PDA

View Full Version : Delura Behind the scenes: Questions for you all

Ryan Roye
04-02-2013, 08:46 AM
I have some questions I'd like to ask the Lightwave community concerning the complete Behind the Scenes video I'm working on (should be finished finished by April 7th). Specifically, I'm referring to the technical aspects of it. It will be more observational in nature, so while I won't go into exacting details, but I will show how things work in their completed form. This will be premium content available for $10; just know that all earnings will go towards a desperately needed system upgrade.

The big question: Is there anything behind the scenes that would be particularly interesting about Delura's workflow process that anyone would like to see covered? (be it animation, visuals, or covering a specific special effect that was done, audio, directing, promo, Kickstarter thoughts, etc). I will be covering a lot of stuff, but perhaps there's something I might miss without the benefit of suggestions?

You can leave your commentary here, or email me at [email protected]

EDIT: Here's the current content overview of the video...

-Introduction (Explain what will be covered in the video.)
-The story before Delura (Explain earlier projects and how they have influenced Delura's production on a technical level. IE: How does doing things in flash help in a 3d workflow?)
-The workflow (explain how a typical single project gets done from start to finish). This includes concept building, modeling, texturing, etc.
-Episode review and dissection. I will open up every single episode and give people a glimpse of what it looks like, and how I made things work. I do use some unorthadox methods to get things going!

OTHER ASPECTS:

There's other things about the Delura project that don't involve visuals:

-Audio editing/creating/voice acting
-Music (Maybe get our music guy MetalRenard to cover his side of this? Depends if he can get screen capture software working or not and if he's up for it.)
-Working with others/collaboration systems we've explored. This includes our early systems of email, Skype, html message boards, and our current Collaboration Workspace system.
-Marketing/The Kickstarter: My experiences and thoughts on it all. Promo is definitely a whole different beast alltogether... but just as important as the production itself.
-What does the future hold for the Delura project? What are those big unanswered questions yet to be explored?

nickdigital
04-02-2013, 09:05 AM
A lot of your fx stuff is really nice. Seeing how you do that would be nice. You've had some neat scifi technology animations that I'd love to see a breakdown on. For example there was one shot where a character was riding a hover scooter and it folded up and dissolved away in a neat way. I'm sure I could replicate it with the way I work. But what's always impressed me is how quickly you turn out content. So seeing how you get what you get done in the most efficient way would be very educational.

Your textures are very nice looking. It'd be interesting to see how much work goes into that.

Perhaps seeing an asset go from start to finish would be nice.

Ryan Roye
04-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Noted! I take it by the hover scooter you mean EP 005.03? If that's the case, the scooter never dissolved, Rudo was just a child object of the hovercraft the entire time.

Some FX work is achieved by video crossfading... taking multiple bits of video covering the same content and altering/fading it accordingly. This was used to achieve the effect of Lucius's figure being distorted as he entered the portal in EP 003.

I'll throw in my texture painting process for character models... I actually hadn't thought of that! I will say I don't consider modeling/texturing a very strong area in my skillset though.

nickdigital
04-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Noted! I take it by the hover scooter you mean EP 005.03? If that's the case, the scooter never dissolved, Rudo was just a child object of the hovercraft the entire time.

I don't remember the episode off hand, I think it was a wolf character that flew in, got off and the scooter transformed away.

I'll throw in my texture painting process for character models... I actually hadn't thought of that! I will say I don't consider modeling/texturing a very strong area in my skillset though.

I look at it from the point of view that I see a definite vision to what you're doing. Your models and characters are designed to fit in a world that is designed for you to ultimately tell a story. I think that message is important for people.

robyht
04-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi
Big fan of Delura, I would like to see how you get the storylines and scripts together. Cgi techniques are well covered in all sorts of other videos, but story and character development is sadly neglected in most behind the scenes videos, its a fascinating aspect and I for one would be very interested in seeing how you work.
Cheers
Rob

Ryan Roye
04-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi
Big fan of Delura, I would like to see how you get the storylines and scripts together. Cgi techniques are well covered in all sorts of other videos, but story and character development is sadly neglected in most behind the scenes videos, its a fascinating aspect and I for one would be very interested in seeing how you work.
Cheers
Rob

I'll see if I can't find an interesting way to convey the process that actually goes into writing/concepts... a lot of it is a combination of pencil sketches, rough models done in Lightwave, and notepad. I did try using Celtx for a while but it was a little overkill for what we were doing. Now, at the "bleeding edge" of Delura's development workflow, we're going to try using our new PHP-based collaboration workspace for all of our concept/writing tasks so that everyone is on the same page at all times... it seems to be working well so far and I will cover that in the video too.