PDA

View Full Version : Creative Technical Director Demo Reel

Ulven
04-05-2013, 02:13 PM
http://vimeo.com/61476275
Here's my latest demo reel. Most of the rendered shots are from LW, and the rigging stuff etc are from messiah. I also use XSI and Unity.
Probably one of the most interesting things on the LW side was the creation of EPIC (Extreme Plankton Invasion Code) which automated setting up rendering and effects for the TV show Plankton Invasion. It would read and write lws files generating automatic matte passes, UV passes, character / bg passes etc, and also set up hypervoxels for use both in detailing and effects, analyzing animation curves to figure out the timing and scale of effects. In addition it would automatically set up all the comps to reference the correct render files and implement the effects so that everything could be done 80-100% of the way there without human intervention. In the end it could do so many things with a lightwave scene through direct python manipulation I started dubbing it litewave :) It would also submit the files to the render farm and check that the frames were complete. In the end a team of 4 artists could render and comp a 7 minute episode each per month.
Hope you enjoy!

kfinla
04-05-2013, 03:09 PM
I knew this would be awesome before I hit play. Great work as usual Vegard.

UnCommonGrafx
04-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Makes Messiah look fun.

Titus
04-05-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm fan of Plankton Invasion.

OnlineRender
04-05-2013, 03:53 PM
AAA work ...quality stuff

lino.grandi
04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Awesome work.

geo_n
04-05-2013, 09:38 PM
automated setting up rendering and effects for the TV show Plankton Invasion. It would read and write lws files generating automatic matte passes, UV passes, character / bg passes etc, and also set up hypervoxels for use both in detailing and effects, analyzing animation curves to figure out the timing and scale of effects. In addition it would automatically set up all the comps to reference the correct render files and implement the effects so that everything could be done 80-100% of the way there without human intervention.

Amazing talent! Master rigger, master animator, AND master developer.

This kind of tools are what Newtek needs to license/buy/ or create on their own to leverage what other software are doing integrating into appz lik AE, nuke, etc. Pixomondo has something similar but unless they become avail for the general public, its lightwave loss.

Ulven
04-06-2013, 01:50 PM
:) Thanks a lot guys! Super happy about the response.
Regarding newtek licensing/buying something like EPIC, it could be made more general but really this was made specifically to suit the project's pipeline etc. It wouldn't just lift out and be placed into another pipeline/project quite so easily. The approach of it however, could be, which is why people should hire me to do it *shameless* :). I think it would be good to set up some kind of general software that approached this sort of thing in this sort of way though, but I think that would need some kind of investment. EPIC was developed agile, which means that it worked from day one, but we kept adding effects to it the whole first year of production. It had about 60 effects ready to order off the menu for any shot in the end.

geo_n
04-06-2013, 11:01 PM
There you go Newtek. A developer plus actual cg skills to match ready to be hired!
Wouldn't it be great if pmg and newtek cooperated to make better software. As modo is getting better and better with each release, messiah and lightwave userbase is going to be really affected.

Hail
04-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Wow!(picks jaw from ground)

Ulven
04-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Also added a games only reel for the games I've made:

http://vimeo.com/63651870

WilliamVaughan
04-09-2013, 12:46 PM
impressive work!

Netvudu
04-10-2013, 01:50 AM
Wonderful reel! Now...I was mislead by the reel and thread title. I mean, maybe Iīm wrong but I would swear this is a Rigging TD reel. I donīt know what a Creative TD is in work terms.