PDA

View Full Version : Rotating an already modeled object/part, when its on a tilt

jeric_synergy
04-02-2013, 03:27 PM
If one is a trifle dim and have modeled a bit of a model on a (semi-) random angle/axis, what's the recommended way to rotate that item, on just one axis, without repositioning it???

Thanks.

nickdigital
04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
The new Axis Rotate tool in 11.5 should do what you want. You can specify the axis and then rotate around that.

For example, if you have polys that define the ends you could use the tool to pick the center of those polys so you have an axis that runs down the center of it.

jeric_synergy
04-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Sorry, I should have specified: I mean in Layout, not Modeler.

I'm thinking Bones are the answer. (?) Unless there's a slick way to orient a null arbitrarily.

nickdigital
04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Sorry, I should have specified: I mean in Layout, not Modeler.

I'm thinking Bones are the answer. (?) Unless there's a slick way to orient a null arbitrarily.

Yeah, you could make a skelegon in Modeler by using the points of the model to create a bone, then use that to rotate it.

jeric_synergy
04-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Skelegons! I hadn't thought of that! Thanks man.

But: surely there IS something that would allow one to align a null to.... hmmm... maybe not.

nickdigital
04-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have geometry that's modeled off axis, but in Layout the rotations are 0/0/0. So you'd have to find a way to align a null to an edge in the model, which I'm not sure you can do.

Personally I try to keep everything at a clean axis, then rotate stuff in Layout. This way if I have to adjust the model then my axis are clean in Modeler. It also makes rigging easier if everything lines up.

Or do the skelegon thing.

TalleyJC
04-02-2013, 05:38 PM
i used oscilator to modify pitch in the past

jeric_synergy
04-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Personally I try to keep everything at a clean axis, then rotate stuff in Layout. This way if I have to adjust the model then my axis are clean in Modeler. It also makes rigging easier if everything lines up.
Oh, absolutely, this is just when I'm being a knucklehead.

BUT, if one is using the "all-one-layer, motions via bones" trick/approach, ya need a workflow.

And it really seems like there "should" be a native workflow for this situation: I guess (I do next to zero rigging) the skelegon thing would work just because a lot of things in the RW are not always perfectly on an axis. Like you could specify a given 2 point poly as an arbitrary axis. (Which skelegons are anyway.)

But obviously the (LW) world has gotten along without it for quite a while.
++++
OK, here's a packaged scene that uses this technique: ONE layer, one part rotated on an arbitrary axis via skelegon. About the only remotely tricky thing is that one must use Local coords on the rotation.