PDA

View Full Version : Head WIP

dmg3d
03-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Hey everyone-

Here's a character I'm working on... one problem I ran into was starting out with too much detail. By the time I got to joining the two halves of the head, the skull (especially at the top) had way too many polys. Luckily this character will have hair (and a hat).

Now I'm wondering what's the best way to tackle the eyebrows. I don't have Sasquatch (yet)... heck I don't even have LW 7.5 (still in 6.5). But since I'll be using MorphMixer for the face, and will be getting both Sas and updating LW, should I be adding more detail for eyebrows... or just leave it as is and wait for Sasquatch to handle the detail?

Just looking for some input before I get too far.

Thanks
-Dave

dmg3d
03-04-2003, 09:00 AM
side view:

Rory_L
03-05-2003, 03:39 AM
It`s Robert Mitchum!

If you`re getting full Sasquatch, then do the eybrows with that. I`ve been the poly route and it`s a nightmare if you want photo realism!

Yes your `low poly` cage is rather high poly isn`t it? Use this to your advantage and get them working for you as animatable wrinkles...then render at sub-patch 2 not 3.

Cheers,

R

dmg3d
03-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Thanks Rory

Wow, good eye on the Robert Mitchum! Film noir fan?

With regards to Sasquatch, are there any "gotchas" that I should keep in mind when doing MorphMixer? Is there any problem with creating the different morphs and then adding the Sasquatch details later? eg- I'm worried that if I create a morph to raise the eyebrows and then later add the Sasquatch eyebrows to the base model, the Sasquatch eyebrows won't move with the morph...

Thanks
-Dave

Rory_L
03-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Wow, good eye on the Robert Mitchum! Film noir fan?
But of course! Seen the one where he`s a scary preacher? I think it`s his best film.

I only have SasLite at the moment, but I imagine the real thing isn`t so different. SasLite is applied to surfaces, so when the surface deforms, the hair should move with it.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

R

TerryFord
03-06-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Rory_L
Seen the one where he`s a scary preacher? I think it`s his best film.

Night Of The Hunter :). Classic. Shelly Winters strapped into the car underwater, hair flowing...

Excellent model. Sasquatch is very good for eyebrows, there's a good sample eyebrow scene on the full sas disk (or downloadable from the site). I usually paint a soft eyebrow onto the colour map, then use a hard version of it as a density map in Sas.

Regards,
Terry

dmg3d
03-06-2003, 10:05 AM
"But of course! Seen the one where he`s a scary preacher? I think it`s his best film."

Rory:
That's funny you should bring that one up - I've been on the waiting list for the DVD from the library! I've heard it's one of THE films to see. "Chilll-DREN!!"

"SasLite is applied to surfaces, so when the surface deforms, the hair should move with it. "

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear.

"Shelly Winters strapped into the car underwater"

Terry:
Shelly Winters underwater AGAIN? :p
Thanks for the input on Sas - I'll check out the downloads.
(BTW, your work is very inspiring)

-Dave