PDA

View Full Version : Building car, freeze geometry?

raw-m
03-31-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm building my first "proper" car and got a little question for the Pros'!

I'm battling a little with the perfectionist in me that wants to keep everything as quads and keep everything smooth and subpatched!

I'll find my feet eventually and it depends on the complexity of the model but I'm just interested to know who keeps everything subpatched from start to end and who freezes their mesh before carving in the details?

hrgiger
03-31-2013, 09:07 AM
If you freeze the model you're pretty much stuck with that resolution. I would never freeze a car model. If you're having trouble modeling the car with subpatches I recommend Lewis's car modeling tutorial.

Nicolas Jordan
03-31-2013, 09:18 AM
If you freeze the mesh and carve in details you could end up with a big mess and lots of issues with geometry. The way most pros do it is to keep everything subpatched and only freeze the model at the end if needed to bring into other programs that don't support subpatch surfaces.

raw-m
03-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Good feedback, I was thinking this would be the case. I've seen a few approaches where the base mesh has been taken to a certain point before freezing, then cutting holes etc... The subD way is so much more flexible, but thought I'd gauge reaction. Will check out Lewis's tut, as well.

djwaterman
03-31-2013, 10:18 AM
What they said.

shrox
03-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Save a few versions, that way you can always go back.

Lewis
03-31-2013, 01:32 PM
No, no freezing here :D. You can model some parts to non subDs (liek tire treads) to sav eon polycoutn but generalyl all subds :).

Just don't be afraid of Triangles, Car is nto defomring body (unles you crash it ;)) so it's not like with characters and you don't have to have all Quads ;). It's good to have them but not mandatory and if you want them all quads you'll probably endup in higher polycount that it could be trying to slice all loops and similar to achieve that.

raw-m
04-01-2013, 05:06 AM
Thanks again all. I can see tris are useful, it's modelling them so they end up in a good place and don't show up in the render is something I struggle with! I aim to use them more on flat parts of the model but nearly always end up on a corner. More practise....!