PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime and Toaster Edit

Demon8
11-07-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm wondering if Newtek could help us all out by supporting Quicktime Movie Files in Toaster Edit. I use Digitaljuice Jumpbacks and when I bring them in thru Aura, it takes to long. I have some Jumpback that are all ready processed as QT files and it would be nice just be able to pull a QT file to the timeline and plat it.

ArthurDent
11-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but we use the Juicer (version 2.0.4) to create rtv's. Then they are ready to go in VT3.

This doesn't answer your question directly but you have to render tham as something, it might as well be rtv's, right?

If you need to go through Aura, turn your preload off. that way you can load it and export it very quickly. We have used Aura effectively in this manner as well.

Peace Out!

Jim_C
11-07-2003, 12:20 PM
When you load them into Aura do not select pre-load.
They will load instantly and then you can save them as rtv or what not.

djlithium
11-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Here is a neat trick.
this only works on certain types of .mov files.

Simple rename the extension .avi and load them into Toaster edit. :)

Bang... you got quicktime.

It works for sure with quicktime movies from Final Cut pro with the DV codec.

Killer:)

I think the VT3 team should cook a script for "extension renaming" for these kinds of things. No weird apple licensing to get it to work and its a quick way to support quicktime.

mgrusin
11-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Good trick, but only for that specific QT type. If the Toas- sorry; VT's architecture supports it, I'd really like to see the licensing and technical issues worked out so that we can transparently use any QT format from inside VT, even as a $ add-on.

This limitation slows me down from time to time when Mac-based clients bring in their files; I know you can use Aura to convert them, but I've had problems with QT audio tracks requiring "unusual" workarounds.

-MG

djlithium
11-09-2003, 12:04 AM
I am guessing (will test this when I am infront of the box on monday) that you should be able to use this trick with any quicktime formated file with any codec that was used to produce that mov. You of course would need to have that codec on the box and more then likely quicktime installed.

I will give it a try and see what I come up with.

This is another reason vidget should be brought back from the dead. It was a handy tool for doing format conversions quickly and kicked ***.

Bring back vidget!!

bradl
11-09-2003, 01:39 PM
It only works on DV files because they are essentially the same under QT just a different extension (mov). It is my understanding that native QT files, and all other codecs not DV, supported by QT, will not work. There was a detailed thread about this a few months ago somewhere... can't find it...

djlithium
11-09-2003, 02:53 PM
hmmm, makes sense.

So whats the deal then is Apple being all nazi-ish of the licensing to a competing application to Final Cut Pro? Or is it just a deal in progress.

bradl
11-09-2003, 09:53 PM
I don't know Newtek's official stand or Apple's for that matter, but something that may shed some light on the subject is a response from Paul when questioned about Aura's ability to use QT:

Re: QuickTime
Posted: 20 Jul 2003 06:33 PM
NewTek neither licenses nor includes QuickTime.
Aura simply has hooks to use Quicktime loaders and savers, which is not the same as real-time QT playback.

so maybe it's a technical issue with real-time or licensing or both...