PDA

View Full Version : THE WRAP: VFX House Pixomondo Shuts Shanghai Office, Will Abandon Film

robertoortiz
04-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Quote:
"Visual-effects company Pixomondo will abandon much of its film business after shutting its Shanghai office in the wake of closures in London and Detroit, the company told TheWrap."

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/vfx-house-pixomondo-shuts-shanghai-moves-away-film-exclusive-83341

Celshader
04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Quote:
"Visual-effects company Pixomondo will abandon much of its film business after shutting its Shanghai office in the wake of closures in London and Detroit, the company told TheWrap."

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/vfx-house-pixomondo-shuts-shanghai-moves-away-film-exclusive-83341

Because of the unfortunate time-stamp, I'm waiting until tomorrow to figure out if this "exclusive" article is an April Fool's prank or not.

XswampyX
04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
You have to laugh, not that this is funny but using cheaper labour from abroad and sacking your own staff will mean your product sells less as more people are out of work. If only one industry did it, then it's not so bad but it's become business practice #1.

It will only sort it self out when our wages are at the same level as China. :(

jrandom
04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Simply put, free trade only works when the people are as free to move around as the jobs.

Celshader
04-02-2013, 04:00 PM
From Variety reporter David S. Cohen's Twitter feed:

From https://twitter.com/Variety_DSCohen/status/318961366687965184

Thilo emailed me at 10:17 pm: "Pixomondo is not "abandoning film" or the Visual Effects Business. Neither for Feature nor TV."

Titus
04-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Bad taste joke IMO.

Dexter2999
04-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Actually, I'm not certain it was entirely a joke as much as exaggerated. What I read was that they want to begin to steer towards other markets. I read that as diversification to markets that are perhaps a little less "cutthroat" than feature film (which is labor intensive and highly competitive)

And I did note that the article said they were closing the Shanghai office and moving some of the people to the Beijing office. On their website you will find ZERO jobs listed of the Shanghai office whereas there are jobs listed for pretty much every other office.

So, I'm not sold that this was a "joke".

Titus
04-02-2013, 11:07 PM
They had a booth at the job fair at SIGGRAPH, a nice German girl was there at that moment. I was appalled on how many offices around the world Pixomondo had, maybe they grew too much.

LW_Will
04-03-2013, 12:32 AM
From Variety reporter David S. Cohen's Twitter feed:

But... they are closing the Shanghai office?

Confusing times nowadays...

Darth Mole
04-03-2013, 08:54 AM
They had a booth at the job fair at SIGGRAPH, a nice German girl was there at that moment. I was appalled on how many offices around the world Pixomondo had, maybe they grew too much.

What's so appalling about having offices in other territories?

Titus
04-03-2013, 09:14 AM
What's so appalling about having offices in other territories?

Nothing if you're Coca-cola Co. But if you're in the VFX business...