PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.3 and Segment Memory Limit

RPSchmidt
04-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Folks,

Tried quite a bit of searching and have not been able to find a reliable answer.

Running LW 9.3 64 bit on Windows 7 64 bit machine with 12GB of RAM.

I cannot set my Segment Memory Limit above 2GB.

Is this a hard limit? Or is there some other issue?

Thank you very much for any information / advice you can provide.

JonW
04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
2000 Mb is the limit. A render for an A3 at 300dpi (5000x3500 approx) easily fits into 2000 Mb. You must be doing a large area to need more than this. You can work it out to the exact Mb of the area/size of your render. Rough & ready way is just start a render & split the difference in Mb size until you narrow it down to the exact Mb for 1 pass. You will need LW11.5 for up to 16384 Mb.

You have 12 GB ram, just stick it on 2000 Mb & be done with it, LW only uses what it needs for the size of image that is been rendered. Far better to put the effort in, in how you use Layout viewports, you can tie up a stack of ram if you are not careful & have to restart Layout with Bounding Boxes or viewports turned off, or use Screamernet if you need that last bit of ram.

nickdigital
04-02-2013, 11:00 AM
This was uncapped, but I don't think it is in the version you're running.

RPSchmidt
04-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks folks... I don't need the extra RAM, have some guys testing new hardware configurations and they wanted to know if they could raise the segment limit above 2GB and if it had any impact on render speed.

I told them it wouldn't really make a difference, that render speed itself is more CPU-oriented, but they wanted to test it regardless.

Thanks again!

JonW
04-02-2013, 11:16 AM
It does not make any difference in speed! (I did some tests years ago, there was a touch of difference but it really is spitting hairs, not worth wasting the time testing!)

By far the number one thing you need for LW is a fast CPU or more if you can. A distant second is enough ram, & preferably an SSD for loading & saving large files.

dwburman
04-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Why 9.3 and not 9.6.1?