08-2013, 06:24 PM
they never did, but you got... >

1. the guys leaving LightWave for then to form Modo
2. building up LightWave after that (getting new coders, etc...)
3. trying to make something new, Core, but we know what happened to that.
4. bringing together pieces and launching LW10
5. rising, launching LW11, then LW11.5

so considering they had 2 holes in the barrel, it ain't too bad...

khan973
04-08-2013, 06:52 PM
yeah I know, first thing first, Rob and the team had to save a sinking boat. They do it perfectly!
But we need a roadmap for the future... I can't handle seeing people who have been doing 3D for 6 months doing things we can't even do.
Because they have great support, tons of tuts, presets and so on.
All the workarounds I can possibly think of would just be patches while a unified app could bring so much more.
Core wasn't bad, it just suffered from a bad marketing plan

Areyos Alektor
04-08-2013, 07:22 PM
For my part I am happy. NAB isn't the Siggraph, not expected in the same thing. But see that there are new for LightWave and it's left of what was said in August shows that it moves seriously. Having regard to the 11 and the 11.5 I trust them completely. The future? Next Siggraph is in 4 short months. In the meantime there of what to do with the 11.5, and job done with ;)

hrgiger
04-08-2013, 07:26 PM
he speaks both for it and against it >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129590-Lightwave-11-5/page12&p=1268963#post1268963
we'll see eventually...

Other then an interview where the integration of modeler and Layout was briefly mentioned, the only time I've ever heard Rob talk about the benefits is when he talks about modeling in the camera view. This could be suggesting that the only improvement we will see toward integration is providing a simple modeling toolset within Layout so you can make adjustments in the camera view. I've never seen any of the dozens of the benefits of a true integrated application mentioned.

While it may just be marketing, I don't believe there is any benefit to having a dedicated modeling envrionment. Modo also has a dedicated modeling envrionment too. As does XSI. Its called the model tab where all the relevant tools are placed in view of the user. Workspaces are the answer, not keeping a seperated modeling environment.

erikals
04-08-2013, 07:35 PM
khan, Core was bad, as it lacked lots of stuff.

hrgiger, agree, Workspaces are the answer.
Modo has some LW code so it doesn't surprise me it has some of the same problems.

Surrealist.
04-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Integration is not the biggest issue. People use Mubox, Mari, Zbrush all day long and send things back and forth to apps with GoZ and export to PS layers, Send to Maya/Softimage and so on . This works not only because these apps were originally created by individual software development concerns, but also because each application is fine tuned for its specific use. And so we don't really think much about it.

With LightWave as the only true exception to the rule, multi purpose 3D apps are conceived just like any other application. And segmenting I don't think even ever becomes a seriously considered option when developing such a tool. And there was nothing at all innovative about choosing to make modeler a separate workspace and application. And I don't think an argument should even exist as to whether or not there are advantages one way or another. I think the industry standard by every other app says enough. There is nothing about the Layout Modeler design that bests the more logical choice. In fact, if they had not made Modeler and Layout separate to begin with, we would not even be having this discussion.

But when we are talking about LightWave now. Integration is hardly the largest issue in my opinion. Not because it is better to have 2 apps, but for practical concerns.

When you say, "integration is the biggest issue", as I have said many times. And people coming from other apps run into this constantly. It is obvious. But you don't realize what you are saying at this point in time.

You may as well be asking for water to be turned into wine. (Lets see surface editor.....lol...)

The point is, the entire LightWave workflow is based on this. Every tool, every effect, all of the things that LightWave does is based on this configuration.

So what you are saying when you cry for integration is "take LightWave and rewrite the entire application from the ground up". Sound familiar?

So I think as a LightWave user now in 2013 as things are now, you have to be practical. There are so many improvements that need to be made, some simple, some more complex. And all of which would lead to more immediate benefits than waiting for an entire rewrite which will take a decade. And now longer as that route was abandoned. That would be best, and would solve many things. But it is not going to happen overnight.

If integration is going to happen it will be very slow and very gradual over a long period of time balanced with the other immediate features - just as you are seeing now.

Don't expect it in the next few releases or even years. That is the reality as I see it.

Snosrap
04-08-2013, 10:42 PM
If integration is going to happen it will be very slow and very gradual over a long period of time balanced with the other immediate features - just as you are seeing now.

Don't expect it in the next few releases or even years. That is the reality as I see it. I agree. I think the old crusty LW foundation/toolkit is their biggest hurdle that they have to deal with. And because of that I don't expect integration to happen in the 12 or 13 cycle. We'll see signs of it during those phases, but that's about it.

khan973
04-09-2013, 02:09 AM
khan, Core was bad, as it lacked lots of stuff.

The underlying concept was great, the performance were great but it didn't come out good that's a fact.
A big part of the reality of a company and what it produces is management. Rob is a great one who gets the best from his whole team and I witnessed with my eyes. I'm trusting the man and the team.
I know they'll make things right but unification HAS to occur and you never fix a rusted car by adding new rims and painting the body. Sometimes you need to get your hands dirty.
They did when adding VPR so things have to change little by little but in the right direction.

hrgiger
04-09-2013, 02:46 AM
Integration is not the biggest issue. People use Mubox, Mari, Zbrush all day long and send things back and forth to apps with GoZ and export to PS layers, Send to Maya/Softimage and so on . This works not only because these apps were originally created by individual software development concerns, but also because each application is fine tuned for its specific use. And so we don't really think much about it.

People have used these examples before but I don't see the correlation between sending an object back and forth between zbrush and another app as the same thing as sending a model back and forth between modeler and Layout. Because when you're talking about modeler and Layout, you're talking about two programs that were always intended to work together and yet there's functionality in each program that we wish were actually in the other a lot of times. We wish we could weight in Layout as weighting is mostly used to control deformations. We wish we could model in Layout to match camera view or to correct a badly deforming joint, etc... I would just like to know if integration is even in the roadmap for LightWave development. I see things being added like Genoma which is built to be used by switching back and forth between the two applications.
I cannot see LightWave truly thriving and remaining a relevant 3D application in the future without integration.

Surrealist.
04-09-2013, 05:02 AM
Your are correct and I think it even lessens the "argument" to try and justify it. All the points have been made to no end. There is absolutely no way that a separate app has any advantages. At all. And to even entertain the thought, to even give anyone the time of day on that issue to me is like.... I don't know... why do we even have to be having this conversation? You see where I am at on it?

Maybe that is just too harsh for the "separate app folks". But I do believe it is the way it is.

Now on the other hand - and the rest of my post was dedicated to this - what is the practicality of this actually happening?

You say LightWave can not stay relevant in the market without it.

Well on that point I disagree for 2 reasons.

The first is that to demand that in a reasonable time, I feel would take energy away from all other aspects of development that are also needed to keep LightWave moving forward.

The second is really just another shade of the first and that is that integration is just a large task, that what you'd be left with is an application what was one app but had so few features and workable functionality that it would be reduced to something that not even students would want to play with. And the application that had all the features would get no development. And I think we've been down that road.

You might not agree with my assessment. But I bring up Zbrush and so on, not as a way to justify 2 apps but rather to point to the fact that LightWavers have been doing it for 20 years. And this is going to be here for a while so get used to it.

Rather than demanding it, I think it would be better to simply look at small things, maybe the simplest things, little by little that can be done and work to gradually build it up over time. Over a long time.

If Newtek has no plan to integrate, I am with you 100 percent, that would be a fatal mistake.

Probably the only thing I don't agree with most people on is the estimate of effort and time factor.

khan973
04-09-2013, 06:45 AM
I agree, it's a matter of time.
I don't see it like the Core adventure but like VPR (that has been possible with the help of Core too).
Things can evolve from within. Add Bullet, great! change FFX, great!
Slowly modeling features can get integrated as the core (no CORE) system evolves until Modeler gets useless. This is how NT has handled things best. Only down side is we often end up with doubled features that are never cleaned up.
If you read the awesome book from 37 Signal (RE:WORK) they teach you how you shouldn't please all customers but make things right for many, not for all.
This is the hardest part but in business and software, you can't please everybody. You need to take decisions to remain on the run!

safetyman
04-09-2013, 07:46 AM
The main problem with CORE wasn't that it was headed in the wrong direction, or that it was bad at what it did -- it just wouldn't have been a viable standalone app for many years (i.e. no animation, rendering engine not all there, etc.) while the LW we know would stagnate during that time due to lack of development. To me, that sounds a lot like what Modo went through early on, and in some ways is still dealing with. The LW team, IMO, didn't want to follow that example, and instead focused on improving what they had. The dilemma is, you can't just build a new app from scratch and throw away the old one, and you can't work on a new app at the same time as improving the old one without double the resources -- it would be years and years before you'd see even one penny from doing something like that.

Newtek at first announced that CORE would come bundled with LW (modeler & layout), but that model was abadoned, presumably due to it being counter productive to work on 2/3 apps that are supposed to do the same thing. I hope I'm wrong, but Newtek is in a catch 22 scenario here, and I fear it will be quite a while before we see anything resembling a unified app. In the meantime, I hope the changes that they are making are enough to keep folks interested.

erikals
04-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Monday 3.00PM

to see the presentation, go here > http://waskul.tv
then jump to 6:29

erikals
04-09-2013, 09:27 AM
nobody noticed the friggin' cool Kinect at 7:02... ?
http://waskul.tv

hrgiger
04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
You might not agree with my assessment. But I bring up Zbrush and so on, not as a way to justify 2 apps but rather to point to the fact that LightWavers have been doing it for 20 years. And this is going to be here for a while so get used to it.

Rather than demanding it, I think it would be better to simply look at small things, maybe the simplest things, little by little that can be done and work to gradually build it up over time. Over a long time.

If Newtek has no plan to integrate, I am with you 100 percent, that would be a fatal mistake.

Probably the only thing I don't agree with most people on is the estimate of effort and time factor.

Don't be mistaken, I'm not expecting a integrated application by LW12 or even LW13. But what I have been expecting to see is some hint that they are working towards that end. But again, when you see them introducing things like Fracture in modeler to work with Bullet in Layout, or Genoma in modeler to work in Layout, I see no indication that they intend to give up the split application workflow. That's not to say that maybe they are restructuring code behind the scenes and that there are plans and work going on that we don't see. But I would think that if they wanted to promote LightWave as an application one might want to still be using a few years to several down the road, that they might give some hint or indication that they are working towards an application that will overcome the weaknesses that a split application suffers, the few things I mentioned in my last post as being examples.

As far as LightWave being around for 20 years as a basis of why it might be around for 20 more, well I can't see that logic holds up. 3D apps have become much more competitive in the last several years. Prices are more competitive then they used to be and there are new apps like Modo which many LW users have left for, Blender has become much more desirable as an alternative and there are many new specialty apps that might be enough for some peoples needs.... The bottom line is that LightWave needs more then ever to show its strengths as a 3D option instead of standing out as one of the only applications to have a split application workflow. I see not being able to correct bad deformations directly on the model, not being able to match camera plates with modeling tools, not being able to weight directly on the deforming mesh as large liabilities when I'm looking at all the other apps that take those features for granted.

wesleycorgi
04-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Monday 3.00PM

to see the presentation, go here > http://waskul.tv
then jump to 6:29
Good stuff; it's amazing what Rob was able to do in 24 hours in 2004 and respectively when he worked early on in Avatar/Project 880.

Chuck
04-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Folks, if you need to continue the unified vs split debate, let's take that to another thread. I'll move most of the messages on that topic and put the link here, if we need.

Chuck
04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Update (also added to first post):

Andrew Cross interview at StudioXperience is here: http://waskul.tv/portfolio/andrew-cross-cto-newtek/

I'll post the link for the Rob Powers interview as well, as soon as it comes available.

And if you haven't noticed, StudioXperience is running LightWave reels in a lot of the pre- and between-show segments today. They ran several this morning before starting the interviews for the day, for example.

wesleycorgi
04-09-2013, 01:57 PM

I'll post the link for the Rob Powers interview as well, as soon as it comes available.

Per Erikals, you can find it embedded in the long version at 6hrs 29min — great overview of Rob's methodology for his work in Avatar. Was rushed at the end, but still a good talk.

Nicolas Jordan
04-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Great! I was planning on watching it live but got distracted by other things and forgot about it.

Chuck
04-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Per Erikals, you can find it embedded in the long version at 6hrs 29min — great overview of Rob's methodology for his work in Avatar. Was rushed at the end, but still a good talk.

As nearly as I can tell the "long version" of yesterday's recorded stream was just running overnight, and stopped when the broadcast went live this morning. I'm getting nothing but the live show at the root link since then, and it is growing through the day, so it is possible to see the earlier segments from today, but not possible to see the segments from yesterday.

lardbros
04-09-2013, 03:22 PM
I can't seem to find the bit with Rob P in it... can anyone provide a link to the actual video? They seem to be showing live stuff on the main page

erikals
04-09-2013, 03:42 PM
i posted a low-res version here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyS-SyQza0s

i can take it down if you want to. (just give a howler)

wesleycorgi
04-09-2013, 04:08 PM
As nearly as I can tell the "long version" of yesterday's recorded stream was just running overnight, and stopped when the broadcast went live this morning. I'm getting nothing but the live show at the root link since then, and it is growing through the day, so it is possible to see the earlier segments from today, but not possible to see the segments from yesterday.

Ahh, ok. I had it open since this morning so I could listen to it in-between work breaks.

wesleycorgi
04-09-2013, 04:10 PM
never mind.

H_Molla
04-09-2013, 04:20 PM
That's all !! no news about future ??

erikals
04-09-2013, 04:26 PM
that's for Siggraph... in 3months, 1week...

Chuck
04-09-2013, 04:35 PM

Which product line are you asking about?

If video, we've made our announcement of the release of the 3Play 4800. Typically on the video side, there are not future technology demos, but demos of the capability of products currently available from NewTek.

If 3D, NAB is not typically where the 3D team unveils technologies in development. NAB is a huge international broadcast show and as such there is interest in currently available 3D tools that affect broadcast production, but there is not a big attendance component of folks primarily oriented to graphics technology and not the research-and-development orientation toward computer graphics that leads so many vendors at SIGGRAPH (which has all those components that I've just cited as not present in NAB) to show technologies in progress rather than sticking to technologies already in production. If the 3D team is going to talk about the future, they do that at SIGGRAPH.

lardbros
04-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Oh... you're awesome! :D Thanks for posting this and taking the time to capture it!! :D Verrrry interesting talk... the Lino and Kinect robot was most interesting indeed! :D

Cageman
04-09-2013, 06:31 PM

Hmm... is Kinect supported in LW11.5 or is it something that will come later? Can't remember that I've seen anything about it until I watched the video erikals posted.

H_Molla
04-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Personally I did enjoy the presentation of Rob, but I was hoping to hear " not see ' that things is on the pipe line..
An idea...
And thanks for you clarification :-)

H_Molla
04-09-2013, 06:45 PM
I think d-storm had a plugin for kinect..

Andrewstopheles
04-09-2013, 06:47 PM
That Lightwave plugin for Kinect - where can I get it? I've tried to find it on dstorm's site - is there an integrated plugin now as well?

Areyos Alektor
04-09-2013, 07:05 PM
D-Storm hasn't communicated on his plugin since told they work on it for the 11. At the last Siggraph Rob said that the Kinect would be added in the Virtual Studio. We can see that it advance. It's now necessary to "harass" Lino of questions to have more :)

jasonwestmas
04-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Don't harass Lino. :twak: ;)

Surrealist.
04-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Don't be mistaken, I'm not expecting a integrated application by LW12 or even LW13. But what I have been expecting to see is some hint that they are working towards that end. But again, when you see them introducing things like Fracture in modeler to work with Bullet in Layout, or Genoma in modeler to work in Layout, I see no indication that they intend to give up the split application workflow. That's not to say that maybe they are restructuring code behind the scenes and that there are plans and work going on that we don't see. But I would think that if they wanted to promote LightWave as an application one might want to still be using a few years to several down the road, that they might give some hint or indication that they are working towards an application that will overcome the weaknesses that a split application suffers, the few things I mentioned in my last post as being examples.

As far as LightWave being around for 20 years as a basis of why it might be around for 20 more, well I can't see that logic holds up. 3D apps have become much more competitive in the last several years. Prices are more competitive then they used to be and there are new apps like Modo which many LW users have left for, Blender has become much more desirable as an alternative and there are many new specialty apps that might be enough for some peoples needs.... The bottom line is that LightWave needs more then ever to show its strengths as a 3D option instead of standing out as one of the only applications to have a split application workflow. I see not being able to correct bad deformations directly on the model, not being able to match camera plates with modeling tools, not being able to weight directly on the deforming mesh as large liabilities when I'm looking at all the other apps that take those features for granted.

I can't see anything here I disagree with. (Before the thread cop comes around and deletes this) I think things just get lost in translation a bit over posts on a forum. I see where you are coming from and I think we are on the same page. For now, here, better leave it at that.:)

Chuck
04-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Broadcast Minds(TM):

Broadcast Minds is coming up in less than an hour now! The live stream for Broadcast Minds(TM) at 9am PDT this morning will be on the NAB Show homepage, www.nabshow.com.

If you are unable to watch the live stream, we will be posting the conversation on our website after we return from NAB.

Enjoy!

LW_Will
04-10-2013, 11:57 AM
That Lightwave plugin for Kinect - where can I get it? I've tried to find it on dstorm's site - is there an integrated plugin now as well?

You might ask them.

Might work.

;-X

DerRaucher
04-10-2013, 04:34 PM
got home from work and saw rob and lino performing the Robot with kinect
that was rly cool stuff :)
hope to see it soon so i can use my kinect with lw

Gratulations

phillydee
04-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Just wanted to throw this out.

I got to spend some time with Lino yesterday looking at his work on Kinect with Virtual Studio (as I informed him I wouldn't make the 3PM showing today.) First, Lino: Thank you for taking time to give me and my colleague a demo and for just generally being awesome. MUCH RESPECT!!!

I have to say, I was pretty impressed with what he was able to do with Kinect and plugging that data into a working rig. What I saw was the regular 360 Kinect device, no need for the PC Kinect version. As for LW: it had the Kinect listed as one of the input devices in Virtual Studio. My take:I can see it paying off greatly for generating lots of animations for crowds, extras, NPC type characters which I am definitely interested in.

Areyos Alektor
04-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Don't harass Lino. :twak: ;)

Oh, I thought just to require it to use Motion Builder 1 hour or 2 :p

Chuck
04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Rob is on live again: http://waskul.tv/

He started at about 1:30:00 on the stream timeline for today, so you should be able to view this all day, as they just let it accumulate during the day.

DesertRat
04-12-2013, 11:12 AM

I thought the "perimeter consolidation"(?) technology Rob talked about was cool - where everything within the sphere was preserved, and everything outside was converted to a texture map and then...deleted/excluded? He mentions it around 20:00 on the above link.

erikals
04-12-2013, 11:35 AM
it's an easy trick actually, all you do is remove the geometry within that sphere, make the sphere reflective, and bake it. then use that textured sphere and map the baked environment image onto it.

now you got a baked environment.
(unless i'm wrong, Rob?...)

i'm pretty sure that's it, seldom used, but a neat trick... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

DesertRat
04-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks erikals for the tip! I gotta give that a try!

csandy
04-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Here's some good wrap-up stuff from NAB. http://www.studiotech.tv/stl81/ Also take a look at the floor interviews.

mummyman
04-15-2013, 12:32 PM

Sweet! Thanks for posting. Some of my work got into the presentation around 30 min / 15 second mark! The medical work. Very nice presentation from Rob

prometheus
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Fracture was also introduced in layout..not modeler only, and that was not possible previously, so some things are getting over, granted we want more.and more.
Like bends, paint weights and sculpt deform....animated extrusions, for a starter kit:)

Michael