PDA

View Full Version : mac LW is cursed.

eblu
04-02-2013, 10:05 PM
I have been fortunate for the last few years to NOT need to do much heavy modeling in LW.

today I am trying to clean up a very Nice model of an F-22. It's got way more geometry than I need, and all I want to do is delete the extra bits, close the hatches and get animating.

I am appalled at modeler's incredibly slow interface. I am trying to rotate 1000 polygons, and the Interface drops out of contact for over 2 minutes... nothing happens for 2 minutes... Then it freaks out. I get no feedback at all for my rotation, and the selected polys are now clear across the screen. This isn't 1998. I'm not running LW 5.5. WTF? I've got 24 gigs of ram, 4 terabytes of disk space, 8 processors... and we're talking specifically about 1000 quad polys NOT subDivs. I am not displaying textures, or even SMOOTH polys, its flat shaded, 1 view (perspective).

I already Know about the MISERABLE selection bug... which I was personally promised a fix for way back in v 10... and has yet to surface.

...but this is intolerable... what the hell happened? Did someone at newtek just wake up one day and decide to just gut the app? It used to be so much more useable.

mike_stening
04-03-2013, 02:13 AM
any chance of letting some of us test the model on other macs

UnCommonGrafx
04-03-2013, 03:38 AM
I use a similar machine daily.
Right now, I am modeling our campus. So far, I know I am over 100k of polys. Yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised that it was a smooth experience.
I go back and forth, wintel to mac and back, and both have their quirks.

Merge (m) and merge polys (shift I) is what I do when I experience this.

Phil
04-03-2013, 03:59 AM
You don't give us much information to go on, but Modeler doesn't exhibit that behavior here. The usual questions : does the model have many layers? Smooth shading make any difference?

gerry_g
04-03-2013, 09:38 AM
had to move half a million pollys in a UV map the other day (this was in Modo 701) and they just would not budge, so I took them into LW 11.5 and low and behold it was pretty effortless, and this on my old eight core with a poxy Radion HD 5770 not even an 80, 11.5 even beat Modo 601 on a 12 core with a radeon HD 5780 for move speed

CaptainMarlowe
04-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I sometimes model quite heavy models over 300K, and modeler works quite good on my 2009 iMac. I use multitexture shaders, not GSGL, though, which is much slower.

lertola2
04-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I feel your pain. It seems to me that modeler is good for working on objects up to 100,000 polys. But more than that is painful and tedious as you are seeing. If i have to manipulate large poly count objects I bring it into zbrush which can handle objects with 4,000,000 polygons with no problem.

dsol
04-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Is this using the new transform tool? if so, there is a pause when you first use it as it transfers data over to the new mesh engine. Once it's copied over, you should find it very smooth to work with. This is just a quirk of the dual-architecture running under Lightwave now (as part of the transition to the new engine).

You'll see the same delay when you use the other new tools - thicken, heatshrink and edge tools. But as I said, once it finishes initialising, you'll find it swifter than a buttered swift thing!

jeric_synergy
04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Too many undeclared variables: view mode, other apps, whatever. W/O the object to test, impossible to know if it's only your system or a weakness in the s/w.

I'm not begging for the object, just saying it's not possible to know. If for some reason you can't release the object, do you get the same effect if, say, you JITTER it into unrecognizability? Then everyone can take a look.

JonW
04-05-2013, 04:47 AM
I have forgotten who said it but smoothing polys speeds up screen refresh rate. Make then 1% smooth if you still want flat. I do this automatically for all surfaces now (using a PC & it's quick anyway & in my situation haven't noticed a lot of difference). It may help on the Mac with the poor graphics.

eblu
04-05-2013, 07:39 AM
actually, I've identified the culprit. trying to rotate from an arbitrary axis in the perspective view. for some reason this action is so difficult to do that you must be punished for trying to do it.

but since just translating the object itself in an orthogonal view is intolerably slow, and since I don't own the model... and you can't have it, I'll give you an idea of the model stats:
1 layer, 1 surface,
344,852 points.
333,574 polys.
all quads.
no subDivs (it looks like it WAS a much lower poly subdiv model in another life)

there's no reason for any of it to be slow.

and the selection bug... make a selection. press the "grow selection" command : shift + ]
on a high poly count object (apparently 100,000 + polys) you can watch as Modeller redraws every panel, every time it adds a single poly to the selection.
if you were... like I was doing when I discovered the bug... trying to edit a medium density model, you'd actually lose minutes at a time to this bug, as you tried to select say half the polys, by growing the selection into place. But it's not limited to growing the selection, there are quite a few selection modification tools that do this...

I reported it YEARS ago, and it was acknowledged way back then.

fogbugs:
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?41905_7l967nn3qd26dg3u

thread discussing same:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?123524-mac-modeler-expand-selection-slow-down&p=1196762#post1196762