PDA

View Full Version : Off-axis scaling in the OTHER direction

jeric_synergy
04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
I thought AXIS-SCALE would help me here, but AFAICS, it does not:

It seems that AXIS-SCALE always acts equally along the designated axis, but does not allow one to scale on just one dimension (in this case, to make the circular dial thinner, but still circular).

What's the proper tool to accomplish this task? And I want it to be a proper scale, not a Transform masquerading as a Scale. :cool:

nickdigital
04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
What about the Align Plane tool? Use it to align your geometry to the origin, perform your scale and then restore the model back to its original orientation.

jeric_synergy
04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
OK, that's a valid solution, but let me crank up the whine machine (borrowed it from some right-wingers): Geeze, after all these years we're still stuck with that?

I was really expecting that, especially when one has a clearly defined axis, that a very intuitive "arbitrary axis sizer" would be simple and easy to use. AxisScale is very much a SCALE, not a Sizer. :(

Sadly, I'm just not having much luck with the "Axis-etc" tools-- they never quite do what I'm expecting. I often experience unexpected sideways displacement when using AxisTranslate. I'm sure it's all pilot error, but their workflow is not very natural for me.

BeeVee
04-04-2013, 01:38 PM
What about the Transform tool?

B

JoePoe
04-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I know you're not gonna like this, but Translate Plus does a great job! 50% is 50% (etc....) right ? Translate tool or not. :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
I turns out AXIS SCALE does allow non-uniform scaling by, get this, turning off "UNIFORM".

@^@

LOL. Seriously, a little expansion in the dox on that would go a long way. Technically it IS there, but phrased rather elliptically.

+++

I know you're not gonna like this, but Translate Plus does a great job! 50% is 50% (etc....) right ? Translate tool or not. :thumbsup:
Well, the name doesn't bug me. :dance:

BUT, doesn't this just do a PolyNormal move? That's not really a Scale, is it? In that a scale is proportional. (???)

JoePoe
04-04-2013, 03:28 PM
.....doesn't this just do a PolyNormal move? That's not really a Scale, is it? In that a scale is proportional. (???)

Looks dead-on proportional to me. :beerchug:
Wanna devise a test?

jeric_synergy
04-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Wanna devise a test?
I'd forgotten all the tricks Translate+ has up its sleeve. :sleeping: 8~ Here's my test object, seems to be proportional, so Hurrah!