PDA

View Full Version : Confusion: not 'getting' the 11.5 Align Tool / anti-grokking / noobation

jeric_synergy
04-01-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure why, but I'm just not 'getting' (comprehending) the new 11.5 Align Tool.

Given the sample object { 113213 } what are the steps to align the green plane with any given face on the red cube?

Thanks, and sorry for the noobosity. 8/ :D :help:

Celshader
04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure why, but I'm just not 'getting' (comprehending) the new 11.5 Align Tool.

Given the sample object { 113213 } what are the steps to align the green plane with any given face on the red cube?

Thanks, and sorry for the noobosity. 8/ :D :help:

You are trying to move the geometry of the green plane, and only the green plane, so your first step should be:

1) Select the geometry of the green plane.

2) Activate the 11.5 Align tool.

Since you want to align your green plane to the red cube:

3) Click on the poly of the green plane that represents the poly you want to align to the red cube.

Then:

4) Click on a poly of the red cube.

The selected geometry will move in such a way that the base of the normal of the first polygon you clicked will touch the base of the normal of the second polygon you clicked. It will also rotate so that the normal of the first polygon is aligned with the normal of the second polygon, but it will face in the opposite direction.

jeric_synergy
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Mkuch obliged, Jen.

jeric_synergy
04-02-2013, 03:14 PM
That's a really good tool: I had to line up a disk to another disk that was at some weird angle. Slick as something-very-slick.

Thanks again, Jen. (Still had to come back here and get a refresher, oy!)