PDA

View Full Version : Meshuggah - I Am Colossus

down_in_black
04-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Animated and directed the new Meshuggah video "I Am Colossus"!

Animation and rendering in Lightwave. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTYXbFsWg-M

jmrodro
04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Very cool! Congratulations!

souzou
04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Woah very very cool. Really not my kind of music but the video worked perfectly for it, atmosphere is super creepy! Grading and editing is superb too.

The distortion around the characters worked really well, how did you do that (if you don't mind me asking)?

COBRASoft
04-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Sick, creepy and beautiful :). I like it!

Titus
04-05-2013, 03:47 PM
That was weird :).

bazsa73
04-05-2013, 04:09 PM
not before sleeping time! :)

lino.grandi
04-06-2013, 01:08 AM
I simply love it.

kadri
04-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Great video! I got a movie feel too from this.

tyrot
04-06-2013, 03:39 AM
wooohaa! Reminds me old TOOL videos - but super creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy super great - CONGR. you have a fan here!
Incredible editing as well -

and superrrrrrrrrb animation - and brilliant ideas... Man you have a bright future .. this is a great video!

djwaterman
04-06-2013, 05:53 AM
That was absolutely fantastic. I find it hard to comprehend doing something that good. Really amazing on so many levels. Damn you!

bazsa73
04-06-2013, 08:06 AM
plus side of this style one doesn't need to worry about flickering GI lol!

skype6
04-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Nice style! Aggressive but very good :thumbsup:

Pamela G. Juust
04-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Very cool! Looks pretty convincingly like stop motion.

safetyman
04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
A cross between Silent Hill and The Cell. Very cool.

allabulle
04-08-2013, 02:34 AM
Great! Congratulations.

Somehow it reminded me of the German Expressionism and F. W. Murnau in particular. Again, loved the clip, congratulations.

Greenlaw
04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
This is fantastic! I don't normally go back to study videos the way I used to but I certainly took the time for this one--beautiful designs and techniques!

Congratulations!

G.

Cageman
04-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Meshuggah is my alltime favourite metalband, and a huge influence for my own metalmusic!

Congrats!

Cageman
04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Oh...

It would be great to see some behind the scenes article about the production of this video. :)

dsol
04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Really great work. Cool design, decent animation, great editing and compositing!

G.o.D
04-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Finally Lightwave was used in something with good music ;)

down_in_black
04-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

...The distortion around the characters worked really well, how did you do that (if you don't mind me asking)?

The darkness around the characters are geometry driven by bones and distorted with layered procedural textures. Controlled with a null in the rig.

Olaf
04-09-2013, 01:45 PM
wow! nice work ... and my favorite band!! :)

Cageman
04-10-2013, 01:53 AM
Thanks for all the comments!

The darkness around the characters are geometry driven by bones and distorted with layered procedural textures. Controlled with a null in the rig.

Nice!

How long did you work on the video?

down_in_black
04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Nice!

How long did you work on the video?

The production became a rather drawn out process. Several longer breaks mid way because of scheduling, tours, approvals etc.
The video was "in production" for several month from idea to completion. Actual production time I would estimate around 8 weeks and involved everything from writing and designing characters to editing and final grade.
Was really important to try and work smart, since all of the work had to be doable by 1 person. It also helped that the band was really open to my ideas and didn't bring any heavy changes my way.

akaracquel
04-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Conceptualisation & structure - brilliant & deeply moving. Feeling gobsmacked & shocked (in a good way) by the visual signatures/icons present in this work.

wingzeta
04-11-2013, 01:13 AM
Awesome. Very refined look and feel. If you get the chance, it would be great to hear about your process. I'm sure a lot of us would like to know a little more about the techniques, or whatever you are willing to share.

Congrats on a kick*** video!

ArtGoblin
04-11-2013, 02:32 AM
love it !

3DGFXStudios
04-11-2013, 02:41 AM
I liked the animation without sound better ;) Really nice style!

dee
04-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Awesome!!!

Cageman
04-11-2013, 06:59 AM
The production became a rather drawn out process. Several longer breaks mid way because of scheduling, tours, approvals etc.
The video was "in production" for several month from idea to completion. Actual production time I would estimate around 8 weeks and involved everything from writing and designing characters to editing and final grade.
Was really important to try and work smart, since all of the work had to be doable by 1 person. It also helped that the band was really open to my ideas and didn't bring any heavy changes my way.

Sounds like you had a pretty good time doing it, despite the breaks!

Top notch work! :thumbsup:

prometheus
04-11-2013, 12:14 PM

Awesome ..dark and sinister with a nice style, great work Magnus.

Im no hard metal fan though, just canīt stand the way vocals are performed, I might be able to cope with the pure music though.

Was there any fluid involved, like turbulence or maybe live footage comping of that? looks like some fluid vapor in there.

Michael

down_in_black
04-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks again for the comments everybody.

Awesome ..dark and sinister with a nice style, great work Magnus.

Im no hard metal fan though, just canīt stand the way vocals are performed, I might be able to cope with the pure music though.

Was there any fluid involved, like turbulence or maybe live footage comping of that? looks like some fluid vapor in there.

Michael

I did think about using fluids (Turbulence) on the characters and as some fx, but decided it was way to time consuming.

What you are seeing as "fluids" in the video are layered/warped textures, displaced geometry and video material composited in.

I did use some volumetric lights on a few places and some shots with hypervoxels at the end.

djwaterman
04-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks Magnus for the quote. It just went up, first post for April. Watching it again I can't believe the layers of thought gone into it. Hope you get more interesting commissions in the future.

wrightyp100
04-15-2013, 01:37 AM
That was great! Do you mind me asking how long the label gave you to do everything?